• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I don't like Spit Polish - and I can do it well - spit is better than water too. It looks too shiney

I Topy nearly everything - have for years and years - also has the advantage you don't slip arse over tit on marbled foyers at a business meet.

On this, we agree

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit yourself.

I'm 25 and my old man would wrap be around the chops if i said something like that, and for good reason! And visa versa mind you.

Originally Posted by fxh
You are too generous

Look, its a reasonably polite colloquial term for a woman who was wearing a singlet with acres of cleavage at the front, at least 6 " of bare skin around middle, and delightfully, showing a bit of arse cleavage as she bent over and a tatt - referred to as a whale tail, arse antler or ....

And what would you suggest on beach in winter?

T'was a bad joke then - the only reason I look at young girls in short skirts is to wonder if they might be cold. (In Taiwan the Betel Nut Girls are something that makes you stare - just because its weird.) http://www.google.com.au/images?clie...ed=0CCkQsAQwAA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betel_nut_beauty

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
The low demand and generally undereducated buyers account for a lot of the high prices.

Relatively low population also makes maximum demand limited. But. By most world standards Melbourne and Sydney, at least, are very large cities. Big.

Low demand means that inventory costs are high.

I now have 6 Oxford Button downs from Lands End, better than anything I've seen here selling $120 each (and theres bugger all here).

The whole 6 cost me less than $200 all up - delivered - to my doorstep - not to post office. Thats $30 each - you can't even buy a crappy shirt for $30 here.

I have a whole bunch of chinos from Peter Christian. The tailor says they are some of the "cleanest made" pants he's seen. I can't get the same shape or colours here anywhere and any locally available chinos that come close are up around $120. Christians are 2 for 50gbp =$ 80aus less 17.5% VAT plus 15 GBP postage = less than $50 each for well made stuff.

Shoes - I'm no big timer so its Pediwear and Herring for me - I know my size - great goodyear welted shoes for around or less than the price of a square toed glued white slip on footballers monster here at Aquila.

Socks - over the calf wool, cotton or wool and silk from Viccel in Turkey @ $8 each or less free postage - cheaper than target synthetic socks.

My last 3 sport coats were from UK online new and near new - less than $130 landed.

Ties - online

One day this week I was talking to a few women at work re clothes etc - mainly womens clothes - I looked and the only thing I was wearing that I hadn't got from overseas online was my underpants. Undies from Rivers.

Now I'm not sure this is going to worry the average mens wear store much at all but I suspect its going to eat into the better clothing stores like Henry Bucks, American Tailors etc.

I know if I wasn't buying confidently online I'd probably be buying - much less volume - from some Melbourne shops.

Saving a few dollars doesn't really matter much to me - $20 on a $100 spend isn't worth changing shopping habits - but the range, quality and combined with huge prices differences is what makes the difference.

Plus the convenience - once you get it right - online shopping is a cinch - for clothes - not all clothes fro all people - but many clothes.

Its going to get better - a few UK sites now have a .com.au address with aussie dollars - they know the rising dollar is getting them customers. I got a hard copy colour UK catalogue the other day in mail - all in Aussie dollars.

If you don't mind, could you give us (i.e. the relatively unitiated) an idea of the best sites online to buy?

I too am sick of the Melbourne prices and choices.

Cheers.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3ff3z8e
It's leather soled, PG. I'm not too sure if they produced the F-Fit Hallam in Dainite sole. I doubt so...

Unfortunately for me, the only C&J shoes I can possibly fit into are those produced in the F-fit i.e. the Hallam, Westfield, Connaught and Finsbury. That sorta rules out any of the other good lookin C&Js..
frown.gif

The Hallam in Dark Brown Cavalry calf comes standard with a Danite sole. What colour are yours (originally?)

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Thanks fxh.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=143081

if you click on the url in Kamal's signatures he has a 20% discount for SF

I'm not sure whats going on with Viccels new site - about half of it doesn't work in my Opera browser. But the old site is still up I think

mmmh maybe he just hasn't populated 100% wool socks and Underwear - I can't wait to see what the under wear is........

edit: I get winter weight in everything - its pretty thin anyway

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
The Hallam in Dark Brown Cavalry calf comes standard with a Danite sole. What colour are yours (originally?)

The normal, leather-soled Hallam comes in "Beechnut".

kingjames

Reaction score
Don't shop in australia where the retailer will rip you off with their high prices and **** customer service. The rubbish that they sell in australia is so out of date, limited in selection and overpriced. I only shop overseas.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
If you don't mind, could you give us (i.e. the relatively unitiated) an idea of the best sites online to buy?

Cheers.

Maybe other could post a few sites here and the odd comment about fit and experiences.

f'rinstance I'd like to know about the UK shirts mobs CT, Lewin etc - and what is a slim fit and how much they shrink etc.

I'll start - my Lands End Oxfords are good - don't seem to shrink much - not ultra slim - but not blousey - I think an OCBD probably should not be too slim. Shipping around 2-3 weeks. I did get a shock once browsing their US site ( they also have a UK one but it seems dearer) when a popup IM from a staffer late one night asked me if I was ok and what I wanted - answered questions well

Christians -I emailed and asked for trouser measurements at waist, thigh, knee and cuff and they sent them for each model trouser I asked. Shipped about a week after I ordered.

Pediwear /Herring are all good - measure foot and send measurements they will recommend size if you aren't sure - I have returned stuff due to wrong size (my problem not theirs) shipping $ back on a pair of shoes is OUCH.

edit:: Oh the amazing thing about these two shoe places is the speed - order Friday night here when you are half cut and you get carried away - forget about it when you sober up and then bingo - on Tuesday they are on your doorstep and you have to explain to others - no time for softening up.

Viccel - take about 3 weeks to get socks but he's so bloody friendly and genuine with follow up emails asking if you like socks etc - I'd never send anything back at those prices even if it didn't fit.
And his package with Happy Feet - Happy People slogan on it makes me happy every time.

Bookster on ebay for used and new jackets (not their own) - not always a great range but when they are ok they are good. You have to keep an eye out. Their measurements and descriptions and photos are pretty bloody accurate and knowledgeable. And like Kamal you email a real person not a bored worker - most of the UK smaller ones you get a good human email response - or at least they act it well.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh

edit:: Oh the amazing thing about these two shoe places is the speed - order Friday night here when you are half cut and you get carried away - forget about it when you sober up and then bingo - on Tuesday they are on your doorstep and you have to explain to others - no time for softening up.

Big lol. There should be a 'don't drink and purchase online fashion' community service announcement.

I too have faced the 'oh, there was a box delievered for you today...' comment on the phone.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone warehouse sale today in Surry - got to be honest not much going on there. A lot of the same jackets and odds hanging around from last time I went there in about May this year.

Plenty of shirts as usual (don't fit my gangly proportions however), so if you need shirts then likely they will have something you like at a reasonable price by Aussie standards.

No C&Js or course, but a few tatty looking loafers made for HB by Cheney I believe.

Best buys there are the cashmere v-neck sweaters - down from $400 to $177, made in Italy and plenty of colours and most sizes.

Best of luck eBlokes.

Indra

Reaction score
Where do you guys pick up your shoe trees? (assuming they don't come with the original footwear)
Ordering from Cedarville/Woodlore is ok but if i could find somewhere with cheaper shipping it'd be great.
Just a matter of lucky timing on eBay perhaps? I've had a look at the Nordstrom website and whilst purchase prices are better, shipping is still pricey plus i prefer the look of the woodlore products (brass knob rather than a plate)

Sydney based by the way.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Indra
Where do you guys pick up your shoe trees? (assuming they don't come with the original footwear)
Ordering from Cedarville/Woodlore is ok but if i could find somewhere with cheaper shipping it'd be great.
Just a matter of lucky timing on eBay perhaps? I've had a look at the Nordstrom website and whilst purchase prices are better, shipping is still pricey plus i prefer the look of the woodlore products (brass knob rather than a plate)

Sydney based by the way.

There is sometimes a shoe tree group buy in this thread below for Australian members

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=126888

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Nice list of online sites fxh.

I'll add:

Howard Yount: I've bought trousers and ties from Jamison. The trousers I bought are very true to size so leave your ego out of the equation if you buy. Wait until the end of seasons to buy as the US seasons work well for us (i.e. he discounts his winter gear as our winter is starting). Shipping is by purchase amount... $10 shipping / $100, e.g. $300 of purchase = $30 shipping. Takes 1 to 2 weeks

Kent Wang: Cuff links / pocket squares. Double sided cuff links are a hard to find, and he has some nice ones. Cheap shipping, takes a couple of weeks.

eHaberdasher: I bought a Benjamin suit earlier this year for $500 US. Very nice suit... a little too much shoulder padding for my taste, but a lot of bang for your buck. Fast shipping as well (took a week from memory)

Cottonwork: MTM shirts in ok fabric if you buy from the luxury line ($80 a shirt). Very true to measurements you send, and about a 3 week turn-around in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads