• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
Just got my C&J Hallam on Friday, Then went by my local repair shop to see what they recommend and I got a Collonil Gold Shoe Cream Polish in Neutral and the Diamante Shoe Cream in Dark Brown I first put some of the neutral cream polish on the Hallam, my rebranded Loakes from Herring Shoes got polished as well.. somehow the polish seems to strip some colour off, not significant though... is this normal? Left them for 10 minutes before wiping em with a polish cloth. Next I used the wax polish for my loakes... Dipped an applicator cloth in some water before applying it onto the shoes.... then left it for a few minutes before using the buffing brush and further buffing with a polishing cloth. As for the Hallams, I applied the Collonil Diamant Shoe Cream in Dark Brown with another damp applicator cloth before Buffing it with another shoe polish buffing cloth. Here are the results... somehow I'm a lil dissapointed that they don't seem to have that glazed mirror look like some of the shoes posted here have. Is there something else that I should have done? Attachment 54168 Attachment 54169 Attachment 54170 Also, is it normal for the Herring/Loake semi-brouges to crease that much? or is it an indication of a badly fitting shoe.... it'll eventually be relegated to my rainy day shoe group as I upgrade my collection of 2 (as it stands)

__PG__

Reaction score
I love the Hallam..I often think (dream?) it will be my next shoe purchase.

Leather or Danite sole?

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
If you want a mirror shine you need to spit polish or bull your shoes. There is a technique, and I don't have the patience for it myself... involves a lot of wax, polish, water, polish, wax, polish... ad nauseum.

Personally I apply wax in a circular motion, then brush, then buff. This gets a good enough shine for me.

Can't comment on the products as I've never used them. Saphir seems to get a lot of love on SF. I use C&J's wax which is no doubt relabelled wax from somewhere else. Does a good job.

Creasing is going to happen... just the nature of the beast. Excessive creasing could be due to a half size too big, or poorer quality leather. My Loakes certainly crease more than my C&J's, but are a third of the price.

Hallams.. nice choice... good looking shoe.

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
It's leather soled, PG. I'm not too sure if they produced the F-Fit Hallam in Dainite sole. I doubt so... Unfortunately for me, the only C&J shoes I can possibly fit into are those produced in the F-fit i.e. the Hallam, Westfield, Connaught and Finsbury. That sorta rules out any of the other good lookin C&Js..
frown.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3ff3z8e
Here are the results... somehow I'm a lil dissapointed that they don't seem to have that glazed mirror look like some of the shoes posted here have. Is there something else that I should have done?

Nice shoes 3ff, but one coat of polish isn't going to give them a mirror shine. The mirror shines you see on this site take between 10 and 15 coats of polish.

Dampen cloth, just a little, and apply polish on the shoe (just toe and heel) in small circles until you have an even layer. Then dampen cloth but don't use any polish and strip back the polish you've applied. That is one coat. Repeat this 10 to 15 times (this will take you about an hour). Leave them over night and then buff them the next morning, and voila, mirror shined shoes.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
And you have kids?

You are the epitome of creep

You are too generous

a slapper in front of me at newsagent
Look, its a reasonably polite colloquial term for a woman who was wearing a singlet with acres of cleavage at the front, at least 6 " of bare skin around middle, and delightfully, showing a bit of arse cleavage as she bent over and a tatt - referred to as a whale tail, arse antler or ....

If I do go to the beach it will usually be in winter when I wear boots and a warm coats.
And what would you suggest on beach in winter?

young girls in short skirts?
T'was a bad joke then - the only reason I look at young girls in short skirts is to wonder if they might be cold. (In Taiwan the Betel Nut Girls are something that makes you stare - just because its weird.) http://www.google.com.au/images?clie...ed=0CCkQsAQwAA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betel_nut_beauty

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Look, its a reasonably polite colloquial term for a woman who was wearing a singlet with acres of cleavage at the front, at least 6 " of bare skin around middle, and delightfully, showing a bit of arse cleavage as she bent over and a tatt - referred to as a whale tail, arse antler or ....

Tramp stamp, *** catcher...

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Dunno... own more than one pair of jeans? I never wear suits on the weekend unless I'm going to a wedding or a funeral. While others may disagree, I personally think you can be overdressed. I go to a barbie at a mates place, it's t shirt and shorts all the way.

Well I have more than one pair of jeans, but currently I only have one pair of jeans without any holes in them.

I love wearing 'non-work' suits on the weekend, and personally I find it very liberating as it sets me apart from all the skinny-jeans wearing thick-rimmed glasses wearing long-haired hipsters that now comprise my neighbourhood.

I think I've said it previously that all the old Italian/Greek migrants in my neighbourhood wear suits or jacket/trousers 90% of the time. Having looked at them..and then comparing them to the 21st century hipsters, IMO there is no contest. T-shirt and denim may be the fashion, but IMO denim is a limited fabric as its too hot for summer and often too cold for winter. Denim's main attributes are that its cheap and tough.....which is somewhat ironic given the prices people pay for designer denim.

So denim for me for taking the kids to the park, or washing the car, or doing the gardening...but if I'm going 'out' ...I'll consider other options.

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
If you want a mirror shine you need to spit polish or bull your shoes. There is a technique, and I don't have the patience for it myself... involves a lot of wax, polish, water, polish, wax, polish... ad nauseum.

Personally I apply wax in a circular motion, then brush, then buff. This gets a good enough shine for me.

Can't comment on the products as I've never used them. Saphir seems to get a lot of love on SF. I use C&J's wax which is no doubt relabelled wax from somewhere else. Does a good job.

Creasing is going to happen... just the nature of the beast. Excessive creasing could be due to a half size too big, or poorer quality leather. My Loakes certainly crease more than my C&J's, but are a third of the price.

Hallams.. nice choice... good looking shoe.

Originally Posted by appolyon
Nice shoes 3ff, but one coat of polish isn't going to give them a mirror shine. The mirror shines you see on this site take between 10 and 15 coats of polish.

Dampen cloth, just a little, and apply polish on the shoe (just toe and heel) in small circles until you have an even layer. Then dampen cloth but don't use any polish and strip back the polish you've applied. That is one coat. Repeat this 10 to 15 times (this will take you about an hour). Leave them over night and then buff them the next morning, and voila, mirror shined shoes.

Thanks guys, will attempt the technique over the next few weeks.

I'm also actually considering adding toe caps on the Hallams and not topying them like I did to the Loakes. Was reading the debate on whether to topy or not. One camp says that topying is fine and it's just the Manufacturers scare mongering that's at work, though I'm also considering what the other camp says about the topy adversely affecting the drying of the shoe leading to premature curling....Oh well, I'll have to eventually decide by Wednesday where I'll be fielding them for an X'mas party.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Sounds like you live in a cool neigbourhood.

I live in denin or chinos outside work hours, or if crazy hot I'll get out the shorts (draw the line at jorts)... as fxh said, each to their own.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I'm hoping to convince "the handbrake" to do two weeks in New Orleans /Louisiana next year just staying around NO, in cabins/caravan parks etc, hire a big old Caddy and drive around Lafayette, NO, Baton Rouge, New Iberia ( Robincheaux) drinking in music , cajun, zydeco, funk, jazz, country and poking around looking at stuff like the Tabasco factory and NO post Katrina. Oh and see the Neville Bros again

That sounds like serious fun and one on my bucket list. I's go over in to Miss as well like Clarksdale and the Delta for some blues...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got my C&J Hallam on Friday,

Then went by my local repair shop to see what they recommend and I got a Collonil Gold Shoe Cream Polish in Neutral and the Diamante Shoe Cream in Dark Brown

I first put some of the neutral cream polish on the Hallam, my rebranded Loakes from Herring Shoes got polished as well.. somehow the polish seems to strip some colour off, not significant though... is this normal?

Left them for 10 minutes before wiping em with a polish cloth.

Next I used the wax polish for my loakes... Dipped an applicator cloth in some water before applying it onto the shoes.... then left it for a few minutes before using the buffing brush and further buffing with a polishing cloth.

The left Loakes indicates wrong size... it is creasing onto the toecap ...you should get a Loake fitting in DJs one time...

As for the Hallams, I applied the Collonil Diamant Shoe Cream in Dark Brown with another damp applicator cloth before Buffing it with another shoe polish buffing cloth.

Here are the results... somehow I'm a lil dissapointed that they don't seem to have that glazed mirror look like some of the shoes posted here have. Is there something else that I should have done?
Attachment 54168
Attachment 54169
Attachment 54170

Also, is it normal for the Herring/Loake semi-brouges to crease that much? or is it an indication of a badly fitting shoe.... it'll eventually be relegated to my rainy day shoe group as I upgrade my collection of 2 (as it stands)

You wasted you time just use regular $5 KIwi (not Parade Gloss which has turps) like all the cobblers recommend. Neutral polish also removes antiquing finsishes so be careful...

the other camp says about the topy adversely affecting the drying of the shoe leading to premature curling

All crap! Just Topy them (go to Fred in Sullivans Wynyard Arcade at the back elevators). It saves you slipping dangerously and the unnecessary wear on an AUD600 pair of shoes...IMHO. All my shoes vintage and new (30+ pairs) are Topyied.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
what should i check out in taiwan?

Suitably admonished I humbly reply in all seriousness:

I'm not sure what you mean. Clothes wise its disastrous unless you are an Asian teenage guy who likes cutting edge street wear.

All the sizes are too small for most Westerners. The street scene is very influenced by (1) Japan and (2) Korea - so its very modern but small cut.

I'm only 5'11" and 83kgs but couldn't get anything to fit - not even a T shirt - mind you I'm not a teenager either.

Clothes are cheap though and a huge range of shoes sneakers etc that you won't see outside Taiwan, Japan , Korea.

Electronics, computers etc, aren't really any cheaper than here if you shop around - I've done exhaustive comparisons.NB: I have the advantage of a family member who speaks the lingo too

Except for mobile phones - Taiwanese have to have the latest - so the model from 6 months ago - which might not even be released here - is as cheap as - aud$20 -$30.

Food is wonderful and not equaled in variety and quality anywhere in the world - and cheap. Western food is generally badly executed outside of expensive places. The food is really great - a meal will cost around aud$3 - $5 for superb regional food , each town has a specialty. Also Japanese, Korean etc. Taiwanese will travel to another town at weekend just for the food.

7-11 knockoff chains on each corner open till midnight or later , and you can get beer - Heineken around 50c aud - local beer is good and cheaper. Edit:: A can of beer is now around aud$1.50 for local - aud$2 for Heineken. Naturally in bars etc you will pay not much less thanyouy pay here.

Wine is hard to get and expensive - aud$22 for Jacobs Creek - spirits especially whisky and cognac cheap. and at 7-11.

The New Taiwan Dollar NT is at a low against the aud $1aud = $30 NT

English is official second language and most teenagers can understand it but shy to speak. All street signs in big towns are in English and simplified chinese.

Taiwan is a first world country with elements of second world but little or no third world conditions.

The best Chinese Museum /gallery is the national museum in Taipei as the KMT bought all the treasure over when they fled Mao in 1949. The Red Guards smashed all temples in China when they were supreme and so Taiwan has the only long lasting Temples - mainland temples are all new reproductions.

Taiwanese are friendly open people who like a lot of noise and colour.

The island is beautiful with much mountain areas and other attractions - Formosa mean Beautiful Island in Portuguese. It is about the size of Tasmania but longer and narrower, with the population of Australia . You can take a rail trip virtually around the whole perimeter of the island. Some of it like the Great Ocean Road.

Aside from USA expats, mostly christians, teaching English in the big cities there isn't many whiteys there and in many places you will be a curiosity (Big Noses) and kids will come up and touch you.

It is well set up for tourism - locals only- so you will only get ripped off as a local would - and sometimes less as you are different.

They transitioned from a benign military dictatorship in '92 to democracy and there is still vestiges of authoritarian rule but its a pretty advanced country - Gay marriage legislation has been put to parliament but lay dormant for 5 years - thats the Taiwanese way - not rejected - almost accepted.

Any potatoes or onions you eat will be Australian.

Its a great place to visit - unappreciated - just 1.5 hours from HK.

Want to know more - just ask

edit:: I forgot to add. Dentists are largely USA trained and it costs around aud$5 a visit - if you need work done. Healthcare is similarly cheap - not at hospitals it can be assembly line - there are some old school chinese medicine doctors - stay away - go to a USA trained or younger doctor. - Prescription glasses are modern and about 10X cheaper than here - get a few pair while you are there.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crinklecut
For what? To see how many roundabouts we've constructed?

Wedding - in spring - it was 10c and raining and windy - bah - hotels booked out as it was Powderfinger's last concert ever I think.

I like the Rat.

I been going to espresso for years - since it was Black Swan and was Victoria's nearly best CD shop

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, will attempt the technique over the next few weeks.

I'm also actually considering adding toe caps on the Hallams and not topying them like I did to the Loakes. Was reading the debate on whether to topy or not. One camp says that topying is fine and it's just the Manufacturers scare mongering that's at work, though I'm also considering what the other camp says about the topy adversely affecting the drying of the shoe leading to premature curling....Oh well, I'll have to eventually decide by Wednesday where I'll be fielding them for an X'mas party.

I don't like Spit Polish - and I can do it well - spit is better than water too - if you must .

Say no to spit polish - It looks too shiney

I Topy nearly everything - have for years and years - also has the advantage you don't slip arse over tit on marbled foyers at a business meet.

Re drying out or staying too wet - think about it - contradictory arguments for a start but also shoes have a HUGE opening where you put your foot in and mostly (80% of time?) the shoe is just sitting lonely and forlorn in your cupboard with this huge opening and no foot - that would have more influence on drying or not drying than any rubber thin half sole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads