• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sqweegle

Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering one or possibly two Hackett jackets fromyoox.com, and I would like to know a thing or two about what it is I'm buying. Searching SF I've found both positive and negative opinions of Hackett products, therefore I would appreciate it if those of you with personal experience could share.

First of all, the construction. Fused? Half-/full canvas? Someone suggested in another thread that their suits are fused. If so, what about the odd jackets? Is there a possibility that they are not fused?

Also, How is the fit? Judging from the campaign photos it seems pretty good, with relatively high armholes. However, I'm not sure those photos can be trusted. I'm also uncertain of the build quality, so to speak.

I would very much appreciate any input.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha – there is a behind-the-scenes video showing the making of those ads, and there is judicious use of bulldog clips to pin jackets back in the waist and shoulders...

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
Haha - there is a behind-the-scenes video showing the making of those ads, and there is judicious use of bulldog clips to pin jackets back in the waist and shoulders...

They uses clips to pull in the waists even at the stores in London -- and some they must alter. I've got a faily broad chest and skinnier waist and there is not nearly the amount of waist suppresion in the things I've tried on compared w/how they look in store/picture

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sqweegle
I'm thinking about ordering one or possibly two Hackett jackets fromyoox.com, and I would like to know a thing or two about what it is I'm buying. Searching SF I've found both positive and negative opinions of Hackett products, therefore I would appreciate it if those of you with personal experience could share.

First of all, the construction. Fused? Half-/full canvas? Someone suggested in another thread that their suits are fused. If so, what about the odd jackets? Is there a possibility that they are not fused?

Also, How is the fit? Judging from the campaign photos it seems pretty good, with relatively high armholes. However, I'm not sure those photos can be trusted. I'm also uncertain of the build quality, so to speak.

I would very much appreciate any input.

To reply to the OP, the quality is just ok -- nothing special unless you are getting deep discounts. They have a range of suits which uses Loro Piana super 120s fabric which looks pretty nice, but there isn't much tailoring going on (i think original price is around 700£).

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokentelephone
To reply to the OP, the quality is just ok -- nothing special unless you are getting deep discounts. They have a range of suits which uses Loro Piana super 120s fabric which looks pretty nice, but there isn't much tailoring going on (i think original price is around 700£).

oh wow, oh wow.......LORO PIANA!

That's like GOLD or some super fine fabric reserved for the royalty..
sarcasm.gif

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

sarcasm.gif

And when you combine LP fabrics with full-canvas construction, horn buttons, and Oxxford-level handwork, it's almost good enough for Styleforum (referring to LP is no worse a cliche than any of these SF boilerplates).

sqweegle

Reaction score
Meh compared to what, if I may ask? I forgot that SF is populated mostly by bespoke fetischists, so to clarify, I never expect a jacket to fit me perfectly without alterations, mostly due to my somewhat unusual build.

Dose anyone know whether or not the jackets are fused?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compared to basic standards of quality. I don't wear bespoke anything. I've already written about Hackett here:
Sportcoat quality is not very good. Stiff fabrics, boxy cuts, pre-cut working buttonholes. I doubt they're canvassed.
I dunno, I can't get excited about Hackett, try as I might. I visit their outlet twice a year and the sportcoats are almost-but-not-quite tempting, even at around 300 € a piece. I often find the construction inelegant to the point where it hangs awkwardly off my frame like a paper bag; the shoulders in particular are quite built up. Even the coats using Loro Piana fabric seemed stiff to me and didn't drape well in front of the mirror. I suspect cheap materials and/or workmanship. What really gets me is the patterns; they are nearly -- but just short of being -- really attractive in terms of colour and pattern choices, but something inevitably makes them slightly garish or cheap-looking, like a Zara product. I'm not trying to start an argument btw, I am just very picky about what I buy. I agree that some of the looks posted above are quite nice, which makes it frustrating for me whenever I visit the store. For comparison's sake, Facconable (which occupies a slightly higher price bracket than Hackett but is aiming for basically the same market) tends to offer nicer pieces on the whole, even if it lacks the tweedy English charm of the latter.
On the other hand, my fellow Parisian HDD loves them: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...hlight=hackett

brokentelephone

Reaction score

sarcasm.gif

Was that supposed to be funny? Or condeceding? I couldn't tell.

Gorecki

Reaction score

sarcasm.gif

And when you combine LP fabrics with full-canvas construction, horn buttons, and Oxxford-level handwork, it's almost good enough for Styleforum (referring to LP is no worse a cliche than any of these SF boilerplates).

only when the pieces are sewn together with strings woven out of Bavarian goat's moustache!!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads