• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter_

Reaction score
It looks like the recent color change in ravello is also apparent in whiskey. This new shoe from TSM is listed as whiskey but looks more like ravello.

24061.jpg

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dredey
I wear a 9 in the Indys they fir great and I love them. But I fit into a 9.5 with the Red Wing GT. Does this make sense? I have a narrow foot too. The GT in size 9 squeezes the 3 toes so much they can't wiggle. The 9.5 GT there's room. But the Aldens size 9 is perfect and feels great. I never wore a size 9 in I don't know how long. Does this sound right? Chucks are 9.5, Sneakers are 10, Sperry's are 10, Brooks Brothers boats 9.5, Mephisto Battler 10. Alden Indy 9??

if it feels right, don't worry about it

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
group shot of my shell collection Alden Cigar Shell Chukka (the newcomer) not quite vintage but old AE Hinsdale in a well patina'd burgundy vintage Florsheim burgundy which has stayed dark, for now anyways I would really like to add a Ravello boot, that is really all the colors I desire I think.
IMG_0178.jpg

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
^^ I doubt it, you may need to wear them every three days (or as long as it takes for them to dry completely inside) instead of the standard every other day. Some leathers (such as kudu) are nearly indestructible so they will last a couple of years minimum. Also while shell cordovan is very expensive, it seems like it can handle rough wear with protection such as sno-seal from what I've been reading on Crane's thread about the Wolverine boots. The protection will darken the boots it seems but it may be worth considering.

I don't think that anyone is seriously recommending that you use sno-seal on an Alden shell boot - period. If they are, don't listen.

I have been wearing Alden shells in Chicago for years now. That doesn't mean that I wear them when I'm digging out a car or sledding in the park with the kids (there I want/need waterproof and insulated) but they are fine in most every other situation that I encounter.

One additional benefit of shell - they appear impervious to salt. I still clean off my shoes after every wearing but the white salt stains that appear on leather shoes don't appear on shell (and you fellow Chicagoans know what I mean - you step off a curb and into a six inch salt, snow, ice, **** mix).

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheesecake
Anywhere I can find a plain toe boot in cigar or #8 shell with commando soles?

It's not a plain toe boot, but I just picked up a cap toe boot in cigar on the commando sole from Alden DC. Sweet.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had to vent. The last 2 pair of Aldens I purchased had defects. This one is minor but irritating for a $450 shoe (these are black calf pebble grain, not the #8 cordos). If you look at the stitching, there is a line of holes caused by obviously corrected mis-stitching. I can't believe the QC person let this through! Uploaded with ImageShack.us Reminds me of a defect we saw earlier this year.....

quantrell

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my calf aberdeen NST's. May sound obvious, but thicker socks and pulling the laces tighter especially towards the toe makes them wearable. Of course the extra "work" means I don't wear them as often as I would otherwise.

dredey

Reaction score
How tight should the Alden Indys fit? Should there be a little squeeze to your foot? I went to Shoemart today and got a measurement. My foot measured size 10. The salesman asked what size shoe I wear and I told him size 10. He brought out a 10 Indy and it was too big. Than he brought a 9.5 Indy and it felt better. I have a 9 that I already bought here at home that felt right at first but feels a little tight now. Not unbearable but definately tight. Should I go to a 9.5? I have the Chromexcel Brown. I mentioned in an earlier post I wear a 10 in Sperry and sneakers. The 9.5 Alden longwings and other styles felt correct and 10 felt large in those as well. How much if any will m Indys stretch or should the 9.5 be a better choice. To tell you the truth the salesman at Shoemart was no big help at all. I'm still not sure what I should do. The tight but comfortable pair of 9 or the straight comfortable size 9.5. I know there are tons of Alden guys here that know sizing well. One thing I do know for sure is that a 9.5 in the Alden regular shoes ie wingtips fits just right. Since I tried on some a Shoemart today. Long winded I know but confused is all. I can send back the 9 and get 9.5 no problem.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dredey
How tight should the Alden Indys fit? Should there be a little squeeze to your foot? I went to Shoemart today and got a measurement. My foot measured size 10. The salesman asked what size shoe I wear and I told him size 10. He brought out a 10 Indy and it was too big. Than he brought a 9.5 Indy and it felt better. I have a 9 that I already bought here at home that felt right at first but feels a little tight now. Not unbearable but definately tight. Should I go to a 9.5? I have the Chromexcel Brown. I mentioned in an earlier post I wear a 10 in Sperry and sneakers. The 9.5 Alden longwings and other styles felt correct and 10 felt large in those as well. How much if any will m Indys stretch or should the 9.5 be a better choice. To tell you the truth the salesman at Shoemart was no big help at all. I'm still not sure what I should do. The tight but comfortable pair of 9 or the straight comfortable size 9.5. I know there are tons of Alden guys here that know sizing well. One thing I do know for sure is that a 9.5 in the Alden regular shoes ie wingtips fits just right. Since I tried on some a Shoemart today. Long winded I know but confused is all. I can send back the 9 and get 9.5 no problem.

9.5 sounds right for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads