• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it worth transferring schools?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
All he needs to do is check off that he's black and he'll get accepted in no time.
wink.gif

ah, another white guy who got dinged from his first choice
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

OakCliff

Reaction score
If you are planning to go to grad school, focus on what you need to do to get in and stay where you are. If you aren't planning on grad school, change majors to something more marketable. Don't be too short sighted. You can improve your credentials in grad school and where you went undergrad will not make much difference. Also keep in mind where you want to live and work after graduating.

v.freeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Prestige of undergrad factors into grad, no?
That **** don't fly any more. Maybe in 2007, but no more. If you decide to stick out a philosophy major, you better have significant internship experience in your targeted field. And honestly, knowing what everyone thinks of studying philosophy as a major (a joke), why would you choose it in the first place?

Mal

Reaction score
Prestige of undergrad factors into grad, no?

The short answer is for you it won't matter, you aren't comparing some terrible school with an amazing one. It isn't even considered in law applications, so if that is your plan you would be marsupialed to risk your gpa by transferring.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v.freeman
That **** don't fly any more. Maybe in 2007, but no more. If you decide to stick out a philosophy major, you better have significant internship experience in your targeted field. And honestly, knowing what everyone thinks of studying philosophy as a major (a joke), why would you choose it in the first place?
Grad school of some sort was always the plan. I'm pretty average in math/sciences so that eliminates engineering. Economics absolutely bores me and I suppose BA wouldn't be much better. Although in hindsight I probably should have majored in business... it's bearable and useful at the same time. Anyway, this left me to choose between humanities and the rest of the social sciences; of which philosophy was the most interesting and intellectually stimulating (I mean, compared to like gender studies, psych, arthistory, sociology and **** lol).

dave333

Reaction score
Die in a fire plz.

But really, that's quite an accomplishment... where did you end up going and why did you pick it? I'm curious because I think I'm trying to leave my current school for what probably is all the wrong reasons.

I've been to Columbia and I've been to UChicago/Northwestern. There are a lot of cool kids here; making friends and having fun hasn't been a problem. Like I said most of my desire to transfer is academic or prestige related.

Really?..... What's the deal with that?

Ohio-State-sucks-castaway.jpg

Man, it's been a long long time since I recall Ohio State beating USC....

I nitpick you! I said "competitive" for admission.

And yeah, I had a draft saved but I never got around to sending it LOL.

Ivies do actually strive to pluck some of the kids out of community colleges with 4.0 and other achievements for diversity's stake. Not that it makes much of a diff, but it makes for good PR.

v.freeman

Reaction score
If you plan on going to grad school in one form or another, then no, I don't think a transfer would be necessary - USC is good enough name for that. Take some business related classes as electives and then do one of those 1 year masters programs. Off the top of my head, the Duke one sounds decent.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Die in a fire plz.

But really, that's quite an accomplishment... where did you end up going and why did you pick it? I'm curious because I think I'm trying to leave my current school for what probably is all the wrong reasons.

IMO one of the schools was head and shoulders above the rest, it had everything to offer and in the perfect location. hint: I didn't go to Yale.

Anyway, does USC offer a masters co-term program? Some schools allow you to get a masters either within 4 or 5 years along with the BA. For you I would recommend this, in addition to getting good grades. This will easily distinguish yourself as different than the typical trust-fund party douchebag that you are competing against.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes
Blacks aren't allowed into college.
laugh.gif

Who has a legitimate reason for transferring that isn't money anyway?
Many people. You aren't one of them. Don't bother applying; you'll get laughed at.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
ah, another white guy who got dinged from his first choice
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Don't pretend you know me, it makes you sound like a dumbass.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Don't pretend you know me, it makes you sound like a dumbass.

Sorry to presume. So you are African-American. Harvard or Princeton?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads