• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lots of wrinkles at inner elbow=sleeve width too small?

jsallen10

Reaction score
I've been using moderntailor and I ask for high armholes. However, they require that the drop from armhole to arm/sleeve width be at least 2 in. This makes the width at my elbows pretty narrow leading to lots of creasing. Is this a sacrifice of getting high armholes, or am I just over doing it (the armhole seems perfect for me)?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is possible to have both a high armhole and a roomy sleeve.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the creases are more likely due to the fineness of the fabric. Dial down to something of a blend and I bet the creases don't exist. Nicer materials are more prone in my experience.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it may very well be possible. I've had that on my latest bunch of MTM shirts. They made the forearm measurement too small and when I bent my arm there weren't enough room for all of my bulging muscle (yeah, right). The shirt ended up having a lot of wrinkles in the elbow area.

Miles Gloriosus

Reaction score
Arm stacks have more to do with not ironing your shirt than anything. I've gotten them on narrow and wide sleeves alike.
This was a horrible idea for a thread.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miles Gloriosus
Arm stacks have more to do with not ironing your shirt than anything. I've gotten them on narrow and wide sleeves alike.
This was a horrible idea for a thread.

Not sure this is true. I'm wearing a new MT shirt right now. I ironed it first, but I'm still getting some wrinkling on the inside of the elbow.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same. I always iron my shirts and still get a lot of bunching from my MT shirts.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Hmm... So can anyone suggest a fix for this? Is it an unavoidable consequence of a slimfit shirt with high arm holes?

MTLGuy

Reaction score
So, I'm wearing another MT shirt right now (white twill). This is from my third order. I think I have the fit pretty much perfect now but I am still getting a lot of wrinkling at the elbow.

I increased the half-bicep measurement a bit for this order but that doesn't seem to have done anything to reduce the wrinkling.

Anyone have a similar experience with MT shirts (and find a fix)?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A shirt, jacket, suit, pant or shoe of itself may not necessarily be the immediate culprit.
How one moves his body during the course of a day, either by need or habit,
will play as big a part in creasing or wrinkling as the fabrics and sizing may.
Proper maintenance and appropriate wearing can also play a role in minimizing wrinkles.
I see men in restuarants all the time who toe tap under the table or tuck their feet under the chair, causing unnecceasry wrinkling on their shoe arches. These same men may later wonder how that wrinkling occured and blame the shoe, unaware that it was their own behaviour that caused the problem.

You may want to consider trying non-iron shirts. ETON and Brooks Brothers (Oxford Cloth) are two such companies that I'll swear by. When the jacket is off, these shirts easily handle repeated sitting, standing, twisting around in an office chair during a days wearing.
If you are into body building, an OTR shirt of any make may not perform the way you need it to, in which case you may have to get into MTM or Bespoke.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
A shirt, jacket, suit, pant or shoe of itself may not necessarily be the immediate culprit.
How one moves his body during the course of a day, either by need or habit,
will play as big a part in creasing or wrinkling as the fabrics and sizing may.
Proper maintenance and appropriate wearing can also play a role in minimizing wrinkles.
I see men in restuarants all the time who toe tap under the table or tuck their feet under the chair, causing unnecceasry wrinkling on their shoe arches. These same men may later wonder how that wrinkling occured and blame the shoe, unaware that it was their own behaviour that caused the problem.

You may want to consider trying non-iron shirts. ETON and Brooks Brothers (Oxford Cloth) are two such companies that I'll swear by. When the jacket is off, these shirts easily handle repeated sitting, standing, twisting around in an office chair during a days wearing.
If you are into body building, an OTR shirt of any make may not perform the way you need it to, in which case you may have to get into MTM or Bespoke.

I dunno... I think I move my body in a pretty normal way.

The shirts that I am talking about are from moderntailor.

arirang

Reaction score
Is it the same deal for suit jackets? I've noticed that some slimmer fitting jackets have smaller sleeves, leading to creasing around the elbow. All I can do is try to steam it out after each wear, but it just makes me more inclined to wear things that are less fitted leading to nice, straight, clean lines.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads