• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stocking up wardrobe...

cartisdm

Reaction score
I'm a recent graduate and now have the best opportunity to start my "style." I've had an office job since I was 16 so I have a decent amount of dress/work clothes but it's time I start looking into more quality apparel.

Noteworthy owned items:
- Top coat (from Men's Warehouse...unsure of brandname off top of my head)
- London Fog Pea Coat
- Black Steve Madden Serpant dress shoes (most recent purchase...not sure if I'm a big fan or not yet)
- Seiko steel band watch
- various shirts/ties/pants with brands like Arrow, Van Heusen, Apt. 9., etc.
- couple of cheap-ish belts from Kohls

Wish list
- Leather jacket (or any fine "light jacket")
- More shoes
- Dress socks (I was thinking of Viccel brand)
- More dress shirts/pants

What do you all think as far as this being a starting ground? Please voice any and all opinions about all that I have posted.

I just moved to Charlotte, NC so I am also on the lookout for a good [affordable] tailor to get started. Finally....what's the deal with ModernTailor.com? Worth considering as a beginner or should I not get ahead of myself?

Thanks!!!

jobro

Reaction score
Start with perhaps a suit or odd jacket. A navy or charcoal suit is a good start - so is a navy blazer. ModernTailor is beginner friendly, order a trial shirt and give them the measurements from your best fitting shirt. Check out the forum sponsors like Howard Yount, Clothes Horse and eHABERDASHER on the banner above for those items on your wish list. For shoes depending on your price range check out Allen Edmonds, Alden, Crockett & Jones, Chaney etc. Plal, Herring shoes and Pediwear are good websites for footwear. Lurk WAYWRN for inspiration and second hand advice. Try not to post in WAYWRN for a while and don't forget to exhaust the search function! Good luck.

cartisdm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Start with perhaps a suit or odd jacket. A navy or charcoal suit is a good start - so is a navy blazer.

ModernTailor is beginner friendly, order a trial shirt and give them the measurements from your best fitting shirt.

Check out the forum sponsors like Howard Yount, Clothes Horse and eHABERDASHER on the banner above for those items on your wish list.

For shoes depending on your price range check out Allen Edmonds, Alden, Crockett & Jones, Chaney etc. Plal, Herring shoes and Pediwear are good websites for footwear.

Lurk WAYWRN for inspiration and second hand advice. Try not to post in WAYWRN for a while and don't forget to exhaust the search function!

Good luck.

Oh, I fogot that I have a nice suit from Express. Gray in color with like a subtle window pane type of pattern (unsure of the correct terminology).

I know Jos. A Bank has a lot of great bargins on things like buy 2 suits get one free. Or by 3 shirts get 2 free and other great deals. Do they have a tailor on sight so I could make purchases then have them altered on the spot? Is this even a good place to consider for trying to stock up on quality clothing?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cartisdm
Is this even a good place to consider for trying to stock up on quality clothing?
Depends on your budget and views on quality & value. JAB don't make the highest quality garments. You should check out eHaberdasher. You will find that if you pay a little bit more, for say a suit, on eHaberdasher, rather than JAB, you will get a lot more value for money in terms of quality.

cartisdm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Depends on your budget and views on quality & value.

well, I am ready to step up from buying my dress clothes at Kohls and I hate having clothing that doesn't fit well. I don't want to get ahead of myself and start blowing my money on clothing that I'm not quite ready for just yet.

my current job doesn't even really require I get very dressy ("business casual"), but I still wear dress pants, a button down, and the occasional tie. a lot of my most dressy occasion occur after work when I'm out on the town or having a nice dinner with my fiancee

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For suits and jackets, shop locally. Nordstrom, for example. Jos. A. Bank is mediocre, and for most items, two-for-one is not a good idea. Dillard's might have some decent shirts. Same for T.J. Maxx. Most of the existing wardrobe sounds like it should be replaced sooner rather than later.

cartisdm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
For suits and jackets, shop locally. Nordstrom, for example. Jos. A. Bank is mediocre, and for most items, two-for-one is not a good idea. Dillard's might have some decent shirts. Same for T.J. Maxx. Most of the existing wardrobe sounds like it should be replaced sooner rather than later.

Great ideas, I'll stay on the lookout at my local TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Today me and my dry cleaner shared quite a few words and after she repeatedly called me a liar (she ruined one of my shirts) I told her I'd be taking my business elsewhere. Which sucks because she is local within my apartment complex
frown.gif

Anyone recommend a great tailor/dry cleaner in the Charlotte area?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads