• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Petrus1

Reaction score
OK, I made a slight error. These 2nd wines sometime change names. The 2nd is actually called Reserve de la Comtesse and they even have a 3rd called Pauillac de Pichon Lalande.
These 2nd wines are usually made from barrels that the owner does not think are perfect enough to bottle under the chateau name or from barrels of wine made from the grapes from younger vines.
BTW, try a Warre's Warrior or a Taylor's Tawny port. Yes, they are naturally sweet like a Tokay or sauternes. Incidently, anything labelled port, sherry, tokay etc in the US is not the genuine article and is just something from NY or California or even Ohio labelled this way.It could be made from a Concord grape(not even a wine grape) and have the label Port put on the bottle. This has been challanged by the authentic growers in US courts but the court here ruled that because they've done it so long that they could still keep doing it! No other country permits this under international law having to do with product labeling. It would be like some grower in the French Midi making wine and then labeling it Napa Valley.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
OK, I made a slight error. These 2nd wines sometime change names. The 2nd is actually called Reserve de la Comtesse and they even have a 3rd called Pauillac de Pichon Lalande. These 2nd wines are usually made from barrels that the owner does not think are perfect enough to bottle under the chateau name or from barrels of wine made from the grapes from younger vines. BTW, try a Warre's Warrior or a Taylor's Tawny port. Yes, they are naturally sweet like a Tokay or sauternes. Incidently, anything labelled port, sherry, tokay etc in the US is not the genuine article and is just something from NY or California or even Ohio labelled this way.It could be made from a Concord grape(not even a wine grape) and have the label Port put on the bottle. This has been challanged by the authentic growers in US courts but the court here ruled that because they've done it so long that they could still keep doing it! No other country permits this under international law having to do with product labeling. It would be like some grower in the French Midi making wine and then labeling it Napa Valley.
What does "naturally sweet" mean? Please help a novice who thinks all wines are "naturally sweet," some are just fermented to the point of dryness and some are not. Also, ports are fortified whereas the other wines you list in comparison are not.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Because I know that the Left Coast will produce drinkable wines pretty much no matte what? And I can fine tune things by winemaker style?

You've mentioned in several recent posts that you are a wine novice. Is that really the case?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
You've mentioned in several recent posts that you are a wine novice. Is that really the case?
Compared to Petrus, I have yet to taste anything other than cheap box wine. I am just letting him know I appreciate his dismissal of everyone in the wine world but himself and Hugh Johnson.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Compared to Petrus, I have yet to taste anything other than cheap box wine. I am just letting him know I appreciate his dismissal of everyone in the wine world but himself and Hugh Johnson.

I am greatly enjoying this exchange between Petrus and you.
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
I am greatly enjoying this exchange between Petrus and you.
laugh.gif

So am I.
smile.gif

He reminds me of someone...

eztantz

Reaction score
For the fine wine drinkers I offer you this!

Petrus1

Reaction score

I only mentioned Johnson because he's the leading wine writer in the world not because he's the only good one. Read his Vintage-The History of Wine or get the companion series on video.I have nothing against Parker but he really can't write or does he have the background of Hugh who began writing while he was at Cambridge.
The number rating system that the Wine Spectator and RP began is very misleading. A novice, which is what most people are, may be led to believe that a wine rated 95 may be very superior to one rated 88 when in fact this is complete nonsense. In fact, knowing that a wine is rated 95 if you're the sort who follows this nonsense may actually make you believe the wine is better than it actually is.

Petrus1

Reaction score
What does "naturally sweet" mean? Please help a novice who thinks all wines are "naturally sweet," some are just fermented to the point of dryness and some are not.

Also, ports are fortified whereas the other wines you list in comparison are not.

I meant the natural sweetness from the grape sugar whether the wine is made like port where the fermentation is stopped by adding high proof brandy or where the suger is so high that at a certain level of alcohol the yeasts die and the wine is still left very sweet, like a sauternes. Many people erroneously equate sweetness with a lessor wine but that's just a matter of the current fashion for dry wines. When the wines of Bordeaux were classifed in 1855 for an exhibition in Paris, Ch. d"Yquem (a very sweet wine) ranked higher than Lafite, Latour etc It was listed as a Grand Premier Cru while the top reds were just Premier Crus. btw, that so called "classification" was made up by shippers using the prices that different wines sold for over the previous 100 years and many areas like Pomerol and St Emilion were not even included which means that top wines like Ausone, Cheval Blanc and Petrus etc weren't even on the list.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Prices on '07 Bord are insulting.

I picked up a *&$@load of cheap white burg today.

Gome, braised beef Italian style tonight with two EYE-TIE wines you would have loved. Cost nothing too.

Matt, they don't all suck.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I only mentioned Johnson because he's the leading wine writer in the world not because he's the only good one. Read his Vintage-The History of Wine or get the companion series on video.I have nothing against Parker but he really can't write or does he have the background of Hugh who began writing while he was at Cambridge.
The number rating system that the Wine Spectator and RP began is very misleading. A novice, which is what most people are, may be led to believe that a wine rated 95 may be very superior to one rated 88 when in fact this is complete nonsense. In fact, knowing that a wine is rated 95 if you're the sort who follows this nonsense may actually make you believe the wine is better than it actually is.

I meant the natural sweetness from the grape sugar whether the wine is made like port where the fermentation is stopped by adding high proof brandy or where the suger is so high that at a certain level of alcohol the yeasts die and the wine is still left very sweet, like a sauternes. Many people erroneously equate sweetness with a lessor wine but that's just a matter of the current fashion for dry wines. When the wines of Bordeaux were classifed in 1855 for an exhibition in Paris, Ch. d"Yquem (a very sweet wine) ranked higher than Lafite, Latour etc It was listed as a Grand Premier Cru while the top reds were just Premier Crus. btw, that so called "classification" was made up by shippers using the prices that different wines sold for over the previous 100 years and many areas like Pomerol and St Emilion were not even included which means that top wines like Ausone, Cheval Blanc and Petrus etc weren't even on the list.

Petrus, again, I want to thank you for sharing your wisdom with me. I really feel like I am benefiting from what you are telling me.

Would the adding of high proof brandy be along the same lines of what I said when I mentioned ports were "fortified"? Or have I been led astray on this thought? I mean, all these numbers and such.
confused.gif

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Apparently it's the new reality and we're all supposed to get over it. Take a look at the '09 futures prices - it's like a root canal and prostate exam rolled into one... $350 for Leoville L-C or Cos.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
The number rating system that the Wine Spectator and RP began is very misleading. A novice, which is what most people are, may be led to believe that a wine rated 95 may be very superior to one rated 88 when in fact this is complete nonsense.
I agree with this statement, but not with your general delivery of posts in this thread. Frankly they sound very pretentious and that is not what the wine thread is about
frown.gif
Compared to Petrus, I have yet to taste anything other than cheap box wine.
Since you mentioned boxes, my boss is a bourbon person. This means he will constantly send me pictures of "the Bandit" sippy-cup style wine that he buys from his train back home in the Jerz
ffffuuuu.gif
But today he sent me a picture of "the Bandit" wine from his office. With pretzels. As I was on line for something else in Chinatown, so evidently I missed something important
ffffuuuu.gif
I blame the bandit. It was the "California Cabernet Sauvignon" this time.
I haven't priced many out, but this is makes me sad.
frown.gif
I picked up a *&$@load of cheap white burg today.
nm, happy again
smile.gif
Gome, braised beef Italian style tonight with two EYE-TIE wines you would have loved. Cost nothing too.
Moar happy, both in the braised beef and in the EYE-TIE selection
smile.gif
I will inquire about deets later.
Matt, they don't all suck.
which reminds me, I've bee meaning to bring some Guado al Tasso Vermentino for you. And some stuff from the Finger Lakes. But the damn store closes before I even have a chance. It's not French, and certainly doesn't suck.
Originally Posted by tattersall
Apparently it's the new reality and we're all supposed to get over it. Take a look at the '09 futures prices - it's like a root canal and prostate exam rolled into one... $350 for Leoville L-C or Cos.
But that's because 2009 is yet another vintage of the century...

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Since you mentioned boxes, my boss is a bourbon person. This means he will constantly send me pictures of "the Bandit" sippy-cup style wine that he buys from his train back home in the Jerz
ffffuuuu.gif

He needs to get some Four Loko before it's gone.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
He needs to get some Four Loko before it's gone.

I need his office fridge saved for the growlers he stores and then shares.

Forgot to mention, two Champs for tonight. And a Sake. With homemade dumplings that were brilliant
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads