• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quasi-ruined Lobb's -- suggestions on how to fix!

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Hey --

A friend of mine has a pair of Lobb loafers which he wore quite hard, and then subsequently 'ruined' on a trip -- I haven't seen them but it sounds like there were worn in rain, mud, etc., and look pretty crappy now.

He wants to fix them, and I thought I'd come to the SF for suggestions.

I've read all about polishing here, etc., and thought the best plan of action would be to clean them w/a leather cleaner, and then apply many layers of a conditioner (Saphir, Crema Alpina, Lexol ? Which is best for this purpose), and then once they're feeling softer start w/a few layers of polishing cream, and end w/wax.

I don't think he stores them w/trees as they're just sort of bumming around shoes but obviously he'd like to see them in good condition once again.

Any extreme or non-extreme suggestions welcome!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokentelephone
Hey --

A friend of mine has a pair of Lobb loafers which he wore quite hard, and then subsequently 'ruined' on a trip -- I haven't seen them but it sounds like there were worn in rain, mud, etc., and look pretty crappy now.

He wants to fix them, and I thought I'd come to the SF for suggestions.

I've read all about polishing here, etc., and thought the best plan of action would be to clean them w/a leather cleaner, and then apply many layers of a conditioner (Saphir, Crema Alpina, Lexol ? Which is best for this purpose), and then once they're feeling softer start w/a few layers of polishing cream, and end w/wax.

I don't think he stores them w/trees as they're just sort of bumming around shoes but obviously he'd like to see them in good condition once again.

Any extreme or non-extreme suggestions welcome!

This thread is useless without pictures, but I doubt after getting them wet and muddy they are "ruined". They most likely just need to be cleaned, conditioned and a new finish applied. He can always send a message to RIDER on this forum who can fix just about anything, or just wipe the mud off with damp cloth, Saphir Renovateur like nuts and then apply some layers of wax and buff like nuts.

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This thread is useless without pictures, but I doubt after getting them wet and muddy they are "ruined". They most likely just need to be cleaned, conditioned and a new finish applied. He can always send a message to RIDER on this forum who can fix just about anything, or just wipe the mud off with damp cloth, Saphir Renovateur like nuts and then apply some layers of wax and buff like nuts.

I'll try to get some pics. They have just been worn rather hard in the past and are looking worse for wear!

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

koolhistorian

Reaction score
1. Give them a good wash with saddle-soap.
2. Let them dry, brush;
3. Put them on shoes trees;
4. Apply conditioner - Saphir renovateur Crema Alpina - I've tested. Let the shoes drink the conditioner, apply another time if necessary. Brush;
5. Apply shoe cream (from pot) color to match. Saphir Medaille d'Or is the best, Creme Surfine also good. Let dry for 1 day. Brush.
6. Apply Crema Alpina. Let dry. Brush;
7. Apply wax (tin) same as for cream, let dry (1hr) Brush, Buff with a pantyhose!
Normally it will restore a muddy shoe and the whole regimen will teach the owner not to neglect his shoes another time. A small brush and a pair of travel shoe trees would have prevented the work after.
Alternative way, give them to a competent cobbler, pay alot of money, same result!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads