• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Chicago

Reaction score
Finally settled on a 40R Authentic from Sterlingwear. It arrived today and now I'm hoping for a cold snap. The fit is nearly perfect*. It is cut pretty close, but with room for sweater underneath without being tight when buttoned. I was worried about how to size down, but I believe I nailed it. I might have been able to get away with a 38R, but I think it would have been too tight and the time I spend at the gym wouldn't have helped. The only negative I see is the shoulders being a touch too big - but it is a winter coat so I'm not going to complain that much. Maybe after a while if they still bother me I'll take the coat to a tailor, but for now, I'm just psyched to have a good winter coat at my disposal again.

Will post reviews down the road after spending some time in the coat.

* Incidentally for anyone wanting to compare sizing in the future my measurements are below. I should stress that the fit is not the very slim look a lot of people here appear to be shooting for. I do think it is a proper slim fit for a coat that will certainly have layers underneath it once Chicago winter weather hits for real.

Chest 40/41
Sleeve 18/19
Body 25/26
Waist 34
Hip 40/41
5'10"
170-175 lbs

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
Measurements Height: 5'9" Chest: 33" Sleeves: 33" Ideal Length (covering my bum): 31-32 inches I have a question for everyone. In consideration of my measurements above, which would be more likely to fit me: a Sterlingwear Classic peacaoat, or a peacoat from the VintageTrends website? When I asked the customer service from Sterlingwear about the fit of the Classic peacoat, they said: "The reason the size chart only covers the Authentic and Navigator is because these two styles are fitted and require the chest size. The Classic and Mariner are more of a commercial cut, which means if you normally take a size 40 than you would order a size 40. The only measurements that are the same on all our coats is the sleeve length, short 17 inches, regular 18 inches, long 19 inches and extra long 20 inches." And, for measuring, "When measuring your sleeve length you need to measure from the bottom seam of the armhole down the inside seam to the first bend of the thumb. For the length of the coat, you would measure from the bottom seam of the collar straight down the middle of the back." Now, the only peacoat in a 34 chest size on VintageTrends has sleeves that are too short (32 inches - my sleeve length is about 33 inches); should I see if the sleeves can be lengthened by a tailor? And the various number of size 36 peacoats on V.T. all are too long in the sleeves (35 inches), but can I have the sleeves shortened?

bombers

Reaction score
You can definitely shorten the sleeves but will you like the longer length?

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
Do you mean the overall length of the peacoat on my body? It may be a little too long, I'm not sure. Another thing I thought of is, would the alteration of shortening the sleeves be fairly expensive because of the thickness of the material?
Originally Posted by bombers
You can definitely shorten the sleeves but will you like the longer length?

twylo

Reaction score
Here is mine.. Superdry, get a few compliments on it. Thoughts?

IMG_20101118_191932.jpg

And I bought the SF hat before playoffs because I thought it looked good, and I realize I now look like a bandwaggoner
plain.gif

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Looks superb.

My 38R '70s issue peacoat arrived today from VintageTrends.com. The 32 oz Kersey wool feels great, and the fit IS trim (the armholes are high), but what is bugging me is the padding on the shoulders. I'm on the fence on whether to keep or not. I feel that on coats, if the shoulders are padded, they need to be slightly narrower. The top silhouette is a little too boxy for my taste. I might post a silhouette later for critique. I am not sure a 36R or 37R would be the solution for me, as I'm quite happy with the chest fit on this peacoat. My issue may be with the military shoulders period.

bombers

Reaction score
Maybe a tailor can remove some padding? It's worth a try...
Also, what year and manufacturer did you get? Can you post some measurements as I'm unsure of the measurements they listed.

Romvesen

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm thinking about ordering a J.Crew peacoat online. I live in Europe so it's quite important to get the size right.
I'm about 185pounds and 6 feet(84kg and 183cm). I want a quite slim fit, but still be able to layer with a thin sweater. Do you guys think that a medium would be the best choice?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, medium. I'm 6'0 and 160 lbs and the small fits me.

brainbrain

Reaction score
long time reader, first time poster...

i am in desperate need for the perfect brown herringbone peacoat. i'm not yet set on double vs. single breasted, open to either.

being the experts that all of you are, can you guys recommend and link to some coats that fit the description? as a college student on a relative budget (one that saves for larger purchases like this, though... just picked up a pair of frye wingtips that are incredible!), i'm looking to spend somewhere in the $200-$500 range, ideally picking up a timeless piece that i can have for the rest of my life (or until i can upgrade anyways!).

thanks in advance!

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
My 38R '70s issue peacoat arrived today from VintageTrends.com. The 32 oz Kersey wool feels great, and the fit IS trim (the armholes are high), but what is bugging me is the padding on the shoulders. I'm on the fence on whether to keep or not. I feel that on coats, if the shoulders are padded, they need to be slightly narrower. The top silhouette is a little too boxy for my taste. I might post a silhouette later for critique. I am not sure a 36R or 37R would be the solution for me, as I'm quite happy with the chest fit on this peacoat. My issue may be with the military shoulders period.

I haven't found that the issue peacoats have any more padding than the civilian peacoats. If you don't like the shoulders on the military version, I doubt you will like the civilian models any better. Plus the civilian models don't give a good fitted appearance; they are more boxy. If it is a good fit, other than the shoulders being a bit wide, you may well grow into it as you gain depth and breadth in the shoulders. I did.

Or, as Bombers suggested, you might take it to a seamstress to have some of the padding removed. Be careful there as you might induce shoulder droop if too much is removed.

VictorC

Reaction score
in army surpus stores there are black peacoats with USN peacoats inside the coat.
They are pretty warm but only have 50%ish wool. And it is only in black.
But at £50 that is cheapish.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
in army surpus stores there are black peacoats with USN peacoats inside the coat.
They are pretty warm but only have 50%ish wool. And it is only in black.
But at £50 that is cheapish.

Do you mean USN Tags inside the coats? If so, they are phony labels, as you know, having read the article on Navy peacoats. And at 50% or even 80% wool, I don't think they will be warm enough for the winters you guys have over there. From my time there, I found England has relatively cold winters--not as cold as Germany, but cold just the same. Plus it can be a wet environment as well. Love your freezing fog! Never experienced that in the US.

What about the Royal Navy peacoats? I would think there would be an abundance of them in London. But I never see anything posted about them. I would like to know more, such as style, fit, materials, etc. As my specialty is the the US Navy version, I have never done any research on the British peacoat.

If you have any information, let us know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads