• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a shirt look good with one or two buttons unbuttoned?

skogmantore

Reaction score
I sometimes see people wearing a shirt with one or even two buttons unbuttoned, and still look dressy and elegant. Often when I try it, the collar sort of collapses, and the unbuttoned portion of the shirt folds together somehow.

Is it just a matter of choosing a stiffer shirt fabric or what else should I try?

sartorial_marxist

Reaction score
I guess its how your shirt fits as well. It must not be too tight at the shoulders which will cause pulling at the collar which results in too much exposure. Also, it must be slim and trim enough at the chest so it doesn't make you look like you are supposed to button it.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High stance collars, often seen with two buttons, are good for this.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
High stance collars, often seen with two buttons, are good for this.

Louche- off topic.

Did you ever go to Field English Custom Tailor and if so what was the result?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skogmantore
I sometimes see people wearing a shirt with one or even two buttons unbuttoned, and still look dressy and elegant. Often when I try it, the collar sort of collapses, and the unbuttoned portion of the shirt folds together somehow.

Is it just a matter of choosing a stiffer shirt fabric or what else should I try?

Stiff fused collars help that. Also buying more expensive shirts does too. My MTM shirts from moderntailor.com are all pretty good so far even with the soft collar option.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Some fabrics are better for that look. One thing that works well is to buy some spray starch and spray the shirt above the second-to-top button. then iron and it stays stiff

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about an ascot (aka day cravat) for spiffing up a shirt with an open collar?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well made shirts have well made collars. Poorly made shirts dont. Also, proper laundering and care helps.

AZTEC

Reaction score
The right fused collar can help form a nice curve..but can also look cheap & nasty, depending on shirt.

AZTEC

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skogmantore
I sometimes see people wearing a shirt with one or even two buttons unbuttoned, and still look dressy and elegant.
It may be a look you like ... but does not qualify as dressy or elegant.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clothes should look like you are coming out of them.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Clothes should look like you are coming out of them.
AZTEC's avatar appears to be taking your point quite literally.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
It may be a look you like ... but does not qualify as dressy or elegant.

I really have a hard time with this look. On the extremely rare occasions I wear an open necked shirt I've never felt comfortable. I tend to either go with a shirt and tie or dress down to a nice polo shirt. The open collar is probably somewhere in between on the dressiness scale. I have to say that TC (Houston) on the WAYWRN thread seems to pull this off with ease looking dressy and/or elegant, but I can't seem go there without feeling/looking sloppy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics