• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninja07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
I agree with what people have said about the Indy boot being most appropriate with jeans. It does look rather utilitarian, and as such I find the commando sole the perfect match for it (i.e. any of the LS Ultimate Indy's). My cigar Indy's get the most wear almost strictly for the versatility of the commando sole; that and I wear jeans seven days a week.

would be great to see some pics of your commando sole cigar indys with jeans. I currently only own the standard 405 indys - I love them as I can wear them the entire weekdays to work with jeans as well but when the need for dressier occasions arises I find them difficult to wear. Looking to get a pair of shell boots (cigar or ravello) but still cannot decide on which one. The cigar indys could be a likely candidate but not sure if i should go for commando or double leather soles. thanks in advance.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by madstaxbro
Can anybody comment on the new cordovan tankers? Heard they were at Leather Soul for a bit and now they're in Context, but $625/pair, that's nearly my whole Black Friday budget.
Are they really worth it?

LS Cordovan tankers are worth every penny IME.

rolling green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madstaxbro
Can anybody comment on the new cordovan tankers? Heard they were at Leather Soul for a bit and now they're in Context, but $625/pair, that's nearly my whole Black Friday budget.
Are they really worth it?

Picked these up yesterday and they are awesome. Very versatile boot/color. Goes really well dressed up or down. #8 is so dark I thought it was black. In the light there is hint of brown/red that makes them unique. Haven't worn them out yet but can't wait. Worth every penny

Aries83

Reaction score
Those context tankers are lovely, as are the #4s Tom.

Here's an update on my beloved captoe #8s, after a brisk walk through town they could use a buff and/or polish.

photo2.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninja07
would be great to see some pics of your commando sole cigar indys with jeans. I currently only own the standard 405 indys - I love them as I can wear them the entire weekdays to work with jeans as well but when the need for dressier occasions arises I find them difficult to wear. Looking to get a pair of shell boots (cigar or ravello) but still cannot decide on which one. The cigar indys could be a likely candidate but not sure if i should go for commando or double leather soles. thanks in advance.

yeah i have the leffot cigar indys and will post pics in a bit. very versatile with jeans. i dont own any ravello (will soon hopefully) but i think cigar would be easier to wear on a regular basis.

On an unrelated note, I experimented with the durability of cordovan in the rain after getting caught in a downpour last week. I tried wiping off the drops by rubbing my foot against my pant leg (jeans, of course) as soon as I got under cover but despite my best efforts "welps" formed where they had gotten wet. I had some cotton balls handy in the office and rubbed vigorously while the leather was still slightly damp, successfully getting rid of most of the welps. When I got home, a wipe with a damp cloth followed up with the horsehair brush took care of the rest.

yeah i had those rain spots but didnt do anything other than wiping them down when i got home. the next day i checked and just time and regular drying out got any moisture caught in the cordovan.

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ennui
Any sales going on for Aldens anytime soon? Hopefully something for Black Friday/Christmas/after Christmas timeframe.

alden almost never go on sale, i have seen some stores do 10% off but again very very seldom. your best bet is to save the money and buy a pair you will not regret it. they are worth every penny imho. P.S check the sales forum alden do come up from time to time.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by velomane
Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated. One more question: how is the length of the 9D Aberdeen compared to the 9D Trubalance and Barrie? Would you say only marginally shorter? I ask because I am considering the 9D Aberdeen when I'm a 9C in Barrie.
My 9.5D tassel loafers (Aberdeen) are 1/8th of an inch shorter than my 9D Indys (Trubalance). I would go up half a size in Aberdeen.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every so often Sherman Brothers will have a code you can use on Alden. Usually 10%. I woundn't be surprised if one came up soon. They are GREAT to deal with. Got Indy's and PTBs from them and haven't paid retail yet. No tax (I'm in CA) and free shipping.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aries83
Those context tankers are lovely, as are the #4s Tom.

Here's an update on my beloved captoe #8s, after a brisk walk through town they could use a buff and/or polish.

photo2.jpg

The current patina on those boots are outstanding. I was originally on the fence about color #8 because I don't really want overly burgundy shoes. However, given how they age into that amazing brown color, I think I'm sold...

Are those Plaza or Barrie lasted?

PeterParker

Reaction score
Those Plaza captoes are perfect. Everything about that configuration (last, eyelets, welt, sole, leather) is in balance, and that patina is amazing. They've lightened considerably to a cigar hue which is just lovely. Care to share some information about the amount of wear and the maintenance on those, Aries83? I'm always awed whenever you post pictures of those boots.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much of what is said about Alden's Aberdeen last (narrow toebox, wide heel) could also be said about a number of English shoes. I need a narrow heel and a wide toebox, and there are not many English shoes or boots that are made for that shape. Alden footwear on the Barrie, the Van, and the Plaza last, on the other hand, can work well for me.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 8.5 D Barrie last Cigar shell chukkas I am going to be putting up for sale or trade. They have been worn about 10 times, they are in excellent shape. if you have anything in similar shape like a cigar/ravello full boot, or possibly PTB, lemme know if you are interested in trade.

Aries83

Reaction score
Those Plaza captoes are perfect. Everything about that configuration (last, eyelets, welt, sole, leather) is in balance, and that patina is amazing. They've lightened considerably to a cigar hue which is just lovely. Care to share some information about the amount of wear and the maintenance on those, Aries83? I'm always awed whenever you post pictures of those boots.
Cheers mate, I love them too. In terms of wear: I've worn them extremely regularly, I would average it out as about 3 times a week for 2 years. This is in rain or shine, and considering I live in England, it's more likely to be rain
wink.gif
. I always put shoetrees in after wearing, and I store them where I store all of my shoes, in front of my bedroom window. I hadn't thought about that at the time, but now I'm beginning to think the amount of sunlight that would hit them day-to-day has maybe had a significant effect. Maintenance: I wipe down with a wet cloth, then horsehair brush, then buff with a smooth cloth every time before wearing. I polish perhaps once every few months. I do the above, then apply a thin layer of kiwi cordovan polish, leave it for 20 minutes, wipe down with a wet cotton cloth until the residual polish is gone, then horsehair brush, buff. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads