• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many brown belts do we need?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I have two. One narrower dark dress belt to go with brown dress shoes, and and one wider medium brown belt I wear with jeans.

EZ

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
wtf

One. You need one.

So you wear the same colour and width belt and buckle no matter the colour of your shoes, no matter if you have on jeans, chinos, odd trousers, cords, summer linens or a suit?

This may be the pot calling the kettle black but you might get a bit less aggro on this board if you didn't answer in such a way as you are right, it's non negotiable, and everyone who disagrees is wrong. We don't live in a black and white world.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
So you wear the same colour and width belt and buckle no matter the colour of your shoes, no matter if you have on jeans, chinos, odd trousers, cords, summer linens or a suit? This may be the pot calling the kettle black but you might get a bit less aggro on this board if you didn't answer in such a way as you are right, it's non negotiable, and everyone who disagrees is wrong. We don't live in a black and white world.
No, but we live in a world where it isn't necessary (or even desirable) to wear belts that exactly match our shoes. You only need one brown dress belt to accommodate a range of brown-colored shoes. The real question is not how many brown belts, or what color brown, but rather: what material? The optimum solution is to wear your belt in a hide different from your shoes. A brown alligator belt, for example, is a must-have--particularly if it's tanned and dyed to yield a range of tones. Such a belt can potentially go with everything from #8 cordovan to plain coffee brown to fiery chestnut. It just wouldn't look right with alligator shoes. Save up for a single good alligator belt before arming yourself with a plethora of calfskin ones in a misguided attempt to book-match every pair of shoes you own. When you can go more casual, surcingle, ribbon, etc., are excellent choices. So, you only need one brown belt.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but we live in a world where it isn't necessary (or even desirable) to wear belts that exactly match our shoes. You only need one brown dress belt to accommodate a range of brown-colored shoes.

The real question is not how many brown belts, or what color brown, but rather: what material? The optimum solution is to wear your belt in a hide different from your shoes. A brown alligator belt, for example, is a must-have--particularly if it's tanned and dyed to yield a range of tones. Such a belt can potentially go with everything from #8 cordovan to plain coffee brown to fiery chestnut. It just wouldn't look right with alligator shoes. Save up for a single good alligator belt before arming yourself with a plethora of calfskin ones in a misguided attempt to book-match every pair of shoes you own.

When you can go more casual, surcingle, ribbon, etc., are excellent choices.

So, you only need one brown belt.

I assume brown suede shoes don't go with alligator belts, however?

Hoodyy

Reaction score
I have two. One is light tan, the other dark tan.

Depending on the jeans / shoes i'm wearing I choose accordingly.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I assume brown suede shoes don't go with alligator belts, however?

Why not? Sounds fine to me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
The cracked look of an alligator belt with really soft looking suede shoes seems jarring.

What, you'd wear suede with . . . suede? A different texture is exactly what's called for.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but we live in a world where it isn't necessary (or even desirable) to wear belts that exactly match our shoes. You only need one brown dress belt to accommodate a range of brown-colored shoes.

The real question is not how many brown belts, or what color brown, but rather: what material? The optimum solution is to wear your belt in a hide different from your shoes. A brown alligator belt, for example, is a must-have--particularly if it's tanned and dyed to yield a range of tones. Such a belt can potentially go with everything from #8 cordovan to plain coffee brown to fiery chestnut. It just wouldn't look right with alligator shoes. Save up for a single good alligator belt before arming yourself with a plethora of calfskin ones in a misguided attempt to book-match every pair of shoes you own.

I agree with the substance of this theory (though I have a couple more just because I particularly like belts), but I think you should at least allow for one large heavy leather belt for jeans in addition to the 'gator, just in case one doesn't like ribbon belts with jeans. I confess to having two 'jeans belts': one brown, one black. But one natural-coloured one would probably be enough.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I agree with the substance of this theory (though I have a couple more just because I particularly like belts), but I think you should at least allow for one large heavy leather belt for jeans in addition to the 'gator, just in case one doesn't like ribbon belts with jeans. I confess to having two 'jeans belts': one brown, one black. But one natural-coloured one would probably be enough.

I guess this is right: I myself wear a thicker, more casual leather belt with jeans. However, it has nothing to do with trying to match my shoes.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess this is right: I myself wear a thicker, more casual leather belt with jeans. However, it has nothing to do with trying to match my shoes.

Then we're in full agreement.

But here's a bad thought I've had recently: matte, thick and rustic ostrich leg belt for jeans. Monstrously tacky? Almost certainly. Also, I never know if there could be a proper use for regular ostrich belts (the stuff with the bumps, not the wrinkly legs).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Then we're in full agreement.

But here's a bad thought I've had recently: matte, thick and rustic ostrich leg belt for jeans. Monstrously tacky? Almost certainly. Also, I never know if there could be a proper use for regular ostrich belts (the stuff with the bumps, not the wrinkly legs).

Blegh. Don't do it.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I agree with ianiceman and other people who say that you think that you are always right, when really it is just your opinion which means nothing to anyone but you, especially when you get mad and try to tell people like you are the final answer. What are your credentials for being so knowledgeable? Have you written a book on fashion?? You say "or even desirable." For who??? Not for me! I desire to have multiple brown belts as I am sure that many other people do too. It is not necessary, but I desire them nonetheless. The hostility is not necessary is all that I am saying and putting your answers like you are the only right person is also not necessary. Respect goes a long way, arrogance doesn't.

To the OP, I would say that it is nice to have at least 3. One light, one medium and one dark. This is just for calfskin however. Suede's and other skins is a whole other ball game. It is not necessary to have one for every shade. You can always match your belt with the color of your sole, for instance on a chili-colored shoe that has a dark brown sole, you can use the dark brown belt. Hope that this helps. You probably already know this but Allen Edmonds does provide a belt to match every color shoe that they produce.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blegh. Don't do it.

It's not something I would actually do. I air the thought so I see how bad it sounds and then I don't actually do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads