• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does JCrew Legacy Blazer fit compared to BR

closet metro

Reaction score
I'm interested in the JCrew Ludlow (Legacy, specifically) blazers, but I have to order online so I can't try them on first. I have a couple of recent BR blazers and the 38R fits just about perfectly, I have one that I didn't even need to adjust the sleeves. My typical BR pant size is a 33, so I'm quite slim and not really wide up top. The shoulders are just right (not too padded, no pulling, and fitted), there's just the right amount of waist suppression, and the jacket's not too long.

This forum doesn't seem to like BR stuff much, I like the quality, it's the materials and color selection that I don't find too inspired, so that's why I want to try JCrew. Can someone comment on the fit of a JCrew Ludlow blazer compared to a typical BR blazer. Thanks.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume about the same. Both lines fancy themselves as slimmer mall stores, though they're both not that slim. I have a J Crew Legacy blazer in size 36R, bought about 4 years ago, and it measures about 18.5" across the chest and 17.5" across the shoulders. Length is about 30.5". Measurements done like this

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...easurement.htm

Measure your BR and you can get a rough sense of whether these fit the same.

Of course, you could also just go into a J Crew store and try a blazer on.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ennui
I'd say 18.5" across the chest for a 36R is plenty slim.

To the original poster: what is "quality" if the materials are lacking? Are you talking about the construction? Not sure what else there is.

18.5" across the chest is slim, but I've found that J Crew blazers tend to have really big shoulders. I'm typically a 17" shoulders and 18.5" chest, which I believe is standard for slim fitting jackets nowadays. J Crew blazers tend to have 17.5" across the shoulders at the minimum.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by closet metro
I'm interested in the JCrew Ludlow (Legacy, specifically) blazers, but I have to order online so I can't try them on first. I have a couple of recent BR blazers and the 38R fits just about perfectly, I have one that I didn't even need to adjust the sleeves. My typical BR pant size is a 33, so I'm quite slim and not really wide up top. The shoulders are just right (not too padded, no pulling, and fitted), there's just the right amount of waist suppression, and the jacket's not too long.

This forum doesn't seem to like BR stuff much, I like the quality, it's the materials and color selection that I don't find too inspired, so that's why I want to try JCrew. Can someone comment on the fit of a JCrew Ludlow blazer compared to a typical BR blazer. Thanks.

Email [email protected] and ask him to provide the measurements of the size you are looking at.

He will respond by something like below (I enquired about a size 42 SC):

Points of Measure Solid tweed Ludlow sportcoat
42R

Chest Circumference 1" Below Armhole

Across Shoulder

Sleeve Length From Center Back

Front Body Length From Shoulder Neck Seam

Then compare the measurements with your favorite BR jacket to see how they compare.

Good luck....

closet metro

Reaction score
Yeah, I meant construction. The BR materials are generally good not great, just not a lot of variety in terms of materials and colors.

I'd rather go in-store and try them on, but I'm in Canada and there are no JC stores here plus it seems many of the stores in the US don't carry suiting anyways, whereas almost all BR stores carry suiting.

I just wanted to hear some opinions from people who own both JC and BR suiting/blazer products and their thoughts on fit between the two. Doesn't have to be a comparison on my size specifically, but whether they wear the same jacket size for both JC and BR and if so, what they find are the main differences between the two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads