• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Ehh on both ideas. How do we who decide who gets to inform noobs the "right" way to look stylish?

As for the second idea, it only perpetuates the stereotype that we jirclecirk nonstop

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
^^Ehh on both ideas. How do we who decide who gets to inform noobs the "right" way to look stylish? As for the second idea, it only perpetuates the stereotype that we jirclecirk nonstop
I think there's some stuff floating around that hits most of the information on how to do things "right"--i.e.
Originally Posted by Magician
HOW TO BOOT TUCK: Pants must be skintight or have a sharp taper. Basically the key to a successful tuck is to make it look like that is the only possible way your outfit can go. A good test for aesthetic sucess is to ask yourself if you have to constantly re-tuck? if the answer is yes, it's probably not working It can be done with looser pants but they would need to be a very thin drapey material. ' The taller the boots the better, esp. if they have some volume. Horseback style boots or the iconic rick ones make for good boot tucks. This is generally not going to work with blue jeans or any heavy material. It is also imperative that the rest of the outfit be relatively simple. Skintight going in to a tuck gives you a little more leeway as the silhouette won't be quite so severe as a tuck with slightly bloused pants. As always look to designers who have done this successfully and make sure you do it with confidence and swagger. Like most more adventurous looke this will work much better for you if you are a) tall and skinny or b) Asian with long hair (and skinny) Boot tuck is one of those things that veers dangerously close to "If you have to ask it's not for you." Personally I do the boot tuck, esp if I'm wearing skintight jeans but much more often I will wear cropped pants if I wanna do boots - much the same effect and easier to pull off IMHO.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know "made in x country" is a concept that brands are always trying to game, but Grenson's vagaries about where their shoes are made irk me especially.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I have been meaning to visit NYC again for a long time (haven't been since i moved to boston). If people start to make a thing about it and get together for some drinks/food i think i'll try to make the trip down. Haven't seen SFers in a long time and there's always the usual nyc suspects. Would be a good excuse to get out of town
Do this in January and I'll be so game, December is going to be ******* expensive for me and I won't be out much.

Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
makin love to the money like a adult content, I'm talkin Kim K, I'm talkin Ray J!

I can't live without her, I **** her everyday!

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I think there's some stuff floating around that hits most of the information on how to do things "right"--i.e.

sw&d isn't like mc though, there's no "right" way to do stuff and for every "right" way there's a "wrong" way that ends up looking good, people just need to experiment and look at their pics after a couple months to see how stupid it looked

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
no, of course not, which is why I shop online all the ******* time. why the **** else would anyone do it?

goddamn just sick of having only slightly-specific ideas and then having to wade through oceans of **** to find any of it

That's kind of why I quit doing the online thing. I got a big order of stuff in and a bunch of it wasn't what I'd ordered, and the one thing that I had ordered looked nothing like I thought it would. Saving my money for this summer.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abraxis
Wow awesome.. I've been kinda somewhat lusting after that coat since you posted it on the military thread. Might have to snag with prices that good.

After further investigation, guy has about 10 BNWT knits in L, ranging from 180 - 300, the black greatcoat is 375, cotton trench 375, fur hood parka 500, scarf 140. If anyone's interested in any of that stuff, shoot me a PM.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Do this in January and I'll be so game, December is going to be ******* expensive for me and I won't be out much.

Do this, I will be there sometime in Jan and we will stun.

I can't live without her, I **** her everyday!
I woke up this morning and I looked in the mirror. I said mirror mirror mirror...who da coldest ***** in Atlanta? Mirror said IT'S GUCCI DO NOT ASK ME ANYMORE STUPID QUESTIONS. BURR BURR BURR BURR

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant it when I said that every post I make in WAYWT will be rap lyrics until the New Year. And I'm dead serious, I'm game for a baller meal in January, winter stunting everywhere.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
no, of course not, which is why I shop online all the ******* time. why the **** else would anyone do it?

goddamn just sick of having only slightly-specific ideas and then having to wade through oceans of **** to find any of it

I actually prefer to shop online. Sure, it'd be nice to be able to see and try on the item beforehand, but I've never enjoyed the experience of shopping itself.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that it varies from shop to shop and regularity. My favorite spot I'm on first name basis with a few of the SA's and will talk for a good 40 minutes with them about the clothing, but some shops (aloha rag) will drown you in OH THAT LOOKS SOO GOOD bull ****, I don't like the experience at most places with a high sales goal orientation. I know what I want and like, leave me the **** alone. Unless you're at my spot, in which case, whats up?

rapdancin

Reaction score
can someone explain to me how to wear a button down shirt tucked in without a tie (i.e., casually)? i've gotten a few false starts but i just don't get it yet...tucking into jeans seems weird, and tucking into other pants seems off if there's no other layer like a cardigan or something.

pictures would help.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
After further investigation, guy has about 10 BNWT knits in L, ranging from 180 - 300, the black greatcoat is 375, cotton trench 375, fur hood parka 500, scarf 140. If anyone's interested in any of that stuff, shoot me a PM.
Wow. Response is reminding me of when I proxied W+H sales.

Originally Posted by rapdancin
can someone explain to me how to wear a button down shirt tucked in without a tie (i.e., casually)?
Search the old waywt threads for fit pics from user "Get Smart" for examples. I think we're on the 4th or 5th waywt, some are titled "what are you wearing today" instead.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
I meant it when I said that every post I make in WAYWT will be rap lyrics until the New Year. And I'm dead serious, I'm game for a baller meal in January, winter stunting everywhere.
In my comprehensive exams sophomore year I made the title of every essay a reference to the clash. Also, I'd be down to nosh with you guys if you'd be willing to entertain a plebe.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I used to title my exam answers things that sounded evocative and literary but actually made no sense whatsoever and had no bearing on what I was actually writing. I have to say one of the best book titles ever was "The Salmon of Doubt" by Douglas Adams.

Hmmm... was thinking I'd post a WAYWT today, but I might save it for the next time we do a contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads