• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Check the inside of the boots, leather grains should be the same

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
How did the fit compare?
Originally Posted by Zaarin
The fit is very good. Even with wool socks, it's still comfortable.
Would you go so far as to say that the fit of the other [waterproof, lugged sole] Katahdin is virtually the same as the model you ordered? If that's the case, I'll try on the model they still carry in store. I asked to try on the waterproof model but the SA I spoke with indicated that the two boots were significantly different. I'm only about 1.5 hrs from Freeport, I may have to get back up there before the Xmas madness. Thanks for your feedback.

changy

Reaction score
Would you go so far as to say that the fit of the other [waterproof, lugged sole] Katahdin is virtually the same as the model you ordered? If that's the case, I'll try on the model they still carry in store. I asked to try on the waterproof model but the SA I spoke with indicated that the two boots were significantly different.

I'm only about 1.5 hrs from Freeport, I may have to get back up there before the Xmas madness. Thanks for your feedback.

An earlier post mentioned that they dont carry these at the store anymore? Double check

Zaarin

Reaction score
Would you go so far as to say that the fit of the other [waterproof, lugged sole] Katahdin is virtually the same as the model you ordered? If that's the case, I'll try on the model they still carry in store. I asked to try on the waterproof model but the SA I spoke with indicated that the two boots were significantly different.

I'm only about 1.5 hrs from Freeport, I may have to get back up there before the Xmas madness. Thanks for your feedback.

They were very very similar. The water proof lugged has a nice padding for the heel which the Katahdin doesn't. It also felt heavier and of course the huge soles. I went with the same size and felt it was very similar. I'd probably go for the same size. Plus if you're ordering online, the return policy is great.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zaarin
They were very very similar. The water proof lugged has a nice padding for the heel which the Katahdin doesn't. It also felt heavier and of course the huge soles. I went with the same size and felt it was very similar. I'd probably go for the same size. Plus if you're ordering online, the return policy is great.

Just what I needed to know. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Phil.H

Reaction score
Oh, what the hell. Just got off the phone with LL Bean. The person I got told me the 10.5s probably won't be in stock until Spring. I asked if she was sure about that and she said yes.
ffffuuuu.gif

phillyluv267

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phil.H
Oh, what the hell. Just got off the phone with LL Bean. The person I got told me the 10.5s probably won't be in stock until Spring. I asked if she was sure about that and she said yes.
ffffuuuu.gif

I feel your pain. I went to the LL Bean store in my area tried on the pair that was similar to the Katahdin's and thought a 10.5 wide would fit. Got the 10.5 wide in the mail and they were def. big. Tried returning for a 10.5 reg. and all sold out. That was over 2 months ago. I decided to try and go with a size 10. Got them yesterday and the fit is great. I'm 10.5-11 in everything else.

Phil.H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phillyluv267
I feel your pain. I went to the LL Bean store in my area tried on the pair that was similar to the Katahdin's and thought a 10.5 wide would fit. Got the 10.5 wide in the mail and they were def. big. Tried returning for a 10.5 reg. and all sold out. That was over 2 months ago. I decided to try and go with a size 10. Got them yesterday and the fit is great. I'm 10.5-11 in everything else.

Didn't want to give into that hope and find that the 10 was too short but... I think I'll try what you did. It'll sure beat having to wear illfitting boots all winter.. which is what I planned on doing (thick sock fit is okay but I am not a thick sock fan).

phillyluv267

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phil.H
Didn't want to give into that hope and find that the 10 was too short but... I think I'll try what you did. It'll sure beat having to wear illfitting boots all winter.. which is what I planned on doing (thick sock fit is okay but I am not a thick sock fan).

Honestly, I would give it a try. What's the worst that could happen. Their return policy is very good. If a 10 wouldn't fit, you could always go with a 10 wide. I felt that when I tried on the 10.5 wide, I had too much slippage on the sides and in my heel. I am not a thick sock fan as well. I can't justify paying 12.00-20.00 on hiking socks. This is coming from someone who spends 300 on denim. lol. Irony. Good luck.

zoso1699

Reaction score
I got my Katahdin boots a few days ago. I put sno seal on them (2 coats) and they look and feel terrific. I really like the darker color brown.

Anyway, I noticed the left boot has a low squeak to it when I lift the heel while walking, very close to the arch. Not sure if this is due to the shoes being new and needing to break in still or maybe a defect? I read online that spraying WD40 in the shoe, removing the sole, could fix the problem.

Has anyone else noticed a similar issue or could provide some insight? Thanks for your help.

maybes

Reaction score
Has anyone tried both the Chippewa GQ and Katahdin? I'd like to know the opinion of somebody who has worn both, as the silhouette might be different in real life.

graciefighter

Reaction score
Did anyone else have a problem with these boots' soles sticking out in front as if they used a larger sized sole when making the boots?
In other words, they used say a size 9 sole to put on a size 8.5 boots.
When I got them, that was the first thing I noticed and I couldn't get past it so I returned them.
I'm wondering if it's due to me having ordered the wide width and I'm thinking that Chippewa uses the longer sole to fit on the shorter wide widths.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
The 20% coupon seems to have expired. LLBFRIENDS10 will get you 10% off until the end of this month.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
I'm teetering on the fence about these. I'm a skinny guy that wears skinny jeans and am afraid these will make my feet look monstrous (Yes, I know the skinny jeans problem has been addressed but my concerns remain).
My Clarks DBs are slowly falling apart and I'm looking for something a bit more robust to replace them. I usually wear them with levis 511s or 510s rolled up, has anyone successfully pulled off this look with the Katahdins? How much chunkier is the profile of the Katahdins compared to DBs?
Thanks for everyone's past and future contributions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads