• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there potential for me to stick with this tailor?

hst

Reaction score
Hi

I have been a SF member for about 6 months now, and have learnt much from members on the forum.

I recently found a new MTM tailor, which offers very reasonable prices. As I already have staple suits in navy and grey, I decided to use a 16-18 ounce blue plaid fabric (unknown brand) to make a fall/winter "trial" suit with this new tailor.

Overall, I think there is definitely quite a bit of room for improvements. For instance, the jacket sleeve could be say 1/2 inch shorter. I also thought that the sleeve is a little too wide for my thin arms
smile.gif
The jacket seems to be fused, but I am not too overly concerned with that as I only spent about $220 in all (fabric included) for the entire suit.

I hope to get comments so that I could improve on the fit of my next suit with this tailor. In particular, could I get some feedback on the armhole, button stance, waist compression, vents, jacket length and sleeve width. Thanks.

DSC08048.jpg

DSC08052.jpg

DSC08068.jpg

DSC08073.jpg

DSC08064-1.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad at all! Especially for the price. Where is this tailor located?

As far as improvements go, the major thing I'd change is the sleeve width. It is indeed too wide for your arms.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
3rd photo (i.e. side shot), you can see the fabric wrinkling at the shoulder padding, indicating its too big for OP.

I can also see there seems to be small waist suppression, but when buttoned theres some bunching up of the fabric

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything is fine to a MTM suit. But bear in mind, in some cases, this is as far as they can go. You must confirm if they can really improve in next project.

Hungryman792

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say the shoulders are slightly off. But a great deal for the price you paid. Where are you based, if you don't mind me asking?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the jacket is a size to big. the collar sits away from your neck.

the jacket looks very stiff and heavy.
next time, let your tailor work with something lighterweight

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Not bad at all! Especially for the price. Where is this tailor located?

As far as improvements go, the major thing I'd change is the sleeve width. It is indeed too wide for your arms.

Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
3rd photo (i.e. side shot), you can see the fabric wrinkling at the shoulder padding, indicating its too big for OP.

I can also see there seems to be small waist suppression, but when buttoned theres some bunching up of the fabric

Originally Posted by Hungryman792
Yeah, I'd say the shoulders are slightly off. But a great deal for the price you paid. Where are you based, if you don't mind me asking?

acecow/ginlimetonic/Hungryman792 - Thanks. Would you know if the tailor could slim down the sleeve without cutting a new pair of sleeves. This tailor is located in Singapore
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Maccimus
Everything is fine to a MTM suit. But bear in mind, in some cases, this is as far as they can go. You must confirm if they can really improve in next project.

Thanks, Maccimus. I suspect the tailor probably can still improve somewhat, even if one could not expect a perfect suit from him.

Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
the jacket is a size to big. the collar sits away from your neck.

the jacket looks very stiff and heavy.
next time, let your tailor work with something lighterweight

Shirtmaven - what should I tell the tailor about the collar other than the jacket being too big overall.

I intend to use a Dugdale light weight worsted for my next project - which will be a summer suit. Maybe, it will be turn out better. The jacket looks heavy as the fabric was heavy to begin with. Not much canvas was added.

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Are you wearing the tie I sent you last week?
wink.gif

Astute observations! I think the tie goes rather well with this suit
smile.gif

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
for this suit.
I would ask the tailor to raise and shorten the collar
taken in through the center back seam
that should improve.
the sleeves hang nicely, even though they are a bit wide.
You might not want to mess with that too much.

next time time let him know that you want a suit that is tighter to your chest.
they should be able to get it right.
show him these photos

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hst
acecow/ginlimetonic/Hungryman792 - Thanks. Would you know if the tailor could slim down the sleeve without cutting a new pair of sleeves. This tailor is located in Singapore
smile.gif

Thanks, Maccimus. I suspect the tailor probably can still improve somewhat, even if one could not expect a perfect suit from him.

Shirtmaven - what should I tell the tailor about the collar other than the jacket being too big overall.

I intend to use a Dugdale light weight worsted for my next project - which will be a summer suit. Maybe, it will be turn out better. The jacket looks heavy as the fabric was heavy to begin with. Not much canvas was added.

1. And the name of the tailor is ......? Looking at the tailor gshen and you used, I think they have years if not decades of experience. I wonder to what extend do they need to improve?

2. The sleeves can be slimmed but I bet the tailor would be reluctant to do it since it would take him alot of time and he would not be paid extra for it.

3. What are the shoes you are wearing. It matches the suit and even your tie very well.

was385

Reaction score
I agree with what most posters have said about sleeve width. Other than that, pretty darn nice for the price, certainly better than any OTR suits anywhere near that price point.

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
for this suit.
I would ask the tailor to raise and shorten the collar
taken in through the center back seam
that should improve.
the sleeves hang nicely, even though they are a bit wide.
You might not want to mess with that too much.

next time time let him know that you want a suit that is tighter to your chest.
they should be able to get it right.
show him these photos

Originally Posted by Jangofett
1. And the name of the tailor is ......? Looking at the tailor gshen and you used, I think they have years if not decades of experience. I wonder to what extend do they need to improve?

2. The sleeves can be slimmed but I bet the tailor would be reluctant to do it since it would take him alot of time and he would not be paid extra for it.

3. What are the shoes you are wearing. It matches the suit and even your tie very well.

The tailor I used here is more than 70 years old, and has been in the business for at least 30-40 years. He doesn't speak English, so I have to find a way to explain to him in Mandarin or a local dialect "raise and shorten the collartaken in through the center back seam". I think it may be rather challenging
smile.gif

I am wearing a C&J Weymouth
satisfied.gif

Originally Posted by was385
I agree with what most posters have said about sleeve width. Other than that, pretty darn nice for the price, certainly better than any OTR suits anywhere near that price point.

Thanks, was385.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Over all not bad at all for the money. The shoulders are too wide, arms too wide. For $200 I would not worry too much about and get him to make number II for you. Too bad about it being fused, for more money does he do a canvassed version?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If he can raise up the armholes, good. But perhaps just making the shoulders and chest a shade cleaner will fix much of the problem. As it stands now it looks a little large and your lifting your arm is messing with your collar. Pull everything up and in and you're golden.

Were you to get the sleeves shortened to show some cuff, much of the apparent largeness would be less obvious. Right now it looks a little like you borrowed your dad's suit. And if you can't get the width of sleeves altered on this model, ask for it in Mark II.

Trousers are a shade long also, although that's obviously a matter of taste. If there's enough fabric, try to get cuffs put in.

Overall, your R&D budget seems to have gone a long way. Congratulations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads