• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IQ

pokey07

Reaction score
Are any of you at least a little bit curious what your IQ is? Regardless of how little it means IRL

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
back in school we had to *********** ton of these aptitude tests to gauge the student populace and from there we can get our iq level. suffice to say **** doesn't mean anything irl except if you're a certified idiot.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
back in school we had to *********** ton of these aptitude tests to gauge the student populace and from there we can get our iq level. suffice to say **** doesn't mean anything irl except if you're a certified idiot.

I am curious what the certified idiots have to say about that.

Edina? What's your opinion here?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so many different ways to measure this and so much gap between scores and real life performance that it's almost a pointless exercise.

I'm quite a bit above average BTW. Like a fairly good amount. Bow down before me!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ I was rated a above average, just a few points shy of genius I believe... not that I got laid, got steez, or got rich because of it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Are any of you at least a little bit curious what your IQ is? Regardless of how little it means IRL
It's quite possible to know this bit of information.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pretty good idea about mine. Actually, I know the minimum it could be; I'm just not certain about my exact number.

My mom knows what it is. I once mentioned to her some BS IQ test I'd taken online, and she gave me a vague "I remember them telling me after you were tested, and that actually sounds about right" reply. Thus far, she's avoided telling me the exact number, but I've never pushed hard for an answer, either.

To be honest, curiosity drives me to want to know exactly what it is, but I'm content in having a ballpark idea.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I have a pretty good idea about mine. Actually, I know the minimum it could be; I'm just not certain about my exact number.

My mom knows what it is. I once mentioned to her some BS IQ test I'd taken online, and she gave me a vague "I remember them telling me after you were tested, and that actually sounds about right" reply. Thus far, she's avoided telling me the exact number, but I've never pushed hard for an answer, either.

To be honest, curiosity drives me to want to know exactly what it is, but I'm content in having a ballpark idea.

You're probably above average. It turns out that everyone is.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am smarter than 90% of my peers lolhahahahah

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
You're probably above average. It turns out that everyone is.

Actually, I'm just above "different." I know my minimum because momma said my IQ was good enough to get me into the Greenbow schools, making me a notch better than that kid who was "different." The things his momma had to do to get him into the school I attended...

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Actually, I'm just above "different." I know my minimum because momma said my IQ was good enough to get me into the Greenbow schools, making me a notch better than that kid who was "different." The things his momma had to do to get him into the school I attended...

His mama sho' did care about his schoolin'.

Droog

Reaction score
In a previous professional life, I've given 100s of IQ tests, mostly the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale and Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children. Correctly speaking, an aptitude test does not equate to an intelligence test. However, they are highly correlated (see last paragraph). Intelligence is a “nested” variable in one’s aptitude for certain competencies.

Intelligence is very complex and interacts with other variables. Personality factors do, indeed, affect one's "success", but so does intelligence. This does not, therefore, rule out the significance of intelligence, which is positively correlated with any number of “success factors,” e.g., health, income, longevity.

Intelligence scores, like SATs, are transformed scores based on a defined standard deviation (SD) and mean. (For those who might not know, an SD is the average variability of scores around the mean.) The SD for IQ tests vary, but 15 or 16 points is about right with the mean defined at 100. For an SAT, the SD for a test is 100 and the mean is 500. This is all based on how these test scores were originally derived, but they use normative tables now rather than the current tested sample (otherwise, you couldn't say, for example, that SAT scores are going down). Not sure how this fits into the newer SAT regimen.

If memory serves and back in my day, IQs at/above the approximate mean were classed into: 90-110 (average), 111-120 (above average), 121-130 (superior), 131+ (very superior). IQs that are real high, e.g. (160+), and real low aren’t really meaningful because the sample size is so small. This is basically why an SAT tops out at 800.

You can estimate your IQ (which most people don’t know) from your SAT (which most people do know) by plotting/extrapolating the SDs, correcting for the mean intelligence vs. the mean SAT (because people of less intelligence are less likely to take the SAT). Likewise, you can do the same with the GRE, which is even more selective. Or you can find the positive correlations in tables, e.g., I found the following through a quick Google search http://www.sq.4mg.com/IQ-SATchart.htm.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the IQ app for Iphone but it's not very good. Does anyone have a legit website?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I am curious what the certified idiots have to say about that.

Edina? What's your opinion here?

Well, I'm not Edina but I'd like to weigh in here. Now, ...uhhh...what was the topic again?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads