• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Rangoe

Reaction score
Hi,

This week, I received a J Crew peacoat, which fits very well...snug without being too tight. The sleeves are a bit long, but that can be fixed. See pic below.
peacoat03.jpg
[/IMG]

However, I just saw a peacoat at the Club Monaco website, which looks more stylish & modern than J. Crew (and Club Monaco is usually better quality anyway) . So I'm thinking of returning the J. Crew and chasing the CM one....has anyone seen this one? Recommendations?

peacoatmonaco.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the input - cheers!

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-64-Viet-Nam-...item1c17361e05

why does this peacoat have 18" shoulders for a 34r?
I found another one with similar measurements.
And then I see this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-US-NAVY-...item56410e7d35
17???????? wtf

It may be due to where the shoulder measurement is taken.

I initially thought the measurements on each of these coats across the chest would make them fit more like a 36 than a 34, and then I measured two size 34 coats I have. One is a current issue from the 80s and one is a vintage from the 60s. Both had chest measurements of 19", which is consistent with both of the linked coats. So, it appears that as the coats get smaller, the standard deduction of 2 must be increased to 4 to give the actual chest size. Not sure that I understand it, but it seems to be consistent. All of my research has been done with the more "normal" sizes of 40 through 44. With those coats, the standard deduction of 2 is dead on.

raido

Reaction score
I would like some sizing tips on sterlingwear authentic peacoat. I'm 5'5", 33" chest 125lbs. Most the major brands are too long and sleeves too long. I saw size down so would 32S work or still be too big?

Thanks

dunelly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
It may be due to where the shoulder measurement is taken.

I initially thought the measurements on each of these coats across the chest would make them fit more like a 36 than a 34, and then I measured two size 34 coats I have. One is a current issue from the 80s and one is a vintage from the 60s. Both had chest measurements of 19", which is consistent with both of the linked coats. So, it appears that as the coats get smaller, the standard deduction of 2 must be increased to 3 to give the actual chest size. Not sure that I understand it, but it seems to be consistent. All of my research has been done with the more "normal" sizes of 40 through 44. With those coats, the standard deduction of 2 is dead on.

so uhh i'm about 5'8" 120lbs 34 chest 28 wait
can I get that vietnam pea coat or not?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are being very rude and demanding to someone who is helping you for no personal gain.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
You are being very rude and demanding to someone who is helping you for no personal gain.

Thanks.

I like for prospective buyers to read my research and the information I have given and then form their own conclusions and make their own informed decisions as to whether to purchase a particular peacoat.

From what I have posted, it appears that a size 34 peacoat will have a chest measurement from armpit to armpit of 19". This would appear to be size 36 peacoat; however, based on the additional measurements of my size 34 peacoats, comparing those measurements to the stated measurements in the links, and noting the stated 34 size of all of those peacoats, it appears that a measurement of 19" across the chest would, indeed, be a size 34 peacoat. If your chest measures 34", then both coats should fit you across the chest.

bk193

Reaction score
new poster here - interested in buying the j.crew peacoat, but having a tough time with fit, and looking for some advice -

fyi, i'm short and a little stocky - 5'5", 150 lbs (trying to lose 10 lbs!) - and thus often have issues with off the rack fit.

so i tried on the small and it was definitely the right size. with the bottom button undone, it fit right (i'd probably need the sleeves shortened a bit, but no big deal, they do that at the store). but when i buttoned the bottom button, the coat sort of pulled across my hips/lovehandles in what seemed to me to be an unflattering way. it was pretty minor but i'm very sensitive about unflattering fits (though maybe i'm paranoid?).

the salesman didn't seem to think it was a big deal - at first he didn't even notice it - and he said if anything, i could get it let out by a tailor. but i'm skeptical. i know a tailor can take a peacoat in, but can they let it out?

what do you guys think? should i buy it, since it fits fine when the bottom button is undone? should i look into a sterlingwear instead? they seem to be a bit less slim-fitting.

here are some pics - sorry they're SO crappy - at the time, i didn't think i was taking them for SF.

the first one is with the bottom button undone, and the second one is with it buttoned. i know it's tough to tell, but you can kind of see in the second one how it's not a straight line down the side of my body, because it's too snug around my lovehandle area.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
You might try a long size. They are normally about 2" longer in the body and about 1" longer in the sleeves.

Hi Peacoat. First, thanks for all your very interesting research; I've read your post on Fedora and have scanned a bunch of your posts over here, but don't see a direct answer to my question, so I'll ask away. Apologies if it's redundant -- if so, please feel free to just link me to an answer.

Anyways, I recently tried on a new Sterlingwear 38R, which fit me just about perfectly (perhaps SLIGHTLY too snug in the body with a sweater on). I saw that you wrote on Fedora that "the earlier the smaller" is a good rule of thumb for peacoat sizing. If I were to get a 1960s peacoat from VintageTrends (really would love to get Kersey wool and the corduroy pockets!), should I size down one more to 36R? Has the change in sizing been that dramatic? or am I bettter off with a 38R and then getting it altered?

Thank you so much!

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a really slim fitting peacoat, $250ish or under and not Sterlingwear or J. Crew? I have tried both of those brands and they are cut far too boxy for my liking. I need something with a really modern and slim fit as I'm 5'10" and only 125lbs. It's almost December and I'm going to be freezing ****** off here pretty soon without some proper outerwear so a huge thanks to anyone who can help me out!

dunelly

Reaction score
hey peacoat
i didn't mean to be rude, i just had trouble understanding what you meant.
especially,
"So, it appears that as the coats get smaller, the standard deduction of 2 must be increased to 3 to give the actual chest size. Not sure that I understand it, but it seems to be consistent. All of my research has been done with the more "normal" sizes of 40 through 44. With those coats, the standard deduction of 2 is dead on."

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArsenalDan
Hi Peacoat. First, thanks for all your very interesting research; I've read your post on Fedora and have scanned a bunch of your posts over here, but don't see a direct answer to my question, so I'll ask away. Apologies if it's redundant -- if so, please feel free to just link me to an answer.

Anyways, I recently tried on a new Sterlingwear 38R, which fit me just about perfectly (perhaps SLIGHTLY too snug in the body with a sweater on). I saw that you wrote on Fedora that "the earlier the smaller" is a good rule of thumb for peacoat sizing. If I were to get a 1960s peacoat from VintageTrends (really would love to get Kersey wool and the corduroy pockets!), should I size down one more to 36R? Has the change in sizing been that dramatic? or am I bettter off with a 38R and then getting it altered?

Thank you so much!

I need your measured chest size, either bare or wearing a tight Tshirt.

hey peacoat
i didn't mean to be rude, i just had trouble understanding what you meant.
especially,
"So, it appears that as the coats get smaller, the standard deduction of 2 must be increased to 3 to give the actual chest size. Not sure that I understand it, but it seems to be consistent. All of my research has been done with the more "normal" sizes of 40 through 44. With those coats, the standard deduction of 2 is dead on."

No problem. In order to understand what I am talking about, you need to read my article at the Fedora, especially the section on sizing at the the end. It may be that a factor of 4 should be used instead of the 3 as I stated above. I was distracted when I wrote that. I will go back and change it.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unbuttoned:
000_0154.jpg
Buttoned:
000_0161.jpg
38R '70s issue peacoat. Thoughts on fit?

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArsenalDan

Thank you so much!

In an earlier post to this question, I said I need to know your measured chest size, but I didn't explain why. The reason is the civilian peacoats vary so much in sizing, I can't really tell what might fit you the best in a vintage coat. I don't have much experience with the civilian Sterling peacoats, or the way they are sized.

The WWII peacoats are the most fitted. My 1949, and my 1950s seem to fit pretty much the same. As the we get into the mid to late 70s, there may be a slight increase the size, but not more than roughly a 1/2" or thereabouts. So anything after WWII, in the vintage coats, will fit about the same.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SLeiber32
Any recommendations for a really slim fitting peacoat, $250ish or under and not Sterlingwear or J. Crew? I have tried both of those brands and they are cut far too boxy for my liking. I need something with a really modern and slim fit as I'm 5'10" and only 125lbs. It's almost December and I'm going to be freezing ****** off here pretty soon without some proper outerwear so a huge thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Military issue peacoat off Vintage Trends.com.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads