• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For anyone who has ever built an AR:

AR_Detent_FUUUUUU.jpg

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Man, I'd skip that show unless you really want to go and can't wait until next year. The show before Xmas is always jam packed. Unless you like being treated like cattle at the slaughterhouse, I'd wait until March's show. Back in the day VF used to be tolerable because they had two full floors in the VFCC. You could browse with ease even with large numbers in attendance because they had plenty of space and the aisles were quite wide. Those days are long gone.
ffffuuuu.gif

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
What's standard protocol for dry firing a gun you're looking at in a store? Is it ok for some and not others (ok for centerfire but not rimfire?)? Is it best practice to ask the owner if he minds?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Is it best practice to ask the owner if he minds?
Always THIS! Ask first for permission to dry-fire. I have seen a very ugly exchange over a customer dry firing a seller's firearm. Whether it will harm a particular weapon is another issue - it's a courtesy thing.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I've always wanted to get a pre-lock S&W 629 Classic with a 4" barrel for bear country but I've not found a good (concealed) carry solution. In all my travels through bear country I've not seen one person open-carrying, even though it is legal in many states. Someone needs to make a quick-access panel on hiking backpacks for bear guns ....

Mernickle makes a cross draw field carry holster that should work for you. I use one for a 4 5/8 inch barreled Ruger Blackhawk under a coat and it works well. Personally if it's an open carry area that's exactly what I do. It just makes sense from a speed standpoint.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/fc/fc13r1.html

Originally Posted by milosz
I think that weighs about the same as my 329 Night Guard (w/ 2" barrel) - a very nice shooter for .44 Special. I imagine a hot magnum load would be brutal, but hopefully wouldn't be necessary too often.

I need to find some .44 Special that isn't geared toward cowboy shooters - too damn much smoke for indoor ranges.

The stock grips are going into the box and will be replaced with the Smith 500 or Pachmayr decelerator grips. That should take some of the bite out of it. I'll mess with loads until I find a really low level load using Mag brass that shoots to the same point of impact as the Sledgehammers. That way I can practice and go afield without all the resighting malarkey.

Your problem with the 44 loads is they shoot a lead bullet. If you reload you can use a lead bullet with a gas check or go with a jacketed bullet. That'll kill much of the problem.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Yeah, just started looking at the Body Guard last night. I'll add that to the list. Looks like it can be had for $500, making it the cheapest option of all if I want the laser (which I am strongly leaning toward.) Anyone feel that the laser isn't worth the cost?

Thanks for those pics. Kimber looks awfully nice!

Thanks

From what I've seen, the body guard is usually equivalent in price, or lightly less than the S&W J-frame. I was one who never really cared for a laser, but it's at this point that I can understand their benefit. I like the quick target aquisition.

When considering a small conceal firearm, the choices are virtually unlimited.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Mega ZEDU zombie lowers that they released a year or two back - they had military-esque markings that were more subtle than anyone else's zombie lowers.

ZEDU.jpg

zed2.jpg

I can't believe they don't produce more of them.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Always THIS!

Ask first for permission to dry-fire. I have seen a very ugly exchange over a customer dry firing a seller's firearm. Whether it will harm a particular weapon is another issue - it's a courtesy thing.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Thanks

From what I've seen, the body guard is usually equivalent in price, or lightly less than the S&W J-frame. I was one who never really cared for a laser, but it's at this point that I can understand their benefit. I like the quick target aquisition.

When considering a small conceal firearm, the choices are virtually unlimited.

One thing I'm not sure about re: the bodyguard is that the laser isn't integrated into the grip, which means there's an extra action required to activate it. Not sure how intuitive that would be. The current $50 S&W j-frame rebate doesn't include the bodyguard, so a 642 with CT grips would probably be within $50-$100.

At this point I think I have a good idea of what my options are and it's time to go handle/test them out. As has been suggested, I might find that I'm looking in the wrong direction entirely. Thanks to all of you who offered advice.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
What's standard protocol for dry firing a gun you're looking at in a store? Is it ok for some and not others (ok for centerfire but not rimfire?)? Is it best practice to ask the owner if he minds?

As Justin mentioned, always ask. For some it is a matter of courtesy but in my view the bigger issue is the (significant) level of ignorance in the gun community.

Most modern firearms are not harmed by dry-firing. This includes centerfires and some rimfires. In fact, some firearms must be dry-fired before they can be field stripped, so the manufacturers designed them to be dry-fired without material damage (e.g. the Glock 17). You can dry fire until you're blue in the face and you won't do anything to the gun.

However, the problem is that many sellers are ignorant of this fact and may allege that you have damaged their wares (which, at that point, they will claim was owned by Chesty Puller, John Wayne and Charlton Heston
plain.gif
). So it's good practice always to ask, even if what you are doing is well within the recommended procedures as published by the manufacturer.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Mernickle makes a cross draw field carry holster that should work for you. I use one for a 4 5/8 inch barreled Ruger Blackhawk under a coat and it works well. Personally if it's an open carry area that's exactly what I do. It just makes sense from a speed standpoint.

Thanks. I'll have to check them out. My state is an open carry state and I've never seen anyone open-carrying. Seeing as the current US record for bear (just under 900 pounds!!!) was bagged this past month here in Pennsylvania, I wonder why people don't bring bear guns into the woods.

Edit: it appears that the 879 pound bear is the biggest taken in the state and is contending for the world record based on skull size. Not sure if it is the US record or not.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
ZEDU.jpg

*orgasm face*
Knight's Armament SR15 E3... my weakness.
16"free float barrel, zombie lower with a magpul BAD

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
One thing I'm not sure about re: the bodyguard is that the laser isn't integrated into the grip, which means there's an extra action required to activate it. Not sure how intuitive that would be.

Dcg, I wasn't aware the laser lacked the ability to be accuated in a more intuitive manner, I figured it could be activated similar to a Crimson Trace. I would probably not deem it worth the extra consideration (if a laser was the deciding factor).

See what'savailable, there really are some great choices out there.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Dcg, I wasn't aware the laser lacked the ability to be accuated in a more intuitive manner, I figured it could be activated similar to a Crimson Trace. I would probably not deem it worth the extra consideration (if a laser was the deciding factor). See what'savailable, there really are some great choices out there.
Had a chance to look at one today, and REALLY didn't like the laser activation. There's a tiny button on top, and no tactile feedback when it's pressed. Worked about 50% of the time for me; I'm sure I'd get better with practice, but I don't see the point when CT puts the button right on the grip. I think the bodyguard is out of consideration, which is too bad because it seemed nice otherwise. Handled the Glock 26 as well, which just wasn't comfortable for me. Guy at the shop offered a Springfield XD which he thought might fit me better, and it was better than the Glock but nowhere near the comfort level of the j-frames, which feel just about perfect to me. Neither shop I went to had an LCR in stock. One shop had a well used 340PD for $525 (no laser), which seems like a good deal. Not sure if it's the best choice for me, but any concerns buying a used S&W? Seems like they have a pretty good warranty department and I wouldn't be buying it for the looks, anyway.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a fair price on the 340 (you may find it a little cheaper if you are will to wait for months). If you want a DA-only revolver, then maybe you should grab bit.

I liked my Kel-Tec P3AT, but I know other people have had issues with theirs (though everyone has been happy with factory repairs and customer service). If I were to get another pocket pistol it would be the Micro Desert Eagle.

This is a useful chart for exploring some of your options:

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

It is good for .380s but I think it's missing the Ruger SR9C and the Taurus slim. Beretta Storm SC is another good concealable 9mm - if you like plastic pistols.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads