• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People on Yelp: Why do you all suck?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis
P.S. Don't take your date there, they allow people with sneakers and
flip flops

Sounds like my kind of place.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hometown-buf...V3K09w8WxpUBZg
"I haven't been here for about a year, but used to frequent this place a lot with my nieces. They loved the Hometown Buffet "Bee" - LOL! I like to go here for the American staples - meatloaf, mashed potatoes, fried chicken, baked beans, did I mention mashed potatoes?!? Anyway, they do a good job with those things and have a variety of veggies, salads and some ethnic foods which I stay away from. I like the dessert bar with ice cream machine. Bummer that they are charging extra for drinks now... Overall, a good buffet if what you are looking for is comfort food and lots of it!"

lol8[1].gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What in God's name is Labelking looking at reviews for Hometown Buffet for????

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
What in God's name is Labelking looking at reviews for Hometown Buffet for????
Probably just looking for laughs
biggrin.gif

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
People on Yelp are sometimes so funny it's sad. ... Responders: either continue with the pile-on of ****** yelpers or post your own ****** reviews for us to make fun of you.
OK, I'll bite. Here are two reviews, posted by Yelpers, about a resto in Toronto. I am fond of this particular restaurant (wonderful cocktails), which has won numerous awards. Basically, it's casual refinement, and known for its Canadian cuisine (such as screech-marinated foie gras and wild game tourtière). Review No. 1 (2* review) "The view is crazy, being on the top floor of some billion-storey office building. Service is pretentious. I felt "less than" going in here and I hate that feeling! I like to think I'm pretty awesome, and the last thing I want is some place I'm a patron at to make me feel inadequate. Cocktails look yummy though I haven't tried them. Food is quite good. Presentation is lovely. Wine is good. The view is amazing! Overall experience, if you're stuck up and like to think you're on top of the world, go here wearing your designer suit and tie for your business lunch and look at us little people below (who appear as insignificant specs) from the ____ floor of this finance building. Don't get me wrong, the food is quite good, but this place is so esteemed most likely because it's so fancy and pretentious and people speak highly of it only so that they can feel like they're included among the elite crowd of its pretentious lunch-goers. Plus, there are other restaurants that are less pretentious ..., so it's not the food that'll make me come back, but the service and overall stuffy atmosphere is keeping me away. Pretentious, shallow service. Like honestly, it's just lunch, no need to act all holier than thou. Yawn. Overrated. I don't think I'd ever come back here. Don't get me wrong, the food was quite good, I'd just rather go some place where I felt more welcome. I much prefer going to (an American style bistro, whose offerings are steaks and chops)." Review No. 2 (5* review) "Normally when they tell you its a restaurant "with a view" from a high floor of a building that is code for saying the restaurant only exists because of the view. This is NOT the case with____. Not only is ____a beautiful space with a fantastic bar scene on a high floor but more importantly the food is fantastic. My wife and I went there because of the ratings and being lovers of fine dining were hoping for the best and____ really delivered. _____ uses phenomenal meats and produce, if you can get the caribou get it. The cheeses the desserts and the wine pairings they suggest make it great but also approachable. The wait staff that we had were so helpful and our questions and interest in the food was appreciated by the chef who came out to talk to us. We loved _____ and will be back when we have a chance to return to Toronto." Analysis: OK, so, basically, reviewer No. 2 met the chef and had great service, whereas reviewer No. 1 called the whole thing pretentious and not worth the price (although s/he admits never trying the cocktails, nor does s/he mention anything s/he ordered). Reviewer No. 1 says, however, that lunch was good (without saying what it was, but we know Reviewer No. 2 enjoyed the game, along with some wine, cheese and dessert as recommended by the house). That said, reviewer No. 1 hates the place, despite enjoying the food (whatever that was). So what is his/her complaint about? In the heart of Toronto's business district, being the financial heart Canada (a G-8 nation), s/he complains-on and on, and then on some more-about people in the resto wearing ... a suit and a tie? In fact, whole crux of Reviewer No. 1's "review" seems to be about business people and how they're dressed, and how s/he wasn't (thus felt out of place in the lunch time crowd). OK, then ... Seems the only thing this person enjoyed was the view, in which case I might suggest to this person the CN Tower [world's tallest "structure" (no longer the tallest building, I know, but there is a touristy resto up there, serving sandwiches, grilled chicken and chops, I imagine ...) ] Hey, great idea for a thread, and that I admit was fun ...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
OK, I'll bite. Here are two reviews, posted by Yelpers, about a resto in Toronto. I am fond of this particular restaurant (wonderful cocktails), which has won numerous awards. Basically, it's casual refinement, and known for its Canadian cuisine (such as screech-marinated foie gras and wild game tourtière).

Review No. 1 (2* review)
"The view is crazy, being on the top floor of some billion-storey office building. Service is pretentious. I felt "less than" going in here and I hate that feeling! I like to think I'm pretty awesome, and the last thing I want is some place I'm a patron at to make me feel inadequate. Cocktails look yummy though I haven't tried them. Food is quite good. Presentation is lovely. Wine is good. The view is amazing!

Overall experience, if you're stuck up and like to think you're on top of the world, go here wearing your designer suit and tie for your business lunch and look at us little people below (who appear as insignificant specs) from the ____ floor of this finance building.

Don't get me wrong, the food is quite good, but this place is so esteemed most likely because it's so fancy and pretentious and people speak highly of it only so that they can feel like they're included among the elite crowd of its pretentious lunch-goers. Plus, there are other restaurants that are less pretentious ..., so it's not the food that'll make me come back, but the service and overall stuffy atmosphere is keeping me away.

Pretentious, shallow service. Like honestly, it's just lunch, no need to act all holier than thou. Yawn. Overrated. I don't think I'd ever come back here. Don't get me wrong, the food was quite good, I'd just rather go some place where I felt more welcome. I much prefer going to (an American style bistro, whose offerings are steaks and chops)."[/color]

Review No. 2 (5* review)

"Normally when they tell you its a restaurant "with a view" from a high floor of a building that is code for saying the restaurant only exists because of the view. This is NOT the case with____.

Not only is ____a beautiful space with a fantastic bar scene on a high floor but more importantly the food is fantastic. My wife and I went there because of the ratings and being lovers of fine dining were hoping for the best and____ really delivered.

_____ uses phenomenal meats and produce, if you can get the caribou get it. The cheeses the desserts and the wine pairings they suggest make it great but also approachable. The wait staff that we had were so helpful and our questions and interest in the food was appreciated by the chef who came out to talk to us.

We loved _____ and will be back when we have a chance to return to Toronto."

Analysis:
OK, so, basically, reviewer No. 2 met the chef and had great service, whereas reviewer No. 1 called the whole thing pretentious and not worth the price (although s/he admits never actually trying the cocktails, nor mentioning anything s/he ordered). Reviewer No. 1 says, however, that lunch was good (without saying what it was, but we know Reviewer No. 2 enjoyed the game, along with some wine, cheese and dessert as recommended by the house). That said, Reviewer No. 1 hates the place, despite enjoying the food (whatever that was). So what is his/her complaint about? In the heart of Toronto's financial district, the heart of Canada (a G-8 nation), s/he complains-on and on, and then on some more-about people in the resto wearing ... a suit and a tie? In fact, whole crux of Reviewer No. 1's "review" seems to be about business people and how they're dressed at lunch time. OK, then ...

Seems the only thing this person enjoyed was the view, in which case I might suggest to this person the CN Tower ... (world's tallest "structure", no longer the tallest building, I know ... ).

Hey, great idea for a thread, and that I admit was fun ...

Is this Canoe?

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Is this Canoe?

Yes it is; you win the prize, Sir. Next cocktail is on me
smile.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it is; you win the prize, Sir. Next cocktail is on me
smile.gif

I had good food there.

I want to go back and try a lot more game.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite. Here are two reviews, posted by Yelpers, about a resto in Toronto. I am fond of this particular restaurant (wonderful cocktails), which has won numerous awards. Basically, it's casual refinement, and known for its Canadian cuisine (such as screech-marinated foie gras and wild game tourtière). Review No. 1 (2* review) "The view is crazy, being on the top floor of some billion-storey office building. Service is pretentious. I felt "less than" going in here and I hate that feeling! I like to think I'm pretty awesome, and the last thing I want is some place I'm a patron at to make me feel inadequate. Cocktails look yummy though I haven't tried them. Food is quite good. Presentation is lovely. Wine is good. The view is amazing! Overall experience, if you're stuck up and like to think you're on top of the world, go here wearing your designer suit and tie for your business lunch and look at us little people below (who appear as insignificant specs) from the ____ floor of this finance building. Don't get me wrong, the food is quite good, but this place is so esteemed most likely because it's so fancy and pretentious and people speak highly of it only so that they can feel like they're included among the elite crowd of its pretentious lunch-goers. Plus, there are other restaurants that are less pretentious ..., so it's not the food that'll make me come back, but the service and overall stuffy atmosphere is keeping me away. Pretentious, shallow service. Like honestly, it's just lunch, no need to act all holier than thou. Yawn. Overrated. I don't think I'd ever come back here. Don't get me wrong, the food was quite good, I'd just rather go some place where I felt more welcome. I much prefer going to (an American style bistro, whose offerings are steaks and chops)." Review No. 2 (5* review) "Normally when they tell you its a restaurant "with a view" from a high floor of a building that is code for saying the restaurant only exists because of the view. This is NOT the case with____. Not only is ____a beautiful space with a fantastic bar scene on a high floor but more importantly the food is fantastic. My wife and I went there because of the ratings and being lovers of fine dining were hoping for the best and____ really delivered. _____ uses phenomenal meats and produce, if you can get the caribou get it. The cheeses the desserts and the wine pairings they suggest make it great but also approachable. The wait staff that we had were so helpful and our questions and interest in the food was appreciated by the chef who came out to talk to us. We loved _____ and will be back when we have a chance to return to Toronto." Analysis: OK, so, basically, reviewer No. 2 met the chef and had great service, whereas reviewer No. 1 called the whole thing pretentious and not worth the price (although s/he admits never trying the cocktails, nor does s/he mention anything s/he ordered). Reviewer No. 1 says, however, that lunch was good (without saying what it was, but we know Reviewer No. 2 enjoyed the game, along with some wine, cheese and dessert as recommended by the house). That said, reviewer No. 1 hates the place, despite enjoying the food (whatever that was). So what is his/her complaint about? In the heart of Toronto's business district, being the financial heart Canada (a G-8 nation), s/he complains-on and on, and then on some more-about people in the resto wearing ... a suit and a tie? In fact, whole crux of Reviewer No. 1's "review" seems to be about business people and how they're dressed, and how s/he wasn't (thus felt out of place in the lunch time crowd). OK, then ... Seems the only thing this person enjoyed was the view, in which case I might suggest to this person the CN Tower [world's tallest "structure" (no longer the tallest building, I know, but there is a touristy resto up there, serving sandwiches, grilled chicken and chops, I imagine ...) ] Hey, great idea for a thread, and that I admit was fun ...
#1. Doesn't seem to have had a meal at the restaurant but was trying to get her review count up so she could get "Elite" status...it appears she did. #2. Seems to have had an actual experience to write a review about. Most other reviews of that place are stellar*

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Gah! This is a HUGE thing in Seattle Yelp reviews. We have the granola (not to mention hipster)crowd who expects every high end restaurant to be disguised as some hole in the wall with a chalkboard menu. Anything too cosmopolitan or ambitious will always be cursed with a 3-star average and scathing reviews from the local independent newspaper within days of opening.
This pretty well sums up Sacramento Yelp as well. I try to counter it by writing reviews of nice places and pointing out that they are places where people actually can dress up for dinner or drinks, but I feel that I am fighting a losing battle. It's been an OK way to meet a few people here in town, but the vast majority are people with whom I would never voluntarily choose to associate.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I had good food there. I want to go back and try a lot more game.
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
#1. Doesn't seem to have had a meal at the restaurant but was trying to get her review count up so she could get "Elite" status...it appears she did. #2. Seems to have had an actual experience to write a review about. Most other reviews of that place are stellar*
I've only had good experiences, too, SField. Yes, their game is good. Their caribou is flown in from the Yukon, as I understand. It's very well prepared--being a lean meat, with a touch of sweetness (not "gamey")--and as good as any I've had in Montreal (which is known for its game specialties. Though, when it comes to venison to be honest I've yet to find any prepared as well as Montreal's offerings anywhere outside of Montreal, but it could just be me). Of course, they've many other dishes. Note: their cheese selection includes samplings from Quebec, with wines and champagne from established European estates joined by Canadian and Californian selections, as well as handcrafts. Pretentious says Reviewer No 1? Hardly. Good food? Yes! (Suddenly, I'm craving roast hind of caribou
smile.gif
) So, as you can imagine, I was left scratching my head when it came to Reviewer No. 1, especially since the restaurant is among the best in Canada, as rated by professional food critics (I'm not a professional food critic by any means, but I've been there many times over for years). CouttsClient: your observation is an excellent one, and the only thing that makes sense. Yes, when you pile up all the reviews they do add up to "stellar". That someone like Reviewer No. 1 who doesn't have a clue can be "elevated" to "elite" status (meaning her opinions are given more weight by other yelpers, I suppose) is bizarre, I think. Only way to counter those is by doing what Bradford says. In this case, other 'yelpers' have. But I also understand that yelp has a policy where, if someone comes in with a single review, it won't be shown until they write more reviews. I also understand Yelp will stop showing those reviews if the reviewer stops contributing, whereas the ones written by those with the high review count (i.e., the Elite) remain up. What a silly policy, making Yelp of little use in turn. tl/DR: yelp has its place as a social networking site, but I don't find its purpose-aka reviews-to be all that useful.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate Yelp. It's particularly helpful to form an idea of a place that normally passes unnoticed by professional critics, e.g. local cafÃ
00a9.png
s, cheap ethnic restaurants, and the like. What hasn't been mentioned is that the service isn't just meant as a restaurant guide, but as a guide to any public place, such as train stations, malls, museums, and so forth. You could hire a thousand professional critics for a year and they wouldn't be able to cover the breadth that crowdsourcing can provide in a week. It's the range that makes the service interesting, not its profundity.

I more or less agree with the criticisms of stupid reviews. On the other hand, some information is better than none. I find that most dedicated yelpers manage to mention something about quality of food, service, and price. It's incredibly useful when you haven't the faintest idea of where to go. As for the rest, exercise some judgment.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCliff
Chowhound: the closest thing to SF for food that I've found, at least in the few cities I've used it. It isn't as comprehensive as I'd like, but the threads are typically written by foodies and you can use the recommendations to make an informed judgement. At the end of the day, it's just a meal, so if it sucks, you don't have to go back.

Chowhound usually has reasonable commentary. In chicago I have found LTHforum when doing searches a few times and it seems to be pretty good. I don't have an account or any desire to post there but it has definitely steered me the right way more than once (particularly in recommending some new dishes at a favorite place in chinatown)

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
"I haven't been here for about a year, but used to frequent this place a lot with my nieces. They loved the Hometown Buffet "Bee" - LOL! I like to go here for the American staples - meatloaf, mashed potatoes, fried chicken, baked beans, did I mention mashed potatoes?!? Anyway, they do a good job with those things and have a variety of veggies, salads and some ethnic foods which I stay away from. I like the dessert bar with ice cream machine. Bummer that they are charging extra for drinks now... Overall, a good buffet if what you are looking for is comfort food and lots of it!"

lol8[1].gif

hahaha! What a great way to annouce his irritable bowel syndrome to the whole world.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
hahaha! What a great way to annouce his irritable bowel syndrome to the whole world.
From the photo it looked like a SHE but she doesn't look as though she stays away from much food at all.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads