• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it worth transferring schools?

grit

Reaction score
USC is a good school, homie. Besides, if you're a superficial status whore, you probably are a good fit

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got into columbia, northwestern, williams, yale, stanford so it's hard for me to relate.

just kidding (about the relate part)

btw have you visited these schools you are interested in? they all have douchebags, trust fund fuckfaces, people who you can't figure out how they got admitted, shallow people, etc. on the same token, I'm sure USC has some cool people you can relate to.

USC is a perfectly decent school. not sure how you could choose it over NYU or UCLA but that's done...

mandom

Reaction score
There is really no such thing as a perfect school and a perfect fit. There will always be legacies in most universities. My take is that you hit your books and get serious. Change is from within buddy. I tend to agree with other posters that it is too late to transfer as a junior. It is better to swim forward than to swim back. USC is a good school, a "purportedly" better sounding school will not solve your problems. Same ole dog, different collar, but still a dawg.

dave333

Reaction score
Junior? Probably too late.

Not to mention it is very hard to transfer to Ivies. They either try to get people from community colleges, or people with special achievements or situations.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with USC, except for the fact that it is USC.
smile.gif

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I got into columbia, northwestern, williams, yale, stanford so it's hard for me to relate.

just kidding (about the relate part)

btw have you visited these schools you are interested in? they all have douchebags, trust fund fuckfaces, people who you can't figure out how they got admitted, shallow people, etc. on the same token, I'm sure USC has some cool people you can relate to.

USC is a perfectly decent school. not sure how you could choose it over NYU or UCLA but that's done...

Die in a fire plz.

But really, that's quite an accomplishment... where did you end up going and why did you pick it? I'm curious because I think I'm trying to leave my current school for what probably is all the wrong reasons.

I've been to Columbia and I've been to UChicago/Northwestern. There are a lot of cool kids here; making friends and having fun hasn't been a problem. Like I said most of my desire to transfer is academic or prestige related.

Originally Posted by dave333
Junior? Probably too late.

Not to mention it is very hard to transfer to Ivies. They either try to get people from community colleges, or people with special achievements or situations.

Really?..... What's the deal with that?

Originally Posted by Connemara
Nothing wrong with USC, except for the fact that it is USC.
smile.gif

Ohio-State-sucks-castaway.jpg

Man, it's been a long long time since I recall Ohio State beating USC....

Originally Posted by bach
nitpicking here, but the average berkeley sat is like 2030, so 2050 isn't like AUTO ADMIT or anything. also, 25% of columbia admits have an sat of around 2050 or lower, so not a complete joke.

you never replied. i must say i'm pretty butthurt, no ****.

I nitpick you! I said "competitive" for admission.

And yeah, I had a draft saved but I never got around to sending it LOL.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Die in a fire plz. But really, that's quite an accomplishment... where did you end up going and why did you pick it? I'm curious because I think I'm trying to leave my current school for what probably is all the wrong reasons. I've been to Columbia and I've been to UChicago/Northwestern. There are a lot of cool kids here; making friends and having fun hasn't been a problem. Like I said most of my desire to transfer is academic or prestige related. Really?..... What's the deal with that?
Ohio-State-sucks-castaway.jpg
Man, it's been a long long time since I recall Ohio State beating USC.... I nitpick you! I said "competitive" for admission. And yeah, I had a draft saved but I never got around to sending it LOL.

There are some incredibly intelligent people who end up at community college because of less than desirable life circumstances. I've hired 2 people with that story

Mal

Reaction score
I would like to know what you plan on doing with a philosophy degree that isn't going to require more schooling making any choice now essentially irrelevant.

v.freeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mal
I would like to know what you plan on doing with a philosophy degree that isn't going to require more schooling making any choice now essentially irrelevant.

This.

brown eyes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Like I said most of my desire to transfer is academic or prestige related.

That'll translate really well when you write a personal statement for those Ivy League applications.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes
That'll translate really well when you write a personal statement for those Ivy League applications.

All he needs to do is check off that he's black and he'll get accepted in no time.
wink.gif

EMY

Reaction score
I was in your same exact situation and but decided not to transfer mainly because I knew I was going to go to grad school and everything was easy breezy at my undergrad school. Not worth it risking your GPA, imo.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes

Who has a legitimate reason for transferring that isn't money anyway?

Originally Posted by Mal

Prestige of undergrad factors into grad, no?

Originally Posted by CouttsClient
There are some incredibly intelligent people who end up at community college because of less than desirable life circumstances. I've hired 2 people with that story

I don't doubt there are smart kids at CC; I do doubt that the Ivies go out of their way to grant them admission though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads