• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Chan

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
I found the jacket a bit too short and the lapels a bit too narrow, otherwise, Chan did a pretty good job on this one.

structured_suit-5.jpg

I think everyone that uses Chan the first time say that the coat is short but I think it turns out the suits we've been wearing have all been too long.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I think everyone that uses Chan the first time say that the coat is short but I think it turns out the suits we've been wearing have all been too long.

Funny as I've been requesting from Chan and my other recent commissions that they lengthen the jackets a half inch from where they previously had been. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder! :^)

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
New suit arrived last week. Super soft and heavy cotton suit in Scabal Ascona. The breast pocket is a tad high, otherwise I think it turned out nicely. I asked for swelled edges on this one. Crappy pix, but you get the idea. Cappelli woven tie. Wore it to see Patrick today.

I like it, but I'm not sure that I like it more than your Haspel machine-washable.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the shape of Parker's suit. I think I'd prefer more of a true khaki or tobacco color but those are still a some sweet threads.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Haspel and all, but it's nowhere as nice as his Chan.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I got something from Chan this week when Patrick was here in LA. Opted out and decided to spend my money elsewhere.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that was the best 12 bucks I ever spent.
laugh.gif
I don't know if I'll throw this one in the washing machine yet.

Yeah, the Scabal book has some other nice colors in it. I think there's a darker brown and a there's a good mid-blue which I think would look great. This is straight up tan. Looks lighter and more yellow here than it actually is in person.

GoTigers0418

Reaction score
Fantastic suit in the picture (really great fabric choice).

I recently ordered my first suit from Chan when he was on tour in the U.S. For the Chan clients here, I wanted to know if your first suit with Chan was a done in HK or if it was done when he was on tour. It seems that many other clients of Chan seemed to have the best results when their first suit was done in HK with multiple fittings (with subsequent orders being done when Chan is on tour). Would appreciate any input the forum can provide.

Thanks,
Richard

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoTigers0418

I recently ordered my first suit from Chan when he was on tour in the U.S. For the Chan clients here, I wanted to know if your first suit with Chan was a done in HK or if it was done when he was on tour. It seems that many other clients of Chan seemed to have the best results when their first suit was done in HK with multiple fittings (with subsequent orders being done when Chan is on tour). Would appreciate any input the forum can provide.

Thanks,
Richard

Best to do your first commission with fittings so he can nail your pattern down right.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I love my Haspel and all, but it's nowhere as nice as his Chan.

This is because you do not possess Parker's magical powers.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoTigers0418

Thanks,
Richard

You'll see different opinions on this, but, as someone who ordered his first several suits on tour and did not get fittings, I strongly recommend having them. For the first suit, I would do both basted and forward fittings.

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Why? Do you own a mill or something? They have access to pretty much any cloth I can think of... What's so magic about CMT?
I figure I'm saving quite a bit by using my own cloth. My tailor has quoted me about $800.00 to $1,000 additional to supply the same cloth I can purchase for about $200.00. Almost every tailor I've ever talked to marks up the fabric by a factor of at least 200% to 300%.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
structured_suit-5.jpg

Originally Posted by Parker
tan0.jpg

I met with Patrick and Arnold this morning for my second step on the bespoke path, and I printed out both of these, among others, for examples of what I am looking for. They mentioned that you'd worn the cotton suit when they met with you a couple of days ago (without mentioning your name, rest assured). Specifically I pointed out the quarters on the navy suit, and the shoulders and lapels on the tan suit. I selected an H&S in a midnight blue that is lightweight, with a nice hand, half lined in emerald green bemberg. I also ordered a shirt, and I'm kind of regretting the impulse unfortunately. It's not a particularly good deal, and I should have waited to meet with Peter Lee or similar. I may do that anyway. I'll be in Hong Kong in about 2 weeks, and should be able to get both my basting and final fittings before I leave, suit (and shirt) in hand. I'm very excited!

emptym

Reaction score
^That's great. You should have a good trip. I got a PL button down when I was there and really like it. I also got some shirts next door at Danny's. The PL one is much better, particularly for a BD.

I didn't know the guys from Chan were still in town today. They overnighted a coat to me that FedEx tried to deliver to my home yesterday, but I was at work all day. Today I can work at home, so I hope I get it. Do you know how late they'll be here today? I had wanted to order another tweed coat. Although, it may be best for me to wear the one I'm getting today for a few months and see them in the spring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads