• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it acceptable to wear a button-down oxford with a tie?

MaxH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrhills0146
Lighten up Francis, he was just poking fun, no big deal.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so serious; I rose to the bait of 'poppycock from Brits'. Mainly I was just saying the British don't find button downs and ties together objectionable at all and even the British wear that style sometimes; it just isn't a 'central' British style.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've moved away from the bd collar/tie look except for casual tweedy suits and odd jackets and blazers.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've moved away from the bd collar/tie look except for casual tweedy suits and odd jackets and blazers.

+1,for jackets it's OK but not for suits.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
+1,for jackets it's OK but not for suits.
I've also moved away from my beloved gunboats with suits. I still wear them, but only with blazers and casual wear. A bit of a transformation has taken place with my dress wear.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is perfectly acceptable.

Cary_Grant_Notorious.png

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PreppyGent
I know its casual, but is wearing a tie with a button-down cloth shirt taboo?

-- Preppy Gent

You are not living up to your user name.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a prep you'd know it's kosher. Go to Ask Andy trad.

Tony11214

Reaction score
In that picture of Cary Grant, the button-down collar is definitely interrupting the visual flow in the lines of what he's wearing overall. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It's also detracting from the face. Even if the collar wasn't out of place, puffed up and pulling at his shirt front by the collar buttons, it still looks bad.

Tony

Miles Gloriosus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony11214
In that picture of Cary Grant, the button-down collar is definitely interrupting the visual flow in the lines of what he's wearing overall. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It's also detracting from the face. Even if the collar wasn't out of place, puffed up and pulling at his shirt front by the collar buttons, it still looks bad.

Tony

With standards like that you'll never find a man.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it with long and bow ties; It's a nice change up.

If you work for Thome Brown I think button down collars are required.
smile.gif

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your friend is probably an ignoramus who calls it a "button collar."

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Your friend is probably an ignoramus who calls it a "button collar."

Bad idea to get into a nomenclature barney on this. In England these are always called 'button down' shirts as the collar is buttoned down.

But in America non dress shirts have become so ubiquitous that 'button down' often is used to denote any dress shirt with buttons down the front, hence the advent of the term 'button collar' to denote this particular style.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's OK, but to be really cool don't button the collars.

Twotone

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It is perfectly acceptable.
Cary_Grant_Notorious.png

He also wore women's underpants. CG wasn't much for the "Rules" of men's dress. That said, I like button-down shirts with suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads