• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your opinions on argyle sweaters

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
It was fresh & cool in 2006 or 2007, but not any more.
Argyle apparel is now commonly sold in Walmart.
Next stop: The $1 store.

Has anyone tried to stay ahead of the curve and ditch the argyle?

Pants are sold now at Walmart too. S'why I don't wear them *****.

sephlod

Reaction score
Ditching all of my argyle sweaters this year. They are definitely on the way out

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In and out... whatever. It's a classic pattern and will never look all that out of place. The fashion industry is based on the false premise that things look good in some years and look bad in others. It's something that should be ignored as much as possible.

I have an argyle sweater. Brown with black and gray diamonds. I like it, and wish I had more in warmer fabrics for the time of year when cotton doesn't cut it. And I don't see that changing just becuase a few designers in New York City want to sell more sweaters.

sailorjerry1965

Reaction score
First, what 25 Cent is wearing isn't a sweater at all; it's a polo/golf shirt. It would look better on Tony Soprano than a hip hop scumbag.

Next, argyle isn't bad, but I agree, it depends on the color combination and pattern. It also looks too collegiate (no offense intended) for those who aren't.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
In and out... whatever. It's a classic pattern and will never look all that out of place. The fashion industry is based on the false premise that things look good in some years and look bad in others. It's something that should be ignored as much as possible.
+1 I like the look of argyle, and the sweaters are a fun holiday getup. I wouldn't wear them every day, but relish in bringing one out occasionally. Recently found some Old Navy v-neck argyle sweaters for $15, that I thought were easily worth the price of admission.
on776213-02p01v01.jpg
on776213-05p01v01.jpg
on776213-06p01v01.jpg
They had some other variations of the pattern too, here's a link to all of them: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/search...x=0&submit.y=0

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear Argyle ... sweaters & socks (but not simultaneously). In winter months ... half the socks I wear are Argyle pattern.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't these classic patterns? I don't understand why they should not be OK, they could sell at Wal Mart but that doesn't change anything.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Aren't these classic patterns? I don't understand why they should not be OK, they could sell at Wal Mart but that doesn't change anything.
Good God. I've said they are alright/okay ... and if I say it ... they are definitely, positively alright.

And to this point ... you fellows have posted pathetic examples of the Argyle ... be it sweater or socks. I'll come back later tonight with a post to knock ... if not your sweaters ... you socks off.

Miles Gloriosus

Reaction score
There was a lot of bullshit in this season's APC collection, but I liked the dark argyle sweater. Makes me think of a mobster.
493201.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Good God. I've said they are alright/okay ... and if I say that ... the are definitely, positively alright. And to this point ... you fellows have posted pathetic examples of the Argyle ... be it sweater or socks. I'll come back later tonight with a post to knock if not your sweaters ... you socks off.
I think forex's post isn't direct to you, rather to this:
It was fresh & cool in 2006 or 2007, but not any more. Argyle apparel is now commonly sold in Walmart. Next stop: The $1 store. Has anyone tried to stay ahead of the curve and ditch the argyle?

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
I think argyle is pretty timeless. Certainly some can wear it better than others.

And this is Style Forum, not Fashion Forum, right? Should we care as much if Wal-Mart is selling it?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex
And this is Style Forum, not Fashion Forum, right? Should we care as much if Wal-Mart is selling it?

I stopped buying solids after I heard Wal-Mart was carrying them.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
I think forex's post isn't direct to you, rather to this:
Mine isn't really dirrected at forex ... shall we say ... I'm making use of his post.

Hope you don't mind forex ... no ill will intended.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was fresh & cool in 2006 or 2007, but not any more.
It was fresh and cool long before that ... by many decades.

Argyle apparel is now commonly sold in Walmart.
Not the kind one finds at ... ohhhh ... Mettez in Paris ... or Knize in Vienna ... or Paul Stuart in New York.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads