• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identifying shell cordovan

sockpuppets

Reaction score
I can't tell. The creases make me think regular leather but the rolls, dimple around the eyelets and color 8 similarity make me think cordovan. They're peal & co. Anyone?
Vdh7H.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they're shell, not completely sure though.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Creasing patterns, plus the coloring in the last pic, plus the way the material "folds over" a tiny bit at the sides of the shoe, leads me to conclude shell. I agree that the micro-creasing seemingly evident in the first pic could seem calf-like. But it's not as prominent or as webbed as calf micro-creasing would be. So I am about as certain as I can be, given the imperfect evidence, that these are shell.

The calls we need to make in threads like these are always hard to determine, because so many of shell cordovan's idiosyncrasies need to be seen or felt in person. The look, feel, heft, and even smell of shell cordovan is hard to determine definitively in a handful of web pics.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Made in England Ralph Lauren monkstraps that look very similar (in regards to creasing) and my shoes are corrected grain. They have that shell ripple with micro-creases.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm sticking to my guns on this. CG would have more color fading at the creases and wouldn't support such a variegated color pattern in general. All the CG I've ever seen (though I will admit it hasn't been all that much) has been characterized by a very uniform, bland color with no patina or variegation except for fading at the creases. The heels and upper vamp of these shoes, on the other hand, look very shell-like to me.

Tough to say definitively, but I would still say shell.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I'm sticking to my guns on this. CG would have more color fading at the creases and wouldn't support such a variegated color pattern in general. All the CG I've ever seen (though I will admit it hasn't been all that much) has been characterized by a very uniform, bland color with no patina or variegation except for fading at the creases. The heels and upper vamp of these shoes, on the other hand, look very shell-like to me.

Tough to say definitively, but I would still say shell.

I've never seen shell cordovan with fine wrinkles in between the larger creases. There's no doubt that this is CG. And depending on how the CG is finished, varying degrees of coloration/patination could be applied by the leather producer. C&J's cavalry calf is a good example of patinated CG. Not all CG is uniform; don't be fooled by Church's polish binder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads