• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SW&D groupthink

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Is groupthink all that bad? Aren't two heads better than one and all that? Sometimes, people just agree. And that's not always bad imo. I think the common SF critique of groupthink (on the MC side too) comes from the larger groupthink of (post)modern culture, partucularly US culture, that says you have to be different to be authentic. Iow, we're all brainwashed into thinking we're rebels, self-made men, free-thinking individuals. But we all think we're that way.
Yeah, you idiots need to stop trying to be different. Just be happy in your assimilation. It's like that scene at the end of The Matrix Revolutions, if any you saw it. BTW chrono which poll option should I choose?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
foo.gif

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's the collective knowledge of the (relatively more) objective aspects of what makes a fit good which aren't generally spelled out anywhere else i could find (fit, proportion, color, fabric choice, coherent aesthetic). This, as well as the knowledge of brands/stores, act more a collective knowledge than a groupthink. It's a shittily organized system, mind you, but it works reasonably well.

Then there's an attitude of longtime posters in opposition the fact that being worthy of approval is as easy as figuring the above-mentioned stuff out. Especially because Clarks and Jcrew etc. make that first part kinda easy. One needs to up the ante, whether it be financially (quote unquote baller) or asthetically (gothninja/ann d etc.). This, i think, is where the gropthink lies--because this "knowledge" exists in a more subjective realm, much more arbitrary distinctions hold sway, and as a result, one looks to the collective SF circlejerk for approval.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
There's the collective knowledge of the (relatively more) objective aspects of what makes a fit good which aren't generally spelled out anywhere else i could find (fit, proportion, color, fabric choice, coherent aesthetic). This, as well as the knowledge of brands/stores, act more a collective knowledge than a groupthink. It's a shittily organized system, mind you, but it works reasonably well.

Then there's an attitude of longtime posters in opposition the fact that being worthy of approval is as easy as figuring the above-mentioned stuff out. Especially because Clarks and Jcrew etc. make that first part kinda easy. One needs to up the ante, whether it be financially (quote unquote baller) or asthetically (gothninja/ann d etc.). This, i think, is where the gropthink lies--because this "knowledge" exists in a more subjective realm, much more arbitrary distinctions hold sway, and as a result, one looks to the collective SF circlejerk for approval.

I agree with this whole heartily.

My disapproval of this groupthink mainly stems from the fact that it leads to that clique-esh "circle jerk" mentality that makes even lurkers scream at the new guys on the forum for not using the Search feature.

And that leads me to another point...the search feature is great. Sometimes I find exactly what I want. But sometimes....when there is a previous thread about the fit of "XYZ" and someone wants to know about the thickness of the material of "XYZ" it requires starting a new thread and just because some long-time poster sees XYZ in the title he assumes the person failed to use the search function. This always amuses me because with the same amount of energy you could spit a couple facts at the fellow and actually make his day better as opposed to making him feel as if SF is a hostile environment that he should be very careful posting in.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uncontrol brings balance to the force

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
SF is VERY different from the real life and the real world where we all actually live. Here, brand names are the **** - but only the right brand names. Armani Exchange, D&G, Gucci are all brands that have nice pieces, and in my community (Russian) people will fawn over an ugly Gucci shoe much more than a nice Alden shoe. Do I care? Of course not. But I could buy a nice Gucci shoe, and come to SF and people will **** on it just because it's not G&G or MA+ or whatever SF is into that week. Groupthink drives the brand whore/label love that is so prominent on this forum. For better or worse. This is how I see the Groupthink.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the anne hathaway groupthink couple years back was interesting

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
SF is VERY different from the real life and the real world where we all actually live. Here, brand names are the **** - but only the right brand names. Armani Exchange, D&G, Gucci are all brands that have nice pieces, and in my community (Russian) people will fawn over an ugly Gucci shoe much more than a nice Alden shoe. Do I care? Of course not. But I could buy a nice Gucci shoe, and come to SF and people will **** on it just because it's not G&G or MA+ or whatever SF is into that week. Groupthink drives the brand whore/label love that is so prominent on this forum. For better or worse. This is how I see the Groupthink.

I actually have nice Gucci stuff, and some pretty nice Prada shoes as well. I also have some really decent early John Varvatos stuff. There is actually a leather bracelet from the present collection that is really well made, and which I really like.

There are guys on the forum (Rye GB (now mostly absent), Fuuma, Rach, off the top of my head,) whose fashion memories are considerably longer than one cycle, and who tend to be less dogmatic about what brands and styles are "acceptable" than many members.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
the anne hathaway groupthink couple years back was interesting
She wears Balmain
inlove.gif

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
I am teh dumb, can't think.
ffffuuuu.gif

Half of my posts are just doing the
lol8[1].gif

the other half are asking jet what he thinks.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
Half of my posts are just doing the
lol8[1].gif

the other half are asking jet what he thinks.

mwink[1].gif

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I actually have nice Gucci stuff, and some pretty nice Prada shoes as well. I also have some really decent early John Varvatos stuff. There is actually a leather bracelet from the present collection that is really well made, and which I really like.
+1. I think a lot of it has to depend on the execution. For example, not all Gucci menswear have the inverted double G logo, it really depends on what you buy and the image you are trying to project.

Made in California

Reaction score
+2. Can we turn this into a Gucci love thread?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads