• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this Coach Bag

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in the market to upgrade my current everyday work bag. I really think I like this Coach bag, but I'm looking get some advice from the SF experts. What do you think about this bag:
TRANSATLANTIC-LARGE-COMMUTER.jpg

It's called the Coach Transatlantic Large Commuter. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags...&tier=2&LOC=LN

Any comments are appreciated.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norymeoreason41
Hey everyone, I'm in the market to upgrade my current everyday work bag. I really think I like this Coach bag, but I'm looking get some advice from the SF experts. What do you think about this bag:
TRANSATLANTIC-LARGE-COMMUTER.jpg

It's called the Coach Transatlantic Large Commuter. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags...&tier=2&LOC=LN

Any comments are appreciated.

Not bad, certaintely not the best option, but if you ditch the strap it is ok. I would perfer a Tusting, or an SAB though.

viator

Reaction score
I have the version of this bag from about 2 years ago - it has changed slightly. I like it because it effectively straddles the line between a real briefcase and a more casual everyday bag. So if I'm wearing a suit and going to court, I carry it by the handles and it works very well. But on other days I use the shoulder strap and wear it crosswise like a messenger bag.

I also like the configuration. I find the pocket layout very handy for a book, papers, blackberry, iphone, sunglasses, earphones, pens, etc.

However, the leather is not the best quality. Not awful, but not great. I like the way the bag is aging in general but it has appeared to lose a bit of color where the bag rubs against my body (belt = offender?) and at the bottom corners. I guess given the looks that I really like, the layout, and the quality, I would say that it it just barely worth the $500, but I am sure others who are more knowledgeable will have other ideas.

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
I have the version of this bag from about 2 years ago - it has changed slightly. I like it because it effectively straddles the line between a real briefcase and a more casual everyday bag. So if I'm wearing a suit and going to court, I carry it by the handles and it works very well. But on other days I use the shoulder strap and wear it crosswise like a messenger bag.

I also like the configuration. I find the pocket layout very handy for a book, papers, blackberry, iphone, sunglasses, earphones, pens, etc.

However, the leather is not the best quality. Not awful, but not great. I like the way the bag is aging in general but it has appeared to lose a bit of color where the bag rubs against my body (belt = offender?) and at the bottom corners. I guess given the looks that I really like, the layout, and the quality, I would say that it it just barely worth the $500, but I am sure others who are more knowledgeable will have other ideas.

Oh, your comment about the leather worries me. $500 is about the max I would want to spend, but I want the best "bang for the buck."

Any other suggestions for something similar?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, your comment about the leather worries me. $500 is about the max I would want to spend, but I want the best "bang for the buck."

Any other suggestions for something similar?

I would look into Tusting.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's OK.

I have the much older, made in the USA version of that exact same-look bag from Coach.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm browsing online. Nice looking stuff. Any preferred vendor in the US?

I bought straight from them. They can send you swatches and such too.

soxpats

Reaction score
I like my Hartmann, the Coach is nice as well.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my close friends bought one and I consider it a pretty solid bag for the price. Honestly you can't compare it to $2500 bags seen around this forum.

viator

Reaction score
Here's a (terrible iphone) photo of one of the top corners. I should note that the photo exaggerates the issue. It's really not as noticeable in real life

I misspoke earlier. I've had this bag for about a year as I returned two earlier ones for replacement that exhibited this same problem. Maybe I am being too harsh, but for $500 I wouldn't expect this to happen. The bag gets lexol or other conditioner every few months.

Other than that, though, I am happy with it.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $500, how about the M&W traveler? Leather from Horween; should age beautifully.

Sazerac

Reaction score
When did Coach move their production abroad, and did that correspond with an overnight decrease in quality?

I have a coach dowel brief from about seventeen or eighteen years ago. I don't use it much anymore, but both the leather and the workmanship have held up to almost two decades of horrible abuse.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad looking, but I think you could do better.

-LR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads