• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Thanks for the tip. I can see how you'd see the similarity to Cuiron - I don't particularly like Cuiron and I sold my bottle ages ago but that was because a single note bothered me. I'm sensitive to some notes and that sometimes makes an otherwise fine scent unwearable - I have the same problem with L'Instant PH. I'm also a bit blind buyer - especially with cheap bottles like this.
I re-read your review and you compared it to Derby. I remember Derby being fairly overwhelming when I sampled it. Is Mr. Blass the same?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
*******! I have bowed to peer pressure and bought a bottle. For under $20 shipped I figured what the hell.

Today I wore ELdO Tom of Finland - Very interesting. The opening was sort of chocolaty with a bit of chypre sort of scent in there. Odd but interesting.

volatile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by volatile
I've been using Gaultier Le Male for quite a while as my "evening" scent; it's time for a change.

Any recommendations from the cognoscenti here? Something similar to Le Male, something warm, rounded, slightly sweet?

No ideas, chaps?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No ideas, chaps?

Could you give us a little more detail on what you're looking for? For example, are you looking for something more formal, or for something about as casual as Le Male? Do you have an upper limit on what you're willing to pay? And are you looking for something broadly similar to Le Male, or are you mainly looking for the sweetness and warmth?

Here are some tentative suggestions:

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Le Male is also a tobacco and vanilla fragrance. But the two are not at all the same.

Hermes Elixir des Merveilles. I love this one. It's a gourmandy, sweet orange and vanilla. A bit on the feminine side, but certainly wearable for a man. (I wear it fairly frequently.)

B*Men. To me, this is a more casual scent like Le Male. It's sweet, but there's also a pronounced rhubarb note that adds a little zing. It's also one that can be acquired cheaply.

Bulgari Black. Tire rubber and ice cream. It's much, much better than it sounds! Really.

Rochas Man. Very sweet coffee with a little bit of lavender on top. For my tastes, it's actually a bit too sweet, but it's worth trying.

Bond No. 9 New Haarlem. Absurdly priced, but good. Also sweet coffee, though a little less sweet than the Rochas.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I re-read your review and you compared it to Derby. I remember Derby being fairly overwhelming when I sampled it. Is Mr. Blass the same?

It's not as strong as Derby and it's not all that similar to it - but they are both leather chypres and they grow closer in the drydown. I'm wearing it again today and I'm noticing that the opening is actually similar to Guerlain Coriolan.

volatile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Here are some tentative suggestions:
<snip>

These all sound fabulous and fascinating; I'll be hunting testers down shortly. After reading this thread, I'd become intrigued by Tobacco et Vanille anyway; I think that's top of my list. Thank you!

In answer to your questions:

Could you give us a little more detail on what you're looking for? For example, are you looking for something more formal, or for something about as casual as Le Male? Do you have an upper limit on what you're willing to pay? And are you looking for something broadly similar to Le Male, or are you mainly looking for the sweetness and warmth?
Something as casual as Le Male; I move in fairly informal circles so I'm looking for something that will sit well on an evening in a bar. I love Le Male, I feel really comfortable with it, but I'm willing to go bolder. I like sweet, maybe even slightly feminine fragrances (I wear Marc Jacobs Pear during the day), but the round, warm notes in the scents you just described (leather, rubber etc.) really appeal. Price range I guess $100 - $150 would be about what I'm estimating.

Thanks for all your help; it's really appreciated.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No ideas, chaps?

Le Male is a tough one for comparison purposes. If you felt like taking a flyer I'd rec Bulgari Black, guerlain L'instant Pour Homme, or perhaps Mr. Blass if you're not turned off by the price. Actually, for evening i'd also check out Chanel Egoiste (not Platinum).

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Put on Oud 27 this morning and immediately my skin turned red and burned like fire at the application site (hey, are those hives?). Small price to pay to smell like straw and animal droppings dipped in vinegar though. In other news, I am eagerly awaiting my sample of Ormonde Jayne Man.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New Haarlem for me today.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Man, Tinto - you're making me cringe over here!

Today, I'd thought about Chanel PM but instead decided to take the path less-traveled: SL Chergui.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Le Male is a tough one for comparison purposes. If you felt like taking a flyer I'd rec Bulgari Black, guerlain L'instant Pour Homme, or perhaps Mr. Blass if you're not turned off by the price. Actually, for evening i'd also check out Chanel Egoiste (not Platinum).

All good suggestions. Maybe also try Varvatos Vintage, it's another subtle vanilla.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1 on Egoiste (not Platinum)

I'm wearing Black Orchid today.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Man, Tinto - you're making me cringe over here!

I cringed at myself for calling "Ormonde Jayne" "Jayne Ormonde" at first. Speaking of cringiness, miss Tinto asked me if my Creed cologne was 'made by the band' the other day. *shivers*

Today I'm wearing TF Japon Noir.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Wearing CB I Hate Perfume's Burning Leaves. It smells like Burning Leaves. Anyone interested in buying a decant of this? I'm not sure I need a whole bottle.
I'm sure we could just get Thomas to distill the essence of his compost pile. I keed...I keed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads