• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to button a suit jacket

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was always told with a single breasted jacket that the bottom button is always to be left unbuttoned, but lately in pics advertisements and on more and more people i see them buttoning all 2, 3 or 4 buttons. what is the correct way to do it?

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed the same, but just assumed that the button-all-the-buttons crowd were clueless (except in those rare occassions where the garment was specifically made to be buttoned in that manner).

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick with just the top button. I do up the bottom one on a couple of my jackets, simply because they look better on my frame. But generally the rule is to let the bottom one hang open.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i was always told with a single breasted jacket that the bottom button is always to be left unbuttoned...
As a wearer of single button coats ... and of the unbuttoned look ... this makes sense to me.

GBer

Reaction score
I've always been told to button only the middle button for a 3 button jacket and keep the others open.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Centre ONLY on a three button, top IF YOU MUST on a two.

Never fasten them all - it looks stupid and is a signal to anyone else that you do not wish to talk with them.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Centre ONLY on a three button, top IF YOU MUST on a two.

Never fasten them all - it looks stupid and is a signal to anyone else that you do not wish to talk with them.

That is accomplished much more aesthetically with a raised palm ... small finger and thumb slightly separated from the middle three. This is the universal sign to back off.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The rule is basically bottom button undone on all jackets, unless its a single button. The trend of wearing jackets that way is just a dumb fad and should be ignored. Stick with the classic way of doing it and you will avoid standing out in a way you dont want to stand out. Should you choose to button them all, accent the look by holding a big drink with an umbrella.
a+real+umbrella+drink.jpg

Jay

Reaction score
To be more specific, the top button on a 2-button jacket should be buttoned when standing/walking and the middle button on a 3-button jacket should be buttoned when standing/walking. Your jacket should be unbuttoned when sitting.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i was always told with a single breasted jacket that the bottom button is always to be left unbuttoned, but lately in pics advertisements and on more and more people i see them buttoning all 2, 3 or 4 buttons. what is the correct way to do it?

Lol, wut? 4 buttons?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
I've always been told to button only the middle button for a 3 button jacket and keep the others open.

This supoposedly is the correct way.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
This supoposedly is the correct way.

Nope. In descending order for a three button jacket, the buttons should be fastened:

Sometimes
Always
Never

Always unbutton them all when sitting. Most of my jackets are three button and I like the look of the top two fastened. A three button with the top unfastened has an 'unfinished' look to my eye with a gap at the apex where the lapels look like they should meet but don't quite make it. I realize I am probably in a minority here but life and the SF would be boring if we all thought and dressed the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads