• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 100 yrs
I grabbed a Pullman a few months ago when Cablecar was having a sale. I recently used it on a 5 day trip that included air travel. The pic a page back of a worn in Pullman prompted me to post this mini review.

I was able to fit in clothes for 5 days, toiletries, 2 pairs of shoes, a suit, a sport coat, and a couple of sundry items. The interior straps worked pretty well at keeping the clothes in place when all zipped up. And you can stick things down in the middle for easy access when only unzipping the top, which worked surprisingly well.

After packing, I was pretty concerned that they wouldn't let me carry it on as it's a little over the dimensions delta has on their website, and it looks huge all packed up (I think the height is an inch off - I even sent @puthison a message via the twitter to ask about it, as I got the suggestion for the bag from that site, he confirmed that he's never had a problem carrying on either). So, it fit snugly into the little carry-on bag checkers they have at the airport, and more importantly, fit easily into the overhead bin on the plane.

The only drawback I found is the weight. All packed up it was pretty heavy to lug around the airport. The strap was just long enough that while the bag was hanging from my shoulder it would hit me in the back of the legs as I walked, making it slightly awkward to carry by strap (I'm 5'-10" for reference). The solution is just to carry it from the handles, but the weight could be an issue for longer walks.

That said, however, I don't have any regrets on the bag, and look forward to travelling with it for a long time. It was the perfect size for me for that length trip, you can carry it on, it is superbly constructed (of course), and looks awesome (of course). I only wish I could justify another Filson right now.

Thanks for the review; haven't had the opportunity to use mine yet.

Having looked it over, my one wish would have been for a flap behind the zipper to protect the content from those teeth (especially since the zipper goes around 3/4 of the bag).

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does the X'd out tag mean? Were these sold as factory seconds?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b

Probably.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Probably.

Thanks for the clarification.

FYI, I contacted Filson Customer Svc with two questions:

First, can I order the handgrip and have it installed locally by a leather shop. Second, will Filson repair a bag with an X'd out tag for a fee (at my expense)?

They responded as follows:

Good Morning Mr. Byrne,

Thank you for your e-mail. The handgrip can be purchased directly from our Customer Service Dept. The charge for the handgrip is $10.00.

Unfortunately, an item that has a black X through the tag is an item that is no longer covered by the warranty. Filson will not perform repairs on the item even with a fee.

I do apologize we cannot fulfill your request for repair at this time.

If you have any further questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a great weekend Mr. Byrne!

Warm Regards,

XXXX
Filson Customer Service
1-800-624-0201

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
Originally Posted by Crane's
Probably.
Does Filson have an outlet where they sell factory 2nds? or... Do dealers ever get factory 2nd merchandise? I've noticed that many of the well used pieces listed at ebay have X'd out tags.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you have the small wool duffle? Pictures?

Big enough for a long weekend trip? Cheers.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am the aforementioned @putthison - I've gone on dozens of trips with my Pullman and never had anyone question its size (other than on tiny planes where they're checking all non-hand luggage at the gate). And yeah, it is pretty heavy when it's all the way full. The shoulder strap is adjustable and I've never had trouble getting it high enough on my back/rear. I've fit about a week's worth of clothes in there pretty comfortably.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eightdouble
i wanna say that i got that bag in 2005.

i work as an airline pilot though so i travel with it constantly and i am sure that has helped it's patina develop.

I'm surprised the tsa doesn't strip search you after spotting that weaponized pin you've got attached to it.

mas_cerveza

Reaction score
I was thinking of sending my 256 in to get the handgrip installed. Do you guys think it's worth it?

raybert

Reaction score
Definitely worth it even if you are intending to use the shoulder strap. When I purchased my 256 I got the handgrip installed. I can imagine it would be quite awkward and harder on the fingers without them if carrying a full bag/load. (e.g. books, laptop etc).

Originally Posted by más_cerveza
I was thinking of sending my 256 in to get the handgrip installed. Do you guys think it's worth it?

mas_cerveza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raybert
Definitely worth it even if you are intending to use the shoulder strap. When I purchased my 256 I got the handgrip installed. I can imagine it would be quite awkward and harder on the fingers without them if carrying a full bag/load. (e.g. books, laptop etc).

Thanks, I'll probably be sending it off to Seattle in the next couple of days. I'll try to take pictures when they send it back to help others with their decision, or just for Filson pr0n.

GBer

Reaction score
Do you actually take these bags to work? Seems too casual for my office. Maybe the field satchel might work, but I might get asked if I'm planning to go fishing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads