• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OCBD collar roll thread

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Wait, what's going on? am I missing something?

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
^ Wait, what's going on? am I missing something?
Some new member started a thread yesterday to ask what his second jacket should be. His thread actually became a great place for some heavyweights on here (Vox, Mafoofan, etc) to discuss whether brown or grey jackets were better. I really appreciated the thread and thought it started a great discussion. The new member posted the above photo, which obviously has a kind of amateur collar. BlueHorseShoe made a joke about it and apparently took the liberty of taking the member's photo and posting it here for mocking. Obviously not a big deal since it's not like his collar is that atrocious. I just think it makes BlueHorseShoe look like a dickhead for trying to mock new members.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I personally can't stand OCBD

Ditto, button-down's strike me as bondage forced upon otherwise wonderful and unsuspecting naturally occurring collar rolls. I almost want to scream at the wearer or clothier "why did you do it?"

BBC

Reaction score
Just picked this up today. It's got the longest collar points I've seen on a RTW shirt = 4 3/16"

Troy Shirtmakers Guild for Guffey's (Atlanta)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I personally can't stand OCBD

Originally Posted by razl
Ditto, button-down's strike me as bondage forced upon otherwise wonderful and unsuspecting naturally occurring collar rolls. I almost want to scream at the wearer or clothier "why did you do it?"

That's alright, OCBDs probably don't like you either.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Just picked this up today. It's got the longest collar points I've seen on a RTW shirt = 4 3/16"

Troy Shirtmakers Guild for Guffey's (Atlanta)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Those points are so long that you can button them to your nipples.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cary_Grant_Notorious.png

BartBendt

Reaction score
Are the Brooks MTM shirts with unlined collars as good as the old Brooks shirts that BBC wears? Or do CEGO shirts compare? Has a consensus ever been reached on the best OCBD whether it's RTW, MTM or otherwise?

And BBC -- is there some trick to getting your shirts to roll like that other than them being unlined?

BBC

Reaction score
Ignore that Troy Shirtmakers above - that's a rather excessive example that I bought more for its rarity.

The Brooks unlined collar is about as good as it gets in my book - the only "trick" is to make sure the collar is actually tight enough so horizontal tension is created, tie your tie and pull it tight horizontally to the ground, and that's it - the collar will start to roll as soon as you move your head (the downward pressure from your neck will create the cavernous collar roll that I prefer).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads