• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

J.V

Reaction score
Siggy: the only difference in the RTF glock is the textured grip that you see in the picture. Its is an all around texture on the grip that i guess Glock did a limited run on as like a trial. I really like the feel of it compared to the standard grips. Aside from that its stock Gen 3 internally. I have heard some complaints of guys saying that they tear into their side when they conceal carry, because the grips can feel a little bit like sand paper on your side. Once i switched over to a better holster i have had no complaints about that.
P6121500.jpg

i10casual: I dont think ill end up trading in my 19 just because i would like to get into some IDPA shooing or something and this just seems like a better gun to do this with than a compact pistol.

I got a chance to shoot my buddies G26 and i like it alot and a reason im leaning towards a G26 is because of how familiar i am with it because of the 19. However, i think it still might be too wide being a double stack and all. That is one of the reasons im leaning towards a single stack gun.

But like I said i have alot of shopping around to do come spring time. i might pick up a LCP or the Keltec around xmas time when i have some free cash lying around and if i dont start my lower sleeve ink. Well see how it goes. I also have a carbine that i would love to throw some money into as well....i just never ends.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
bump

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Those belt-fed semi-automatic long guns would be good conversation pieces, but can't see how they'd be very practical except as a novelty.

But THINK of the novelty value! It's a quiet afternoon on the range: Bubba is sighting in his new deer rifle and Francis is busting some caps with his new uber tacticool AR15 when you and your assistant gunner (both in full WWII Soviet uniforms) wheel this baby up to your shooting bay:

495_sg43.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, there's no need to be practical. And let me tell you, beltfed not-semi-automatics are just so much more fun.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Cheytac M310 single shot in .408 is on my radar screen again. It's been a while since I've owned a real long range rifle.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for someone (Sako?, Accuracy International?) to make a rifle chambered for .338 Norma Mag, so I don't have to get one custom made.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've half-wanted an AK74 for a few years now and the new Century Bulgy's in the mid-$300 range are very tempting. On the plus-side they are built using Bulgarian and TAPCO with an NDS receiver. On the down-side: the are assembled by Century! (
baldy[1].gif
) and have a non chrome-lined barrel. So, I would end-up replacing the furniture with a nice wood set (or maybe plum & AKS side-folder), replacing the barrel with something in spec. and fixing the CAI monkey mistakes in assembly. Guess I might as well just convert a 5.45 Saiga!

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on a S&W 642/442 vs. S&W 340 M&P vs. Ruger LCR as a first gun w/ the potential for future CCW?

I suspect the 340 is the best, but not sure it's worth the extra cost (I never ended up settling on any of the .22s I was looking for a few months back, and the difference between the 340 and the other two could probably get me most of the way to a nice mk III).

JustinW, I think I saw that you carry a 340 PD. I assume you're happy with it? Are the CT grips a must have on a gun like these? Any issues as a lefty?

Miles Gloriosus

Reaction score
My brother gifted me a .22lr before he left the state. I live in California and I don't have a clue about our gun laws. Where can I start?

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
had a chance to meet with the executives at Taurus S.A. and see some of their in-progress designs and current inventory. Talk about being a kid in a candy shop
drool.gif

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I've half-wanted an AK74 for a few years now and the new Century Bulgy's in the mid-$300 range are very tempting. On the plus-side they are built using Bulgarian and TAPCO with an NDS receiver. On the down-side: the are assembled by Century! (
baldy[1].gif
) and have a non chrome-lined barrel. So, I would end-up replacing the furniture with a nice wood set (or maybe plum & AKS side-folder), replacing the barrel with something in spec. and fixing the CAI monkey mistakes in assembly. Guess I might as well just convert a 5.45 Saiga!

For that kind of money and work, an Arsenal Saiga looks like a pretty good deal.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=354 - $800 for a SGL-31

I've been looking at their side-folders, but I'll have an excellent AR-15 whenever my upper arrives, and I'm trying not to be a collector these days...

Thoughts on a S&W 642/442 vs. S&W 340 M&P vs. Ruger LCR as a first gun w/ the potential for future CCW?
Snub-nose .38s are hard to shoot. Recoil is hot (even for a relatively easy-shooting round) and the trigger on those is going to be hard to master for a beginner, doubly so if you have big hands.
Of the three, I prefer the Ruger LCR. Ergonomics are roughly equal, but the trigger is lighter and smoother in my experience. After the LCR, I'd probably look at one of S&W's snubs with an external hammer. Given my experience with a 642, I would feel more comfortable having the option of a cocked shot.

If you want a combo first-gun/CCW, I'd take a long look at the Glock 26. 9mm ammo is cheap and plentiful, it's big enough to shoot a lot on the range but pretty concealable all in all (if you're not looking for pocket carry).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads