• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Wearing CB I Hate Perfume's Burning Leaves. It smells like Burning Leaves. Anyone interested in buying a decant of this? I'm not sure I need a whole bottle.

hmmm, why yes! That one's been on my list for a while to at least test but I'm willing to start with a decant... PM sent!

Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Today I'm wearing TF Japon Noir.
ooh, nice one.

I've been testing out a few of the Mark Buxton lineup. I actually quite like them so far. I can't put my finger on it but there's something very familiar but nichey about them. They're all "interesting" so far but so full of everything that I haven't found any so far that are really unique and good for something. they're just "good" so far.

PS - did everyone see the PSA on GIT? Walgreens (yep!) is selling a 4oz bottle for $120 shipped. It's $150 less the PERFUME (20% off) discount.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - another 'road less-traveled' day.

Anyway, I read a review of YSL Opium where it was called costumey and over-the-top. Then I read a review where someone stated that the vintage was just SO MUCH MORE WONDERFUL than the current juice, so I stalked ebay and wound up with an ounce of really old stuff. That is what I'm wearing. It's good, fine, actually, maybe wonderful but a tad dated, and it puts me in mind of a well-kept older lady in a fur coat.

In other words, you probably won't catch me wearing this very often.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra

Today I'm wearing TF Japon Noir.

What's your impression of the Japon Noir?

I'm wearing TF Noir de Noir today. Usually when I wear this, the oud stands out most prominently. But every once in a while, it's the chocolatey note that really jumps out. Today is one of those days. I like that chocolatey note a lot.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
ooh, nice one.

I really like it. A great recommendation from "L'Incandescent".

Today Montale Black Oud just arrived along with some free samples from Perfumed Court (those ladies are really nice).

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
What's your impression of the Japon Noir?
Sorry, didn't see this when I wrote the last post! I like it, but I've yet to (or - more likely - don't know how to) pick apart it's ingredients in my head. 'It smells good on my skin', is as far as I've gotten.
smile.gif

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about to place an order for a bunch of 1ml samples from ThePerfumedCourt. My list is Moss Breches, AdP Colonia Intensa, Dans tes Bras, Tobacco Vanille and 2.5ml of Grey Vetiver, since I know I already like that. It seems rather expensive (40 bucks), considering the amount of fragrance you get. Is this how you all try fragrances?

Also, do TF stores allow you to smell their fragrances? I might be headed up to NYC for a day of SF fun soon.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I'm about to place an order for a bunch of 1ml samples from ThePerfumedCourt. My list is Moss Breches, AdP Colonia Intensa, Dans tes Bras, Tobacco Vanille and 2.5ml of Grey Vetiver, since I know I already like that. It seems rather expensive (40 bucks), considering the amount of fragrance you get. Is this how you all try fragrances?

Also, do TF stores allow you to smell their fragrances? I might be headed up to NYC for a day of SF fun soon.

This is how I'm doing it. Only I bought a bunch of 5 and 8 ml bottles instead of small ones.
facepalm.gif

Oh well, I'm set for awhile.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I think all the stores let you sample, but I'd make a sort of wish-list beforehand, because you're going to want to sample on skin - and let it rest a while - before plunking down the lucre. You'll want to pare it back to a few select ones, because it's hard to keep track of what you put where. I do know of a few folks who test in various spots (wrists, backs of hands, elbows, etc) and then write on those areas so they don't forget what it was. If you're headed to NYC, there's a ton of places that will let you sample and sometimes will give you samples to take with you.

As for how I try scents... I either cadge/swap a sample from someone, swap for a bottle, or sometimes I just buy blind if the price is reasonable and it has a good rep. If a scent has a good rep and is popular, I expect to be able to swap it away for something else without a lot of hassle or a major loss.

Originally Posted by Rambo
That classic Opium is potent ****.

It certainly is.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's surprisingly expensive. My last order from The Perfumed Court was for ten 1 ml samples and one 1.5 ml. The total with shipping was $57. Of course that's still a lot of money per ml, but I'm willing to pay for the opportunity to sample fragrances that would otherwise be very difficult to acquire.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm about to place an order for a bunch of 1ml samples from ThePerfumedCourt. My list is Moss Breches, AdP Colonia Intensa, Dans tes Bras, Tobacco Vanille and 2.5ml of Grey Vetiver, since I know I already like that. It seems rather expensive (40 bucks), considering the amount of fragrance you get. Is this how you all try fragrances? Also, do TF stores allow you to smell their fragrances? I might be headed up to NYC for a day of SF fun soon.
TF will let you sample to your heart's content. They may not have bottles of moss breches though since its been discontinued. That TPC order seems abnormally high. Check eBay and a few of the other online sources. Hell, samples from LuckyScent are only $3 a pop for most of them. Free shipping with code MUA.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, another entry in the log of things I've not worn lately: Dunhill for Men.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Rose 31 today. I'm liking this more and more. I get the strange mental image of a rose behind a cloud of flies when I smell it. There is a slightly-off spiciness that reminds me of carrion in there somewhere. Very strange, and imminently sniff-able.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads