• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
+1

Though to be fair, 1980's *** Turbo bikes are the pinnacle of cool to me.

1982_XN85_Turbo_450.jpg

My dad's got one of these he bought brand new in 1988. Still unsold in the crate. Really a frightening ride the way the turbo comes on. The lag is insane.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
My dad's got one of these he bought brand new in 1988. Still unsold in the crate. Really a frightening ride the way the turbo comes on. The lag is insane.

Yeah, I hear they were not really user friendly bikes.
smile.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Gnatty,

I like how you talk about generic sports bikes and then in almost the same breath speak lovingly of a buying Fat bob after just acquiring a Street bob.
laugh.gif

I guess looking from the inside out things look different than when looking from the outside in.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Dear Gnatty,

I like how you talk about generic sports bikes and then in almost the same breath speak lovingly of a buying Fat bob after just acquiring a Street bob.
laugh.gif

I guess looking from the inside out things look different than when looking from the outside in.

We are using the term generic in different manners it would seem. Generic to me, means it is difficult to tell one from the other. In this regard, I think the Fat Bob and Street Bob are very easy to distinguish (in fact, my 4 year old son can already do this) from one another. However, line up 10 sport bikes all in blue, and I think I'd have a hard time telling one from the other. Still, you have a point that it's all about perspective. Maybe the fact that the pointy ass end on one is 1" higher than the pointy ass end on another is meaningful to afficianados. It isn't to me, which is why I find it hard to find these bikes attractive.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vn900.gif
69629633_3-2003-Yamaha-XVS1100-V-Star-Custom-Everything-Else.jpg
11873791998Harley-DavidsonFatBoy.jpg
100000.jpg
kawasaki-zx10r-2006-noir_.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my idea of a cruiser:

11STAR_VMAX_Gray_A_005_30bcc54d.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was using those pictures as an example of how cruisers and crotch rockets can both look exactly the same. It's a Harley but... I like it
main.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
I was using those pictures as an example of how cruisers and crotch rockets can both look exactly the same.

It's a Harley but... I like it
main.jpg

I had one, a 1200 Lightning. It was an interesting bike. It had those wild looks...and then it had that low-revving, torque monster of an irrigation pump motor. It took some getting used to, shifting your bike at a lower rpm point than your car. I am just not a big fan of the V-Twin pushrod powerplant in a bike. I had it for less than a year before I sold it. Might have ridden it 10 times total.

Mike

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
I was using those pictures as an example of how cruisers and crotch rockets can both look exactly the same.
I know, I was just showing that that wasn't all there was. Saying that all sportbikes look the same based on a couple examples and ignoring all the rest that don't follow that example isn't exactly fair. There are plenty of sportbikes that don't look like the two you posted. I would like someone to post pictures of (stock, not custom) cruisers that don't fit in the Harley Davidson cruiser mold though. I've seen a couple (really ugly swoopy ones with LED lights and bulbous fairings) but I can't remember what they are. They are the exception to the rule though, as far as I know. Most cruisers look like Harleys on purpose.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This isn't what I was thinking of, but I guess this qualifies as a non-harley style cruiser.
dn01_us_5.jpg
edit: this is the one I was thinking of:
2011_Victory+Vision_8-Ball_review.jpg
Victory makes some weird looking bikes.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
^
I don't think I have ever seen that motorcycle in real life or in print. Ghastly. Still though, relatively Harley-esque typical cruiser styling. Especially from the gas tank back. Front end is hideous though.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it less now than when it came out and I was, what, twelve, but for cruisers it's not bad. And it's different. (edit: but you're right about the back end, at least behind the boxer motor)
0623081829.jpg
Edit: Ok I was 20 years old

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You were 12 in 2004?

Second pic, with all the farkles on it is less offensive than the first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads