• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Tonight had an 05 Betts & Scholl Grenache Chronique with a nice roasted leg of lamb.

I think I want to make an actual serious statement about Robert Parker as I grow tired of dicking around with Petrus.

Like wine merchants or negrociants, if you know his point of view, his rankings are very useful...particularly if you agree with his PoV. Yes, some people "chase points" and get caught up in this. The same could be said of people "chasing names," when in fact a certain vintage or bottling is sub-par but has the famous name a novice might fall for. While I agree folks might not put things in perspective, to say wine rankings do not have some merit/use is to miscast the situation through over simplification.

Also, there can be little doubt a great RP score can drive the market on a bottle of wine. It's nice to score some bottles cheap to find them triple in price. Then you can decide whether or not to flip a few bottles and fund other purchases.

Uncle Ernie

Reaction score
Quick questions, how do you think a 1997 Chablis Premier Cru Grenouille will turn out? Is it too old for a white wine? What would you pair it with? I'm thinking grilled or baked red snapper with no sauce.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Should be great, if stored properly definitely not too old. I've had CA chards that old that I loved. Chablis is far more built to last than that.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Should be great, if stored properly definitely not too old. I've had CA chards that old that I loved. Chablis is far more built to last than that.

frown.gif

I have it on good authority, from recent posts in this thread, that CA wine does not age well.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
so yesterday we headed down to Chinatown to pick up a few supplies (and some Pho) with the intention of making our own dumplings. We chose pork and shrimp gyoza from a "asian dumplings" book that has been sitting on our shelf for ages, and damn they were fantastic.
2270673190043813381S500x500Q85.jpg
I was too focused on the enjoyment during the time of consumption to take any pictures. We drank it with some champagne, one half bottle and one full. This was the half bottle. I've heard nothing but positives from this producer so I figure I'd give it a go. This bottle was excellent, especially for the price. We noted that it was well balanced, fresh, focused, and would be very versatile to a number of palates. Recommended.
2425683460043813381S500x500Q85.jpg
And this was the other bottle, a small production grower Champs. The yeasty/biscuity essence was strong with this one, and it was nice with the zippy acidity. But overall, my vote is with the Chiquet.
2438721600043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Nice stuff! We used to do a pork/shrimp recipe from my f-in-law, so it was Chinese style gow gee. I haven't made them since I went low carb
frown.gif
Did you steam, deep fry, etc?

Damn...jonesing for dim sum now!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
^ Nice stuff! We used to do a pork/shrimp recipe from my f-in-law, so it was Chinese style gow gee. I haven't made them since I went low carb
frown.gif

Damn...jonesing for dim sum now!

If you need a lesson on dimsum, I can give you one. I know you're a noob wrt azn cultures. I could even inform you about their women, if you like.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I was too distracted by a hockey game during the time of cooking, so my better half did this. She used a big cast iron pot and added canola oil with a touch of sesame oil, put them in, and then a minute or two later added water and covered the pot to let them cook for a few more minutes. I don't know much about this method, but the results were superb.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm making Keller's butternut squash soup today.

Any wine suggestions?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
If you need a lesson on dimsum, I can give you one. I know you're a noob wrt azn cultures. I could even inform you about their women, if you like.

I would deeply appreciate that. It is this kind help, extended to noobs such as myself, that make this forum the resource that it is.

Originally Posted by gomestar
I was too distracted by a hockey game during the time of cooking, so my better half did this. She used a big cast iron pot and added canola oil with a touch of sesame oil, put them in, and then a minute or two later added water and covered the pot to let them cook for a few more minutes. I don't know much about this method, but the results were superb.

Yum. So Champs with that?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Yum. So Champs with that?
it was champs the whole night. Except for when I decided to kill the half-bottle of Sake
redface.gif
We only needed a tablespoon for the dumpling mix. Interestingly enough, the last two formal tasting menus and wine pairings I've had (the Fat Duck and Le Bernardin), Sake was served both times.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It took a bottle of 2006 Joseph Phelps and a dry aged steak to get me back into wine, and damn I forgot how much I love some good juice. I think tonight it's going to be some Brunello...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads