• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
So drinking cheap barely finished wine is your idea of fun. You can do that any time of year. Just buy some cheap wine and invite your friends over
lol8[1].gif

Barely finished? Can you say, "Carbonic maceration"?
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
The people who I know (including me) that purchase BN are not looking for "a touch of that Burgundian funk and finesse". They're looking for that one day a year fun wine, and they're going to drink a ton of it solely for the purpose of getting tipsy and having a party with friends. Lets distinguish between a "seriously food-enhancing wine" and something to gulp for fun because it is fun. I certainly don't take the wine seriously, but it is a great time when surrounded by good people.

Exactly. What a bunch of snobs we seem to have attracted. Sheesh.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Petrus, again, I want to thank you for sharing your wisdom with me. I really feel like I am benefiting from what you are telling me.

Would the adding of high proof brandy be along the same lines of what I said when I mentioned ports were "fortified"? Or have I been led astray on this thought? I mean, all these numbers and such.
confused.gif

yes
Port, sherry(except for some finos),madeira are all fortified.Sauternes, Tokay, late picked German etc are just naturally sweet and unfortified.
Of course the Port is naturally sweet too but it comes from the fact that the fermentation is stopped when the high proof brandy is added so that the yeasts don't eat up all the sugars.
It's too complicated to explain how each wine is made here so you'll just have to get a book or something if you're interested.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
It's too complicated to explain how each wine is made here so you'll just have to get a book or something if you're interested.
crackup[1].gif
Douche on ignore. No, wait. Wut? Too funny to ignore.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Exactly. What a bunch of snobs we seem to have attracted. Sheesh.

The "snobs" are the newbies who read the pop wine magazine Wine Spectator and hang on RP's every word.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pio, you're really letting your thread go downhill... can't you get this place under control?

Serious question for Petrus1 - does this seem like the sort of place where you feel welcome? A self-aware person should be able to size up his or her surroundings. Just sayin...

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
wine gods:

I want to pick up two bottles of french red wine for thanksgiving. I am looking to spend around $25-30 for the pair. I will be shopping at yankee spirits in MA.

i know that is kind of vague but do you guys have any suggestions?
ideally one bordeux and one cotes du rhone.

is my best bet just to grab two random bottles from each section in my price range? is there anything blatant to look for that I should avoid?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestoG.
wine gods: I want to pick up two bottles of french red wine for thanksgiving. I am looking to spend around $25-30 for the pair. I will be shopping at yankee spirits in MA. i know that is kind of vague but do you guys have any suggestions? ideally one bordeux and one cotes du rhone. is my best bet just to grab two random bottles from each section in my price range? is there anything blatant to look for that I should avoid?
$25-30 "for the pair" or $25-30 per bottle? If per bottle, you can probably come up with something. "For the pair", good luck. Bordeaux has gone out of sight and even a cheap one is likely to be that much or more. I recommended a Chateau Pipeau earlier at about $23 per. Bordeaux is pretty hit or miss in this price range though, IMO. My favorite CdR right now is the Coudoulet du Beaucastel which is pretty widely available at around $30 and is really good IMO. Again, each of these is in the $25-30 PER BOTTLE range. You might actually be better off picking a wine from a different region (say Bandol or a Cru Beaujolais for example) if your price range is a total of $25-30. Still high quality wines, but at much better values than Bordeaux or Rhone. Then again maybe one of the others has a better suggestion.

Petrus1

Reaction score
A wine that sells for $40 and above is a TOP wine and in limited supply. I think you all have to stop concentrating on a handful of super expensive wines where demand has driven the price up to insane levels.
A Ch. Margaux 2007 sells for $500 a bottle but there are other top classifed growths from Margaux which are equally as good and will age just as well that sell for $40 a bottle. You can buy a case for the same price as 1 Ch Margaux.
And you'd have to be the chateau owner who knows his wine well to even be able to tell the slight difference. There's no difference in quality and perhaps only slight differences in nuance.

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
i meant $25-30 total. so around 10-15$ for each bottle. college tuition is not friendly on the wine budget haha

I will see what they have for the bandol and cru beaujolias.

Is that different than the beaujolias noveau which was just released? (sorry total wine noob here)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Pio, you're really letting your thread go downhill... can't you get this place under control?

Serious question for Petrus1 - does this seem like the sort of place where you feel welcome? A self-aware person should be able to size up his or her surroundings. Just sayin...

+1. Petrus, this thread is one of the very very very few threads on StyleForvm where we all get along for the most part. We have different tastes but we talk about things, debate them, chalk it up to personal tastes, etc, without being douchesacks. You don't need to prove to us how smart you are in wine. I can assure you that none of us give a flying ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads