• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 'Ask Foo' Thread

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baverso
Dear
foo.gif

I know the waist needs to be taken in, can you criticize my suit viciously?
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...09&postcount=2
worship.gif

Main thing: the front balance is short. The sleeve pitch might need correction, but it's hard to tell if your arms are hanging naturally.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Dear Foo,

What do you think of the Huntsman in the "Beautiful Vintage Huntsman" thread? I'm interested in how you find the shaping, mostly, but other critique is welcome as well.

Yrs,
Doc

I don't know how much I can tell from a jacket on a mannequin. I like the fabric. It looks soft, too--but I'm supposing that has to do with age. I don't like regular open-seam shoulders on jackets that have softened up and worn-in. Looks sad instead of elegantly tragic, as in the case of good shirt-set sleeves.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Assuming the hourglass shape is representative of how it really is, what do you think of that?

Nothing inherently good or bad about it. I'd have to see it on a person. It's all relative.

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
Dear Foo,

We all know what the Foofiorm looks like. However, what does Mr. Fan wear during the colder NYC months when it's snowing and/or freezing ou and a tweed coat simply isn't enough? A Rubinacci top coat? Conversely, what do you wear in the sweltering summer months of NYC.

Sincerely,
Fellow believer in PUW (personal uniform wardrobe)

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear
foo.gif

What is your thought of pairing tweed SC and tweed pants of different colors and weight?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
Dear Foo,

We all know what the Foofiorm looks like. However, what does Mr. Fan wear during the colder NYC months when it's snowing and/or freezing ou and a tweed coat simply isn't enough? A Rubinacci top coat? Conversely, what do you wear in the sweltering summer months of NYC.

Sincerely,
Fellow believer in PUW (personal uniform wardrobe)

My wardrobe is woefully underdeveloped in this respect. I don't have a proper overcoat, so I just wear a Mackintosh, scarf, and gloves, over my suit or odd jacket when it gets cold. 99% of the time, that's enough. However, ideally, I'd have a real coat. It's just not a priority.

Originally Posted by bellyhungry
Dear
foo.gif

What is your thought of pairing tweed SC and tweed pants of different colors and weight?

Don't like the sounds of it, but I grant that tweed comes in a lot of different varieties. It's not impossible one could do it successfully--but why? Tweed doesn't seem like very good trouser cloth.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Flusser's Clothes and the Man, which can be found used, is the best clothing book there is. If you had to have only one, this would be it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Flusser's Clothes and the Man, which can be found used, is the best clothing book there is. If you had to have only one, this would be it.

Is this the Ask Manton thread? I think not. You have your own little gig going on a few threads over. This here is Foo country.

That book doesn't have enough pictures.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Is this the Ask Manton thread? I think not. You have your own little gig going on a few threads over. This here is Foo country.

That book doesn't have enough pictures.

It has lots of pictures and the ones it has are more directly illustrative of the lessons in the text. Dressing OTOH appears more lavishly illustrated at first glance but its illustrations are not as useful. One can learn much more from the earlier book.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It has lots of pictures and the ones it has are more directly illustrative of the lessons in the text. Dressing OTOH appears more lavishly illustrated at first glance but its illustrations are not as useful. One can learn much more from the earlier book.

Usurper.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Usurper.

Not at all, just adding a point. Carry on.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not at all, just adding a point. Carry on.

Well, even though you're wrong, I'll add: regardless of what Flusser book you read, I recommend going through just one. He tends to say the same things over and over again.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Well, even though you're wrong, I'll add: regardless of what Flusser book you read, I recommend going through just one. He tends to say the same things over and over again.

There is a lot of repetition and I agree that his style hasn't changed much (which is good). But there are actually many choice nuggets in the where-to-shop books that are worth reading and that aren't in the other books. I also think that, despite its greater length, Dressing has less information in it than Clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads