• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by velomane
4536007923_c21eb19889_o.jpg

Hey Arrow,

Have you been wearing these? I'm thinking of getting a pair and I'm curious about the fit. What size do you wear in Barrie/Trubalance and Leydon? How do the NST's compare? I'm sure everybody would love to see some pics as well.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Yeah, I've been wearing them in rotation with other Alden boots.
I wear a 9D in Trubalance (with full insole) and stuck with the same size with the Aberdeen NST
and Chukka NST (Barrie last). Since the toe area is a bit slimmer with the Barrie/Aberdeen, I only
use a half-insole. I will take pics soon.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
Beautiful!

Ravello Dover?

Originally Posted by PeterParker
Tom,

How old are those Ravello PTBs? With all the discussion about the changes in colour of Ravello I'm curious about the vintage of that pair and how they've aged (i.e. have they darkened with wear?). They look wonderful!

They're not ravello...

These are ravello:

Newer, darker ravello:

72610.jpg

Older, more whiskeyish ravello:

71808.jpg

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much thanks to Tom and Bryan with Leather Soul for their prompt responses regarding the Alden Pitt Boots. I am really thinking of pulling the trigger on the black cordovans. Anyone here have experience with the double leather soles and rain? I believe they are oiled which may add protection? Also, anyone have pics of what these boots look like after some wear?

Thanks in advance.

Thor

Reaction score
So,

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Grant last fits VS the Barrie? Is there a consensus?

I have searched the thread and comments seem to mostly say the Grant fits a tad smaller- although not everyone thinks that. Some think Grant is larger in the heel area.

Alden DC says it fits a tad thinner than Barrie...but length is similar.

Alden Carmel says the Grant is a about 3/4 of size smaller.

Alden SF has no comment as they do not stock the Grant...

If I wear a 7D in the Barrie- what should I wear in Grant?

What say you?

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Does anyone here have real-life photos of shoes/boots in tobacco chamois leather after some wear? Tom/Jason ?

I've wondered the same thing myself. I've been wearing a pair in this material for a few weeks, but they basically look the same as when I got them still. I love the look and feel of them, though.

Also, is there anything I need to do to care for this material?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor
So,

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Grant last fits VS the Barrie? Is there a consensus?

I have searched the thread and comments seem to mostly say the Grant fits a tad smaller- although not everyone thinks that. Some think Grant is larger in the heel area.

What say you?

Are you near a Brooks Brothers? The Black Fleece longwing is on the Grant Last.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I have the Grant last BBBF longwings in 9.5D in shell and pebble grain, and the shell #8 chukka in 9D. I would say Grant fits 1/2 size smaller than Barrie.

If you compare a 9D Barrie with a 9.5D Grant, the Grant is:
- Slightly narrower in forefoot
- Slighty longer in overall length
- Perhaps a tiny bit wider in the heel.

For reference, I am:
9D in Barrie
9D in Trubalance
9.5D in Grant
9.5D in Aberdeen
9.5D in Leydon
And don't fit the Van at all.

madstaxbro

Reaction score
Can anybody comment on the new cordovan tankers? Heard they were at Leather Soul for a bit and now they're in Context, but $625/pair, that's nearly my whole Black Friday budget.
Are they really worth it?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by werdswerf
Thinking about grabbing a pair of Color 8 shell longwings. Just wondering: I really only have one suit that I would need them to go with, and it's a charcoal gray flannel. Would this work, or would I be better off going with black shell?

It'd work, althought traditionally the no. 8 color was a brown substitute. Unless you like black shoes you may get tired of the black longwings. The no. 8 LW is pretty versatile and you see guys wearing it w/ jeans and khakis, as well as suits.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor
So,

What say you?

I agree with DC. Not a good fitting last generally speaking.

velomane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arrow
Hi Mike,
Yeah, I've been wearing them in rotation with other Alden boots.
I wear a 9D in Trubalance (with full insole) and stuck with the same size with the Aberdeen NST
and Chukka NST (Barrie last). Since the toe area is a bit slimmer with the Barrie/Aberdeen, I only
use a half-insole. I will take pics soon.

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated. One more question: how is the length of the 9D Aberdeen compared to the 9D Trubalance and Barrie? Would you say only marginally shorter? I ask because I am considering the 9D Aberdeen when I'm a 9C in Barrie.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads