• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

machochino

Reaction score
I couldn't find much info on Alden's Brown Aniline but after reading a few threads I'm still not sure what to use on it?

Alden Brown Shoe Paste will blend a shade of color on it over time and keep it polished right? On the other hand, something like Obenauf's will let the leather age better and not allow it to dry out, also darkens the color.

These plain toes are mainly for casual wear and I'd like to keep the subtle shades of color in them so I was hesitant to use a wax. I did get some minor scratches that would be nice to buff out but not necessary.

Any advice much appreciated.

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by werdswerf
Thinking about grabbing a pair of Color 8 shell longwings. Just wondering: I really only have one suit that I would need them to go with, and it's a charcoal gray flannel. Would this work, or would I be better off going with black shell?

Colorwise, Color 8 goes wonderfully with charcoal flannel. You just need to make sure the longwings are not storm-welted bluchers because they could be too informal with such a formal suit (although that opinion is certainly subject to some qualifications depending on where you intend to wear the suit/shoe combo).

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by number9dream
Colorwise, Color 8 goes wonderfully with charcoal flannel. You just need to make sure the longwings are not storm-welted bluchers because they could be too informal with such a formal suit (although that opinion is certainly subject to some qualifications depending on where you intend to wear the suit/shoe combo).

grab a pair of cheap black Park Avenue's to wear those times you need to be formal, you need a shoe like this in your wardrobe anyways

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many pairs of black shoes do you Alden addicts have?

Personally, I think black shoes are very hard to work with. I'm probably going to have one, still undecided on whether I should get cap toes or wing tips. I doubt they will be worn much at all.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Should get captoes espeically if youre just getting them because you need a pair of black shoes. I don't like black shoes either but you need them at times for interviews and stuff.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4

Personally, I think black shoes are very hard to work with. I'm probably going to have one, still undecided on whether I should get cap toes or wing tips. I doubt they will be worn much at all.

i have #8 longwings, #8 chukkas, cigar indys, black cordovan SF boot, and snuff suede chukkas. i had both the roys and the tankers from context but sold them and went all cordovan (minus the suede chukkas). i love aldens but only in cordovan. i think the extra amount is worth it for cordovan and if its not in cordovan there are plenty of other brands with great shoes.

i feel like black is easier with business wear since it is easy to match with dark colored suits. but black is still easy with jeans, but maybe not as easy as typical browns.

velomane

Reaction score
4536007923_c21eb19889_o.jpg

Hey Arrow,

Have you been wearing these? I'm thinking of getting a pair and I'm curious about the fit. What size do you wear in Barrie/Trubalance and Leydon? How do the NST's compare? I'm sure everybody would love to see some pics as well.

Mike

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on the Context boots. Did this after pulling the trigger on the Epaulet Ravello's last week...ughh... been painful on my wallet but hey, the Holiday's are just around the corner right?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for those that own standard issue, 2 eyelet Barrie last chukkas - how "locked in" do your feet feel? I feel like I am wearing the right size (shoe is snug all over, but not overly so) EXCEPT for the area above the laces. the extra material around the ankle just kind of floats there, and I can flex my ankle really far forward. it almost feels less secure than a blucher, even though I was expecting more of a true boot/bulletproof feel.

thoughts?

werdswerf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by number9dream

It's these here: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...ongwing/Detail. What do you think ... too informal?

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4

12 pairs of Alden.

1 pair is black. (Black Indy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads