• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

tanyet

Reaction score
Halfspec, nice to see another Mississippi guy on the forum. My main problem is finding a good tailor anywhere close. As far as I can tell there is only one master tailor in the state and he's not the most accommodating guy.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
Upon further reflection, it appears that they have increased the width in the biceps and sleeves. And noticeably so. I did not ask for this on the remake. I think the waist may have been taken out a tad too much as well. I'll find out in a few days. I hope the alteration credits will cover it.

Ugh, the price keeps tempting me to try Indochino, but this sort of thing keeps turning me off. How are you ever supposed to get the fit right if they keep changing the measures on a whim without even consulting you?!

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Ugh, the price keeps tempting me to try Indochino, but this sort of thing keeps turning me off. How are you ever supposed to get the fit right if they keep changing the measures on a whim without even consulting you?!

Believe me, it's quite frustrating. But the way I see it, it's their money, not mine. As long as I get my end result (be it through remakes or alterations) I'm happy. Not pleased to be wasting the company's money like this, but I can't help their screwups. However, I discourage you from getting the Timeless Charcoal. The fabric is disappointing.

Lorenz, since you have a good amount of experience with Indochino, do you think you could create some sort of subjective ranking system for the fabric quality? Perhaps other frequent buyers can chime in as well. I don't think Indochino will mind if customers opt to get their nicer/more expensive suits
teacha.gif

halfspec

Reaction score
tanyet: I know what you mean. I called every tailor / alterations shop I could find within a 60 mile radius and came up with nothing. No one in Mississippi that I can find wants to do more than sleeve and trouser alterations
frown.gif

I ended up just buying a bunch of binder clips and clipping the back of my jacket in the stomach and chest area until I got the fit I wanted, then measured the cloth that the clips were holding to figure out my reductions.

Here's what I ended up with

Shoulders = -0.5"
Chest = -1"
Stomach = -4"
Biceps = -1"
Wrist = -1"
Sleeve length = -0.75"
Jacket Length = +0.5"

As you can see the jacket's waist suppression was where they really messed up on my suit. Everything else was very close. I logged into my Indochino account and was very surprised to find that EVERYTHING I need adjusted was due to Indochino's "adjustments." They added 4" to my stomach measurement and an inch to my arm measurements
frown.gif

The vest suffered from the same problem. Since it's very large I'm having them remake it with a request for a "fabric back" instead of a lined back.
Thankfully they left the pants alone, which were almost perfect, but I'm having them remade 1" longer.

One thing that I did notice for the first time was my suit came with surgeons cuffs and I didn't even have to ask for them! Hope they come that way on my remade suit because they were cool
smile.gif

Hopefully they'll believe my measurements this time and get it right

Lane

LorenzL

Reaction score
Believe me, it's quite frustrating. But the way I see it, it's their money, not mine. As long as I get my end result (be it through remakes or alterations) I'm happy. Not pleased to be wasting the company's money like this, but I can't help their screwups. However, I discourage you from getting the Timeless Charcoal. The fabric is disappointing. Lorenz, since you have a good amount of experience with Indochino, do you think you could create some sort of subjective ranking system for the fabric quality? Perhaps other frequent buyers can chime in as well. I don't think Indochino will mind if customers opt to get their nicer/more expensive suits
teacha.gif

Yeah, very good idea - I can definitely host it on the website, perhaps including some rating option, so we get a more valid rating (as much as that is possible). The only problem might be that their fabrics are never really the same (see the problem when people get a jacket remade and it doesn't fit with the fabric of the pants anymore). For the record, the Navy Walker Tweed was a really nice fabric, far superior than anything else I have from them (Navy Blue Suit, Ultimate Grey, Blueprint Windowpane).

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
Yeah, very good idea - I can definitely host it on the website, perhaps including some rating option, so we get a more valid rating (as much as that is possible). The only problem might be that their fabrics are never really the same (see the problem when people get a jacket remade and it doesn't fit with the fabric of the pants anymore).

For the record, the Navy Walker Tweed was a really nice fabric, far superior than anything else I have from them (Navy Blue Suit, Ultimate Grey, Blueprint Windowpane).

But that highlights the problem. Most IndoC customers do not know the difference in fabric quality of anything. Maybe vs. some JC Penny or Men's Warehouse, but even those places carry fabrics in a huge range of quality.

And back to the tweed. You say it's better than anything else from them, which may be true, but I have serious concerns over whether this is even real tweed. I mean take a look at what'd I'd consider the definitive tweed source: http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20...LERY/index.htm Tweed should be a woolen and a little rough...nothing comes close besides the worsted wool.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't forget about the indochino groupon from vancouver. this is a referral link, you can go to groupon.com by yourself if you like Indochino $50 for $125 only couple hours left. [on the left side bar, scroll down for INDOCHINO]

aridhol

Reaction score
I received my remake today and I'm pretty thoroughly disappointed.
The jacket is bigger, the arms too long and it still overlaps at the bottom when I button even on button up.

I admire the patience some of you have to do 3 or 4 remakes but I can't. I'll be going straight to a refund and looking to another company.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aridhol
I received my remake today and I'm pretty thoroughly disappointed.
The jacket is bigger, the arms too long and it still overlaps at the bottom when I button even on button up.

I admire the patience some of you have to do 3 or 4 remakes but I can't. I'll be going straight to a refund and looking to another company.

Sorry to hear that. I think it is pretty clear they are continuously failing to address the biggest problem: QC over measurements!

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably a range of different tailors/cutters with various degrees of talent are making their products.
plus when it's busy i'm sure they farm it out locally.

i wonder if they have someone they trust check the end product of it they just ship it off?

aridhol

Reaction score
My biggest issue with both tries which I forgot to mention is that there is huge overlap in the quarters making me look like a small child in mans coat.

raphael__n

Reaction score
I think the arm will be fine as long as the shoulder is reduced. It`s warping now which makes it look fatter (although they did increase the biceps and wrist according to the paperwork). So a shoulder reduction and a small amount of waist suppression should do the trick. I hate the idea of tailoring anything on a suit except sleeves. It`s got potential disaster written all over it. I think that should be manageable under $75. I`m probably going to take it to Tip Top Tailors. I imagine they don`t charge as much and probably know how to work with suits. Although, the company has an odd choice of models. The suit looks like it`s falling off them at the shoulders...

Btw, Indochino just released two new suits and four shirts. Initially, I liked the look of the chocolate brown. Then I realized both were 50% polyester... I`m curious as to who will actually spend $399 on a 2-piece 50% poly suit. The shirts on the other hand are a very refreshing change from the usual corporate style they have been selling. I`m particularly set on getting the Green Glen & Navy, with the Pink & Black being a close second.

Lorenz, the more I look at your Walker Navy Tweed pictures, the more I admire it. The fabric looks worlds better than the Timeless Charcoal just from the pictures. They even cost the same. I would gladly give up my vest if I could have switched it for that. If only I thought about it before a remake. I may have been able to switch before it went out of stock. After all, a solid Navy is an essential just like charcoal. That way I could have started with a quality Navy, and then shot for the Step Above Tweed for my second.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
And back to the tweed. You say it's better than anything else from them, which may be true, but I have serious concerns over whether this is even real tweed. I mean take a look at what'd I'd consider the definitive tweed source: http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20...LERY/index.htm Tweed should be a woolen and a little rough...nothing comes close besides the worsted wool.

I agree with you, especially calling the wool blend fabrics is weird? They reached a new low today by releasing those brown suits for above 400$ and containing 50% (!) polyester... To come back to the Navy Tweed, it's indeed a little rough and pure wool. Hard to see on photos I guess, very visible by daylight and you feel it is different. I can try to get some close-up photos up later. I have to take some time now anyway and get some more quality content (=reviews) on the blog, I'm just so busy with work these days...

Btw, Indochino just released two new suits and four shirts. Initially, I liked the look of the chocolate brown. Then I realized both were 50% polyester... I`m curious as to who will actually spend $399 on a 2-piece 50% poly suit. The shirts on the other hand are a very refreshing change from the usual corporate style they have been selling. I`m particularly set on getting the Green Glen & Navy, with the Pink & Black being a close second.

Lorenz, the more I look at your Walker Navy Tweed pictures, the more I admire it. The fabric looks worlds better than the Timeless Charcoal just from the pictures. They even cost the same. I would gladly give up my vest if I could have switched it for that. If only I thought about it before a remake. I may have been able to switch before it went out of stock. After all, a solid Navy is an essential just like charcoal. That way I could have started with a quality Navy, and then shot for the Step Above Tweed for my second.

Yeah, it's surely the best fabric I have from them, sometimes you have to be lucky when you order from them and I'm glad I jumped on the occasion!

By the way, there is also a new Teacher's Jacket from today. 100% wool, herringbone fabric and that actually looks really nice...

MrInvariant

Reaction score
I have to say that I have come to the conclusion that Indochino is just not worth the trouble.

They have this 'perfect fit guarantee', which looks good on paper, but in reality it costs you serious $$$ to ship back the failed attempts to them, and the whole remake process is a crapshoot. The biggest issue here I think is that they make the suits in China, but you have to return the suit to Canada. In other words, those who remake the suit never get to see the previous one!
baldy[1].gif

raphael__n

Reaction score
The Navy Walker and me just weren`t made to be. At least not yet. Considering I had to get remakes, there wouldn`t have been enough fabric for it anyway.

MrInvariant, depending on your location, shipping back shouldn`t be too expensive. Sending the suits back to China would be much more costly. As I mentioned before, Indochino has an unspoken customer patience requirement. Personally, I spend weeks reading about anything before I make a purchase so it`s bearable for me, but I imagine it`s frustrating for people who expect a suit made right initially. That`s the downside of online MTM. I`m not sure what steps can be taken to reduce this by a significant margin.

I went with Indochino due to the pricing and most importantly, the perfect fit guarantee. No matter how much quality other online MTM shops may have, if the fit doesn`t work, then the entire thing is a waste of money. I could never place blind faith on a company to build me a suit when they haven`t been able to work with me directly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads