• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SW&D groupthink

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Made in California

Reaction score

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
There are guys on the forum (Rye GB (now mostly absent), Fuuma, Rach, off the top of my head,) whose fashion memories are considerably longer than one cycle, and who tend to be less dogmatic about what brands and styles are "acceptable" than many members.

Speaking of... did you get my PM way back when? I found your Dries teal trench and a link to the whole season!

You ne'er PM'd me back. I cried.
frown.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...1&postcount=51

mickey711

Reaction score
I had a chunky alpaca Gucci turtleneck once. It had a great hand and drape to it - very epicurean. It shrank while I was washing it, though, rendering it completely unwearable
ffffuuuu.gif

I just realized I need some baller knits.

Originally Posted by KitAkira
Also, why does everyone always have to come in with the Dolce (et. al.) hate? Talk about groupthink

+1. There's more to Dolce and Gabbana than garishly logoed eurotrash gear. They do put out a number of nice stuff every season. S/S (or was it F/W?) 11 in particular has some very covetable knitwear:

dolce-gabbana-sweater-bbb-essentials-lg-19046960.jpg

I also like their long point collar shirts. The collar complements thicker ties very well - if only they were more affordable...

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many different aesthetics here it naturally keeps everyone from thinking too much alike. However, the one thing we can all agree on is that **** is ****, which I've noticed seems to make noobs whine about "groupthink" when they get slammed over some garbage they think is cool.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what really bothers me is when people just list off the brand names in their outfits without even writing which item is which. I've seen good reactions to blank pictures and then when everyone asks the brands and it turns out they're the GAP or something everyone goes quiet, then someone justs lists off the brand names without identifying the item and everyone gives them props because it's obvious how expensive the getup is. At least name the item and then where it's from, sheesh.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
burr?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
what really bothers me is when people just list off the brand names in their outfits without even writing which item is which. I've seen good reactions to blank pictures and then when everyone asks the brands and it turns out they're the GAP or something everyone goes quiet, then someone justs lists off the brand names without identifying the item and everyone gives them props because it's obvious how expensive the getup is. At least name the item and then where it's from, sheesh.
Noob, it's always headgear-neckwear-outerwear-knitwear-shirting-belt-pants-boots

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This place is definitely interesting as it's a place where people willingly subject their own sense of style to the LOTFesque world of internet message boards

I think there is some kind of self fulfilling heirarchy here of established members dogpiling w/o impunity and "plebes" either jumping on the bandwagon ("thank you elite poster, you can fukk my ***** elite poster") or staying the **** out of the way.

Me personally, I think I've dialed down my approach here considerably, and am just minimizing my interactions here to using SF as a resource & one of many sources of feedback for the development of my own style. I think that's prob the best and only way for 75% of the people who post here to use this place.... figure out one's own style and use this place to perfect it and their techniques of procurement.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I actually have nice Gucci stuff, and some pretty nice Prada shoes as well. I also have some really decent early John Varvatos stuff. There is actually a leather bracelet from the present collection that is really well made, and which I really like.

There are guys on the forum (Rye GB (now mostly absent), Fuuma, Rach, off the top of my head,) whose fashion memories are considerably longer than one cycle, and who tend to be less dogmatic about what brands and styles are "acceptable" than many members.

Prada used to be great, nowadays the brand still releases some nice pieces. I think that if you've been into it for a while you understand that the brands you'll like in 10 yrs won't be the same as the one you enjoy wearing now.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Yeah, you idiots need to stop trying to be different. Just be happy in your assimilation. It's like that scene at the end of The Matrix Revolutions, if any you saw it. BTW chrono which poll option should I choose?

My point is that a person should buy what he/she likes or finds good, and not worry so much about makes us the same or different.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
SF is VERY different from the real life and the real world where we all actually live. Here, brand names are the **** - but only the right brand names. Armani Exchange, D&G, Gucci are all brands that have nice pieces, and in my community (Russian) people will fawn over an ugly Gucci shoe much more than a nice Alden shoe. Do I care? Of course not. But I could buy a nice Gucci shoe, and come to SF and people will **** on it just because it's not G&G or MA+ or whatever SF is into that week. Groupthink drives the brand whore/label love that is so prominent on this forum. For better or worse. This is how I see the Groupthink.

There is the overlap in terms of preferring certain brands, but the reasons for preferring those brands are different.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Speaking of... did you get my PM way back when? I found your Dries teal trench and a link to the whole season!

You ne'er PM'd me back. I cried.
frown.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...1&postcount=51

I had forgotten all about that. Yeah, there was that, and a peacoat in the same fabric, with an amazing embroidered lining. Oh man. If I had not been a postdoc living in Cambridge, it would have been mine!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads