• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese Cayenne

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
Sorry, not being facetious. Geely, Chery and BYD are pretty popular in mainland China. And Buick is considered a top tier brand.

Thanks for the response, do they even have any sort of safety regulation standards there?

-LR

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
And Buick is considered a top tier brand.
Buick IS a top tier brand. Also not Chinese. Sheesh, what do they teach you guys in school these days?
eh.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arirang
Leave it to the Chinese to create a car out of papier-mache.

I was thinking more of tinfoil.

If I were living in China, I would be driving a Buick. Any Buick would probably sever one of these in half and proceed with maybe a couple of scratches.

Good lord, what a POS.

Mike

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
How do these guys not get in trouble for IP infringement?

The Chinese government protects their own. Its known that if you try to get anybody in court over there, you're pissing money away.

And yes, the knockoff cars are extremely popular. The X5 lookalike (maybe called CEO?) is a common site.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
How do these guys not get in trouble for IP infringement?
I remember watching a TED talk about industries that have no or little IP protection. The car industry is one of them when it comes to design. The clothing industry is also like that. With these types of industries, they try to protect the trademark or copyright so that copycats can't market it under their name. There was also a great article in NY Times that talked about the economics of copying entire cars and they postulated that because of the low margin of profit from these copycat cars, and how fast these cars were coming out after the originals that they could safely conclude that the govt was funding the programs.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
I was hoping that at the end... after a long pause... when it's quiet... the crash test dummy head falls off and hits the floor.

Or that it's a Chinese political prisoner with markings taped all over them.

brown eyes

Reaction score
60 years ago when Japan started importing cars into the United States, they were considered pieces of sh*t.

20 years ago when Korea started importing cars into the United States, they were considered pieces of sh*t.

Look at them now.

Give the Chinese a few years, they'll catch up. The same goes for the Indians.

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes
60 years ago when Japan started importing cars into the United States, they were considered pieces of sh*t.

20 years ago when Korea started importing cars into the United States, they were considered pieces of sh*t.

Look at them now.

Give the Chinese a few years, they'll catch up. The same goes for the Indians.

Finally a guy who makes some sense in this thread. I feel that a majority of hostility against the Chinese is fear of the potential and capabilities of the Chinese.

arirang

Reaction score
^ Maybe in 20 years I'll be driving a quality Chinese car and liking it, but I feel sorry for anyone unwittingly driving a Chinese-made death trap on wheels today.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
I feel that a majority of hostility against the Chinese is fear of the potential and capabilities of the Chinese.

Were they handing out special pins @ the Glory to China rally you just came back from ?
laugh.gif

Car makers in Japan who've been @ it for over 50 years, to this day haven't quite figured out the art of suspension tuning.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Were they handing out special pins @ the Glory to China rally you just came back from ?
laugh.gif

Car makers in Japan who've been @ it for over 50 years, to this day haven't quite figured out the art of suspension tuning.

puzzled.gif

Mazda MX-5?
Nissan GT-R?
And a whole heap of other cars that handle damn well - much better than most of the products churned out by the US car companies.

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
The Chinese government protects their own. Its known that if you try to get anybody in court over there, you're pissing money away.
There is, however, a very vibrant market amongst security/risk management firms in IP security. One way or another, if you really want IP violations stopped. You can get them stopped.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
puzzled.gif

Mazda MX-5?
Nissan GT-R?
And a whole heap of other cars that handle damn well - much better than most of the products churned out by the US car companies.

The handling aspect they've more or less gotten a grip on. What they struggle @ is combining firm, sporty handling with comfy ride. More so when the patch of rubber separating wheel from pavement gets thinner and thinner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads