• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TV Stand and Lounge Chair Recommendation?

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Looking for a stand for my new 42 inch plasma as well as a comfortable chair to put in my room. My room's not big a rough measurement came out to be 12X14. I live in the DC metro area if that helps recommendations any. I'm also a college student although I may not be piss poor I still have to save up to buy things and don't want to spend a ton.

For chairs I was looking at vintage Herman Miller Eames Aluminum Group chairs but figured the cost and shipping would be expensive and too much of a hassle. I figure the Ikea Poang chairs and ottomans would be a decent option but can't think of any other alternatives.

For TV stands I've been looking around and haven't made up my mind between just wall mounting it or getting a stand. I was set on wall mounting until I figured I'm only going to be here for 1-2 years longer and don't want to have to patch up a bunch of holes.

I'm in between this from Room and Board:

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/room...ruvu0$&wid=500

Although it's more than I want to spend.

And this from Ikea:

0090311_PE224060_S3.JPG

Which is probably pretty expensive for what it really is.

Scrounger

Reaction score
Do you have any other A/V equipment? Your proposed stands seem to suggest that you do - if not, any console table of your choice would hold the TV and could be re-purposed later.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should just go with ikea for now, and then down the road when you have more money you can start switching out stuff.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrounger
Do you have any other A/V equipment? Your proposed stands seem to suggest that you do - if not, any console table of your choice would hold the TV and could be re-purposed later.

+1

-LR

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think going with something inexpensive for now is the way to go. You're in college, your tastes and that of your living partner (gf, roommate, whatever) will be way different down the road so I see no need to drop a lot of cash on a TV stand now.

Something like this would work well and is inexpensive: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80144740

0088921_PE220583_S4.JPG

As for a lounger I'd go for the Poang with the MUCH nicer leather cushions, like this config:
55440_PE160526_S4.jpg

I never liked the poang much because of the crappy cushions, but I tried the leather one at the Ikea a few weeks ago and it was a much better experience.

clubbyjones

Reaction score
The ikea model that the OP posted was very cheapish in person. On a tight budget as well, I needed a new one a few months ago to match my furniture (which is all quite expensive). I ended up picking up this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105340 (in brown/black)

It blends right in. Looks fantastic. Best I could find at Ikea as far as looks go.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
None of these ikea things are deep enough for a real receiver...real PITA

Scrounger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
None of these ikea things are deep enough for a real receiver...real PITA

Shelf height is getting to be a problem too - receivers I've been eyeing lately are almost 8" tall and need additional ventilation space. I wound up going with a console table with a single sturdy lower shelf for receiver, DVD and cable box. Center channel is on a bracket that attaches to the top of the TV.

If you prefer to go with dedicated A/V stands, Bell'O makes attractive units easily found at a discount online. I like their WAVS-341 model but it won't fit a big receiver.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I never liked the poang much because of the crappy cushions, but I tried the leather one at the Ikea a few weeks ago and it was a much better experience.

Couple years ago we picked up two poängs and an ottoman; I was coming off a gig and had a few extra bucks to spare, so we splurged on leather cushions. The padding is just right and they look worlds better than the fabric options do. I spend 3-4 hours a day in this chair and it's held up nicely.

We're in no hurry to replace them with better pieces -- just need to find a good-quality small black leather sofa to coordinate.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by random-adam
Couple years ago we picked up two poängs and an ottoman; I was coming off a gig and had a few extra bucks to spare, so we splurged on leather cushions. The padding is just right and they look worlds better than the fabric options do. I spend 3-4 hours a day in this chair and it's held up nicely.

We're in no hurry to replace them with better pieces -- just need to find a good-quality small black leather sofa to coordinate.

I have noticed a higher-end fabric cushion option available in a blue or a green (and maybe others...but I like those two). They are very Scandinavian in both color and textile type (my parents have some much nicer danish couches with very similar upholstery).
I tempted to buy one (or maybe pick up a poang with a bad cushion on craigslist) just so I can have one with those cushions.

As to the TV stand....I am considering taking up cabinetry and making one myself or heavily hacking an ikea one. My receiver is indeed too big for most of the units...but the units it fits into are all so big. I have a tiny HTPC that replaces most of the racks of gear that typically accompany a receiver so I really don't need a very big console...just a deep enough one.

Of course if someone can suggest a good receiver that can do hdmi audio and at least 5.1...I am open to buying a new one (my current one I have to use optical sound from my htpc)

Blog Marley

Reaction score
I thought this thread died thanks for the suggestions
lol8[1].gif

I have a DirecTV receiver, a PS3, and plan to add a media server in the near future. I also have a speaker bar (came with the TV) that I need to figure something out for.

skammann

Reaction score
Hey, I recently bought some really cool designer furniture at Fashion4Home, they also have pretty cool lounge chairs and also stylish sideboards, which you could use for your TV.

It's definetely furniture you won't find in some cheap department store ;-)

GSquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubbyjones
The ikea model that the OP posted was very cheapish in person. On a tight budget as well, I needed a new one a few months ago to match my furniture (which is all quite expensive). I ended up picking up this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105340 (in brown/black)

It blends right in. Looks fantastic. Best I could find at Ikea as far as looks go.

That's what we went with and are really happy... other than dust shows easily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads