• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge: MC does SW&D - YOUR WINNER ANNOUNCED

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
stacking = "anti"-proportional whut
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
So explain...I don't think I was unclear when i said I don't get it...to me proportion="it fits" If it stacks, its too long...hence, not fitting..."anti-"proportional.
To back up NYR, in MC world, this looks stupid:
00007f.jpg
To many MCers, this is not "visual interest," this is "buy shorter pants" or "get your dammed pants hemmed." I am likewise not a fan of jeans stacking. I think it looks like your dammed pants are too long.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
laugh.gif
fair enough. That jacket is ugly, which is unfortunately why I love it. Got it in a thrift store back in 93 - it called to me with songs of forests and nymphs, and I couldn't resist.

I dress casually at least half the week, so I'll post those fits here to get some pointers and/or lashings.

This jacket is the SW&D version of an FU plaid. I enjoy it immensely.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
see margiela

for work? obviously not

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For real.

Also, I think stacking on pants can look cool depending on the fabric-weight and taper.
redface.gif

I think some of the stacking that's going on in SW&D looks pretty good. However, it inevitably makes your legs appear shorter, which is not something I desire.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G0079
Stacks are just like your cuff rolls. They add an interesting visual element to the lower part of the fit, and they aren't necessarily just an unintended byproduct of ill-fitting jeans.

I got it...I just don't think its that interesting, nor ugly, it just is.

Originally Posted by jarude
lollin at all the dad jeans; aeglus gets the vote. NYR could be a steezy dude despite his allegiance to a ****** hockey team if he changed a few things. i think he's a good example of things other than clothing determining the "quality" (for lack of a better word) of ones style.

Don't forget the ****** football team I support.

Even "fit" is subjective. It's "too long" in the sense that it doesn't end at his ankles. It's not "too long" in the sense that it's not longer than it is desired to achieve this look. As stated, stacking is an element to add visual interest, kind of like a pocketsquare. (Trying to speak a language you can understand, here).

Gotcha.

Originally Posted by jet
saying stacks are unintended is pretty dumb

nyr confuses me, he is neither mc or sw

No one is saying the stacks were unintended...just not sure how "proportion" plays into it. Lots of SW&D guys are raving over Aeg's fit, and don't get me wrong, its nice, but then you go on about how there's no proportion in many of the other fits, then love a fit that has "something interesting" going on at the bottom of it. For MC, cuffs add weight and help trousers settle a bit, as well as provide a break between the trouser and shoe.

Anyway, I never did "fit in".

Originally Posted by luftvier
To back up NYR, in MC world, this looks stupid:
00007f.jpg

To many MCers, this is not "visual interest," this is "buy shorter pants" or "get your dammed pants hemmed."

I am likewise not a fan of jeans stacking. I think it looks like your dammed pants are too long.

Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
You really can't compare stacking on pants to stacking on jeans, dude.

For real.

Also, I think stacking on pants can look cool depending on the fabric-weight and taper.
redface.gif

Like a thick pair of Mabi's maybe...but still, I think most of us prefer a cleaner look.

Again, don't dislike it, just trying to understand the basic elements of fit from SW&D perspective.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
You really can't compare stacking on pants to stacking on jeans, dude.

Some of them will never understand this.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
nyr, another poster said the stacks were unintended so my response was to him in the first part of my post

G0079

Reaction score
Maybe I'm using too many double negatives, but I didn't say they were unintentional.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I understand. I think my MC fits are equally boring—I just like blue, brown and gray very much; always have. I like it simple (see the NOBD logo). But I sometimes do other colours and I try to always keep my eyes and ears open for new ideas.
Your fit was decent and better than a lot that gets posted on this side of the board- except the jeans looked a bit lacking. I would also assume you're a bit older and that matters when judging. If you had SW&D cred you would be getting a lot more compliments.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier

To many MCers, this is not "visual interest," this is "buy shorter pants" or "get your dammed pants hemmed."

I am likewise not a fan of jeans stacking. I think it looks like your dammed pants are too long.

I might also mention that too many MCers wear their pants too short in a vain attempt at hewing to the "rules" and end up looking like stumpy the dumpy. It really depends the build and the overall look. Even Flusser (sp?) suggests a heavy break at times and he is about as old school rules as you can get.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
baron has the best old dude break on his jeans, everyone should study that

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads