• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bapelolol
are 3B peacoats like 3B suit jackets? only button top buttons and don't button the bottom button?

I have found it better to leave the bottom button unbuttoned, while seated, as it takes the strain off the threads. If it is cold out, and I will be walking awhile, I re-button it. For me it isn't a fashion statement, but a practical consideration.

TheGoodLife

Reaction score
I was at barneys today looking to buy a pair of Dior raws The salesperson handed me a Dior toggle pea coat to try on. Honestly the nicest best fitting pea coat I have ever seen. Price was outrageous at 1800$. Idk if it was worth that much but I would spend a grand on it. I don't have much experience with pea coats but has neone had experience with Dior pea coats and how the quality is comparable to less expensive coats. In other words am I paying for the name?

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
J Crew 4 pocket, medium. A little boxy for my shape I think. Too big around the waist.
imgp4967o.jpg
imgp5079.jpg
imgp5083.jpg

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
Seems like the consensus on sizing Sterlingwear peacoats is to size down two? Does this apply to the Navigator as well? What size would work for both Authentic and Navigator based on my measurements?

Remember that the Authentic is only a 24 oz wool, and there is only 80% of it; the rest is nylon. The Navigator is 100% wool, but again it is only 24 oz in weight. Compare the 24 oz. to the 32 oz in the vintage issue peacoat. It gets cold in Milwaukee. You need all the warmth you can get.

For sizing, you have three choices: A size 40 probably would be too big if you want a more fitted appearance. Remember the civilian peacoats are cut full to accommodate the larger mid sections of the civilian populace. A size 36 would probably be too tight to allow a sweater to be warn underneath. So, it looks as if you are left with a size 38. It ought to give a fitted appearance and should allow enough room for a sweater.

Originally Posted by SnarlPatrick
J Crew 4 pocket, medium. A little boxy for my shape I think. Too big around the waist. Rather than having a taper at the waist, it baloons out.

If you gained 30 lbs, mostly around the middle, it ought to fit you fine. Rather than having a taper at the waist, it balloons out.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peacoat: See my previous posts in this thread regarding fitting please. The small J.Crew I posted IMO fits perfectly but I can't justifying spending that much on a Chinese made coat. Of the people in this thread that posted fit pics with their Authentics they all appear very boxy. Is this based on how the coat is designed or just what look everyone is going for?

I've also heard that the Navigator is boxier. Any validity to these claims or is it just how everyone is getting them? 38R was what I was thinking but I'm just worried that it will be too boxy for my liking.

Edit: Also if I were to get a vintage instead what would you recommend?

Peacoat

Reaction score
Peacoat: See my previous posts in this thread regarding fitting please. The small J.Crew I posted IMO fits perfectly but I can't justifying spending that much on a Chinese made coat. Of the people in this thread that posted fit pics with their Authentics they all appear very boxy. Is this based on how the coat is designed or just what look everyone is going for?

I've also heard that the Navigator is boxier. Any validity to these claims or is it just how everyone is getting them? 38R was what I was thinking but I'm just worried that it will be too boxy for my liking.

Edit: Also if I were to get a vintage instead what would you recommend?

The civilian versions are boxy, to accomodate a wide range of body shapes, including bigger at the middle than at the chest. For my dollar, including fit, warmth, windproof and water resistance, a vintage peacoat is the way to go. But not everyone feels that way.

By vintage I mean a pre 1980 model. The vintage sizes are pretty much stable through the years, with the WWII peacoat (8 buttons showing) fitting a bit tighter than the subsequent years. I have found the issue peacoats to fit pretty much to size--that is, if one has a 38" chest, by actual measurement, then a size 38 peacoat will give a fairly trim fit and still allow room for a sweater. Or one could go down a size. It would still fit with a sweater underneath, but it would be tighter--too tight for my preference, but others like it that way. Personally, I like a looser fit in outerwear.

Although I say the fit is pretty much to size, there have been some exceptions. That's why I recommend getting a measurement from the seller, as explained in the sizing section of the article. But don't read just the section on sizing; read all of it so you will have a basic understanding of vintage peacoats.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...PEACOAT-DATING

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
Remember that the Authentic is only a 24 oz wool, and there is only 80% of it; the rest is nylon. The Navigator is 100% wool, but again it is only 24 oz in weight. Compare the 24 oz. to the 32 oz in the vintage issue peacoat. It gets cold in Milwaukee. You need all the warmth you can get.

The Authentic is, I quote, "Also our warmest coat, due to the full-fleece lining."

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peacoat if I were to purchase either a ww2 or post-ww2 coat what size would you recommend? Just size based on measurement (ie a 38 for a 38" chest)?

Alexgurv

Reaction score
This question has probably been answered before but I don't feel like looking at 178 pages

I got a pea coat yesterday but I'm worried about the length of it. It goes down to about the bottom of my groin. Someone told me a pea coat should go to about your mid thigh. I assume this would be a jacket. What's the best length for one?

I'm a pretty skinny guy, if it helps im 6'0 and 150 lbs.

bombers

Reaction score
I think a good fitting pea coat should just cover your butt; so that's about mid-thigh.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
The Authentic is, I quote, "Also our warmest coat, due to the full-fleece lining."
I would ask, the warmest compared to what? What I was comparing the 24oz. Melton wool to was the heavy 32oz. Kersey wool. I think The Navigator may be the closest to the current issue coat, but I'm not sure. I have no expertise with the civilian peacoats. The current issue Sterlingwear is a warm coat, but the loose weave of the Melton somewhat degrades its wind and water resistance.

Peacoat if I were to purchase either a ww2 or post-ww2 coat what size would you recommend? Just size based on measurement (ie a 38 for a 38" chest)?
For a WWII, I don't think I would recommend a size down as it is already a well fitted garment. May not be able to comfortably wear a sweater under it. If you want a tightly fitted look, then you might go down a size in the post WWII peacoats. Might still have enough room for a sweater, although it likely would be a fairly tight fit. If it were a tight fit, I think the peacoat would, over time, stretch a bit to accommodate the sweater. But then maybe not; I have never tried it.

I always recommend getting the measurement from the seller and following my guide to a proper fit as explained in the sizing section. For me, I don't like going down a size; I just don't have enough room to comfortably (for me) fit a sweater under the coat. But remember, I don't like a tight fit in my outerwear garments. And whenever the temp is much below freezing, I need a sweater under the peacoat. A sweater will fill in the extra space between the body and coat liner, provide insulation and keep the cold air from circulating under the coat.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexgurv
This question has probably been answered before but I don't feel like looking at 178 pages

I got a pea coat yesterday but I'm worried about the length of it. It goes down to about the bottom of my groin. Someone told me a pea coat should go to about your mid thigh. I assume this would be a jacket. What's the best length for one?

I'm a pretty skinny guy, if it helps im 6'0 and 150 lbs.

If it is just a little below your butt, it will also cover your (for lack of a more civil term) "groin." I think of it as ending at or just below the butt (maybe an inch). If that is how yours fits, then you are OK. But realistically, many of these coats are peacoat inspired fashion garments, and not strictly peacoats. So wear it the way your want.

Alexgurv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
If it is just a little below your butt, it will also cover your (for lack of a more civil term) "groin." I think of it as ending at or just below the butt (maybe an inch). If that is how yours fits, then you are OK. But realistically, many of these coats are peacoat inspired fashion garments, and not strictly peacoats. So wear it the way your want.

yeah its probably halfway down ****** (for lack of a better term). I'll check out a bigger size, I'm just afraid it will look like its hanging on a hanger if I do that though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads