• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
JustinW, I think I saw that you carry a 340 PD. I assume you're happy with it? Are the CT grips a must have on a gun like these? Any issues as a lefty?

I carried the 340 daily for a couple of years. It is very light, beautifully made and reliable as can be. No probs as a lefty. On the down-side, recoil is a ***** in that light-weight package (forget .357 magnums and load with .38+P Speer short barrel Gold Dots). Like all double action only snubbie revolvers, accuracy isn't great. The CTC laser grips help a lot with recoil and also accuracy.

I ended-up selling mine and now carry a BDA .380. If you really want a snubbie (and there are many advantages to them), the 642 is pretty good - and the extra weight might even be a plus for shooting. I think the 340's best role probably best as a back-up handgun.

Originally Posted by milosz
For that kind of money and work, an Arsenal Saiga looks like a pretty good deal.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=354 - $800 for a SGL-31

Yeah, you're right - that is a great deal. Having just converted an IZ-109, I'm feeling pretty confident with the process and now have the correct tools at home. Anyway, for now I am still focused on finishing the 109. I'm waiting to get the shortened barrel back from the gunsmith and then it will be time for refinishing and bolt polishing.

Then off to the range!!

Icarus

Reaction score
Whos the guy on askandy that goes antique shopping with a tommy gun?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz

Snub-nose .38s are hard to shoot. Recoil is hot (even for a relatively easy-shooting round) and the trigger on those is going to be hard to master for a beginner, doubly so if you have big hands.
Of the three, I prefer the Ruger LCR. Ergonomics are roughly equal, but the trigger is lighter and smoother in my experience. After the LCR, I'd probably look at one of S&W's snubs with an external hammer. Given my experience with a 642, I would feel more comfortable having the option of a cocked shot.

If you want a combo first-gun/CCW, I'd take a long look at the Glock 26. 9mm ammo is cheap and plentiful, it's big enough to shoot a lot on the range but pretty concealable all in all (if you're not looking for pocket carry).

Originally Posted by JustinW
I carried the 340 daily for a couple of years. It is very light, beautifully made and reliable as can be. No probs as a lefty. On the down-side, recoil is a ***** in that light-weight package (forget .357 magnums and load with .38+P Speer short barrel Gold Dots). Like all double action only snubbie revolvers, accuracy isn't great. The CTC laser grips help a lot with recoil and also accuracy.

I ended-up selling mine and now carry a BDA .380. If you really want a snubbie (and there are many advantages to them), the 642 is pretty good - and the extra weight might even be a plus for shooting. I think the 340's best role probably best as a back-up handgun.

Thanks for the responses.

milosz, I actually have smallish hands, and have tended to prefer the feel of revolvers, but I'll take a look at the Glock 26 as well.

Justin, my thought was the that PD wasn't worth the added cost (for me). I'm beginning to think the M&P probably isn't either. I suspect I'd never want to load .357, so all I'm really gaining is a better finish and a slightly lighter gun (and maybe, if some reviews are to be believed, a slightly better trigger).

Which brings me to the Ruger - as milosz confirmed, I've heard great things about the trigger on the LCR. So I'm down to the more proven 642 vs. what is probably a better trigger in the LCR.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Thanks for the responses. milosz, I actually have smallish hands, and have tended to prefer the feel of revolvers, but I'll take a look at the Glock 26 as well. Which brings me to the Ruger - as milosz confirmed, I've heard great things about the trigger on the LCR. So I'm down to the more proven 642 vs. what is probably a better trigger in the LCR.
The Glock is a nice subcompact, but in terms of CCW, it just doesn't mold to your body the way a snub will. Many times, I forget the fact that I'm carrying the J-frame, it's literally that great for concealing IWB. When I'm afforded the luxury of wearing sweaters and outerwear (Houston's irrational weather), I conceal a Kimber Ultra Carry Crimson (I need a better holster for the latter). Have you had the opportunity to check out the S&W .38 Body Guard. It's only slightly more than the LCR, but includes a laser. Attachment 54307 My Winter/outerwear carry Attachment 54308 My Summer/convenient carry

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^

That Kimber looks nice! What sort of holster do you carry it in?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a chance to shoot a Smith 500. All I can say is WOW!!! It's one helluva a mule but being on the other side would be much worse. The thing left friggin caves in the berm, not craters, not nice deep tunnels but caves!!

So after a bunch of homework and looking over loads I think my out hiking in the woods where bear live gun is solved. I'm going to go with a Smith 329PD 44 Mag loaded with Garrett 310 grain Hammerheads. My first requirement for this gun was weight. It had to be light carrying. At about 23 ounces it's light. Second concern was readily available ammo and hopefully one that could take two or more cartridges. That narrowed down the calibers to basically 45 LC 454 Casull or 44 Special 44 Mag. Both combos are good. You have a light recoiling practice round and the big stuff for hunting or anti eat you for dinner animal rounds. All said and done the good old 44 Mag won out.

The specs of the Garrett ammo is impressive. The light load made specifically for the light guns has a hair over 700 ft.lbs. of energy out of a four inch barrel. The heavy load generates almost 1K ft.lbs. out of a 4 inch gun. Either load has more than enough penetration to take out a bear reliably.

Of course the downside is it's going to have a very heavy and sharp recoil impulse but oh well that's part of the game.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
^

That Kimber looks nice! What sort of holster do you carry it in?

Just a low cost generic leather for now. However, I'm strongly considering a high quality leather IWB holster, or a Crossbreed (which looks somewhat uncomfortable, but people consistently comment about how great they are/feel).

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
The Glock is a nice subcompact, but in terms of CCW, it just doesn't mold to your body the way a snub will. Many times, I forget the fact that I'm carrying the J-frame, it's literally that great for concealing IWB. When I'm afforded the luxury of wearing sweaters and outerwear (Houston's irrational weather), I conceal a Kimber Ultra Carry Crimson (I need a better holster for the latter). Have you had the opportunity to check out the S&W .38 Body Guard. It's only slightly more than the LCR, but includes a laser. Attachment 54307 My Winter/outerwear carry Attachment 54308 My Summer/convenient carry
Yeah, just started looking at the Body Guard last night. I'll add that to the list. Looks like it can be had for $500, making it the cheapest option of all if I want the laser (which I am strongly leaning toward.) Anyone feel that the laser isn't worth the cost? Thanks for those pics. Kimber looks awfully nice!

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Thoughts on a S&W 642/442 vs. S&W 340 M&P vs. Ruger LCR as a first gun w/ the potential for future CCW?

I'm going to agree with milocz and say that none of the above are good first guns for anyone.

Those are great guns (I've owned a few variants of the S&W j-frame) but the short sight radius, stubby grips and potential for high recoil (especially with hot loads) can be disconcerting to a new shooter. A S&W snubby can be unpleasant enough for a first-timer such that they give up on shooting altogether -- not to mention leave a bad taste in that person's mouth when they realize they spent $500 on a gun that they hate to shoot!

My recommendation for a person looking for their first gun is to find (1) a range that rents guns; or (2) a friend who has a good selection of guns. Think of it like buying a car; you would like to test-drive that car before you plunk down your cash.

Think of it also like buying clothes. You don't want to buy shoes that don't fit your feet; similarly, your gun should also fit YOU. For handguns it is mostly around hand size but for long guns you will need to get measured for proper length of pull and other measurements. If you rent/try before you buy, you can figure out what guns fit your particular person.

IMO the best first gun is a .22LR of some sort. You will always have a use for a .22LR firearm, whether it be plinking or small game hunting. Check out/rent a Ruger Mark III handgun or their 10/22 rifle. You'll never outgrow either, even if you leave them bone stock. And if you decide to start modifying/replacing parts on either gun, you will probably end up like me and spend more in mods than the base gun itself!
facepalm.gif
laugh.gif

Once you learn the basics with a .22 then you can move your way up to whatever you want.

Edit: just saw that you are also in Philly. Try Classic Pistol in Southampton, they have a good rental selection at their indoor range. I cannot recall if they rent the Ruger .22s I mentioned above as it has been a number of months since I visited their store. Their gunsmith, John Robinson, is top notch. I've sent some gunsmithing work his way and will be using him again. They're also along the way to Surplus City in Feasterville, which carries screaming deals on police trade-in guns.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
So after a bunch of homework and looking over loads I think my out hiking in the woods where bear live gun is solved. I'm going to go with a Smith 329PD 44 Mag loaded with Garrett 310 grain Hammerheads.

I've always wanted to get a pre-lock S&W 629 Classic with a 4" barrel for bear country but I've not found a good (concealed) carry solution. In all my travels through bear country I've not seen one person open-carrying, even though it is legal in many states. Someone needs to make a quick-access panel on hiking backpacks for bear guns ....

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I'm going to agree with milocz and say that none of the above are good first guns for anyone.

Edit: just saw that you are also in Philly. Try Classic Pistol in Southampton, they have a good rental selection at their indoor range. I cannot recall if they rent the Ruger .22s I mentioned above as it has been a number of months since I visited their store. Their gunsmith, John Robinson, is top notch. I've sent some gunsmithing work his way and will be using him again. They're also along the way to Surplus City in Feasterville, which carries screaming deals on police trade-in guns.

Thanks, good to know. I will definitely be looking to try before I buy, and have looked into .22s in the past...will almost definitely end up with one of those as well, probably some form of Ruger (too bad the S&W 617 is so much money...)

Any Philly area SFers up for a trip to the Valley Forge gun show next month? (Dec. 17-19)?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
After all the votes have been counted, the new Sacramento County Sheriff is the "shall issue" candidate, so I am thinking about applying for a concealed carry permit.

Considering that I haven't shot anything since bolt action rifles at Boy Scout camp many moons ago, what are some suggestions on where would be the best place to find a gun safety/usage class?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg

Any Philly area SFers up for a trip to the Valley Forge gun show next month? (Dec. 17-19)?

Man, I'd skip that show unless you really want to go and can't wait until next year. The show before Xmas is always jam packed. Unless you like being treated like cattle at the slaughterhouse, I'd wait until March's show.

Back in the day VF used to be tolerable because they had two full floors in the VFCC. You could browse with ease even with large numbers in attendance because they had plenty of space and the aisles were quite wide. Those days are long gone.
ffffuuuu.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
After all the votes have been counted, the new Sacramento County Sheriff is the "shall issue" candidate, so I am thinking about applying for a concealed carry permit.

Considering that I haven't shot anything since bolt action rifles at Boy Scout camp many moons ago, what are some suggestions on where would be the best place to find a gun safety/usage class?

You could do a lot worse than starting here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
So after a bunch of homework and looking over loads I think my out hiking in the woods where bear live gun is solved. I'm going to go with a Smith 329PD 44 Mag loaded with Garrett 310 grain Hammerheads.

I think that weighs about the same as my 329 Night Guard (w/ 2" barrel) - a very nice shooter for .44 Special. I imagine a hot magnum load would be brutal, but hopefully wouldn't be necessary too often.

I need to find some .44 Special that isn't geared toward cowboy shooters - too damn much smoke for indoor ranges.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads