• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell or not Shell? Thread

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
thanks all, they are not AE Macneils but are similar styled Florsheim Imperials. I'm pretty sure they made this in black calf and in black shell though.

To be absolutely correct, those are v-cleat, 5-nail, Royal Imperials and are definitely shell (though Royal Imperials also came in calf).

see, I think so too. they probably need an immediate resole and heel. but the upper looks to be in good shape, and I could probably give my cobbler $85 and these would look sweet.

of course, I don't know what the insole looks like. that could be scary. Dr. Scholls?

They will have a full leather lining so unless the previous owner really trashed them they could be easily saved. I wouldn't be surprised if the sole still has a lot of wear left since vintage Royal Imperial/Imperial double leather soles wear like iron, but those heel caps definitely need replacement.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insight
Vamp is clearly shell. Heel looks like calf. Any possibility of mixed leather types on one pair of shoes?
That silly.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bought the black longwings. they are certainly shell. and the shell is very soft - these shoes in general are...um...well broken in, but they are super comfortable. certainly more comfortable than my other pair of fairly new Florsheim Imperial shell longwings. (they are the same size).

I think more than anything they need a polish, which is dearly needed. I will take them to a cobbler to see what he thinks. there are no soft spots on the soles though

also, I can't believe people walk around in the v cleats. treacherous.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had this in the B&S thread, but thought I would give it a shot here : consensus there says no shell...
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I just won these Brooks loafers for $129... pretty sure they are shell.. calling the experts here, are they? Not a bad price, I thought..

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this pic looks like there is fine creasing, ie not shell

368859384_o.jpg

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
received the original black longwings. V cleat was in bad shape, and it annoyed me anyways, so I had it replaced with a Vibram heel. much better. shoes polished. sole was in good shape, no work was needed on it. spent about $30 at the cobbler

thoughts?

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^They turned out well. Looks good.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
new submission. Ive gotten pretty good at this, but with NOS it's hard to tell.

vintage Hanover. shell or not shell?

hanovr.png

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
new submission. Ive gotten pretty good at this, but with NOS it's hard to tell.

vintage Hanover. shell or not shell?

hanovr.png

I vote shell.

con detail

Reaction score
I found these old Bostonian Crown Windsor loafers at Goodwill the other day thinking they are shell but I am not 100% sure.

Other Shell bostonians I have seen have on ebay or google image search have "shell cordovan" stamped in the sole and are burgundy. These do not say shell cordovan on them (perhaps they have been resoled but i don't think so) and are black.

So shell or not? Thanks

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone else did too, they sold about 10 minutes after I posted!

Bc they are really nice!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by con detail
I found these old Bostonian Crown Windsor loafers at Goodwill the other day thinking they are shell but I am not 100% sure.

Other Shell bostonians I have seen have on ebay or google image search have "shell cordovan" stamped in the sole and are burgundy. These do not say shell cordovan on them (perhaps they have been resoled but i don't think so) and are black.

So shell or not? Thanks

Those are actually monkey testicle. Rhesus, by the looks of it.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by con detail

So shell or not? Thanks

Without question...shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads