• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredey

Reaction score
What would sizing be when comparing the Indy with the Red Wing GT?

HorseHide

Reaction score
There are some amazing shoes/boots that have hit the market in the last month. I've picked up: Epaulet ravello wing tip boot (barrie), Shoemart ravello NST (aberdeen), Alden DC cigar NST (aberdeen) and Alden DC cigar cap toe boot w commando sole (grant - these are amazing).

No mas!

BTW, I agree with all the comments about the new ravello releases - they are much darker.

eightdouble

Reaction score
there are so many pages in this thread, so sorry if it's been posted before... but does anyone have a pic of some natural chromexcel with a few years on it and maybe post treatment with a leather protector? i really wanna see how this looks after a few years of use.

PeterParker

Reaction score
^ To my knowledge, Alden only started making shoes in natural chromexcel in the past year so you won't see too many with a lot of wear. There was a pair posted just a few pages back which show the aging potential of the leather.

^^I'm rather disappointed that the colour of the ravello shell has changed to be so dark. It's only a shade lighter than cigar now. Given that the value and rarity of ravello shell is its lighter colour, it really loses its lustre and appeal to me in this darker colour. It's rather deceiving that this new colour is still called ravello when it's much closer to a light brown than the rich caramel colour of true ravello. My lust for a pair of ravello shell is quickly subsiding.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
There are some amazing shoes/boots that have hit the market in the last month. I've picked up: Epaulet ravello wing tip boot (barrie), Shoemart ravello NST (aberdeen), Alden DC cigar NST (aberdeen) and Alden DC cap toe boot w commando sole (grant - these are amazing).

No mas!

BTW, I agree with all the comments about the new ravello releases - they are much darker.

Sounds like one heck of a collection. What color is the Alden cap toe boot you picked up?

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by monologuist
Thanks!
Those pics along with the ones just posted above pretty much convince me that I prefer the storm-welt on Barrie last Shell Wingtip Boots. Maybe, it makes them less versatile, but for some reason I just prefer the look over the "dress boot" style ones that are flat welt, at least with more refined leathers like shell. With the CXL and Suede Wingtip boots, the flat welt look fine to me. Amazing how a tiny strip of leather trim can affect things...

I think I feel almost opposite of this. I say "almost" because I would have to see the differences in real life. I would have liked to see Leathersoul's Chromexel and Snuff WT boots with a storm welt because I feel those materials are more casual. I also think that a shell boot on the Barrie would look good with a regular flat welt because I think of shell as more formal than calf or suede and it would offer a cleaner, slimmer shape. I hear you though, you're not after a less dress boot. I happen to be in need of a dress boot. I agree that that little strip of leather makes a difference.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vinneus
loving my suede plain toe boots....
wbqa9z.jpg

1z4j239.jpg

Wearing the same pair today that I just got about two weeks ago. They are awesome with jeans and oh so comfortable. Love how soft the suede is along with the crepe sole. Could wear them all day without missing a step.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know not everyone believes the pen trick works but I still do it for my personal shoes because I'm anal like that. Here is a picture of one of my calf shoes that I used the pen trick on. The goal really is to crease the shoe at your foot's natural crease points, while helping to make uniform creases. Obviously the uniformity depends on your own foot.

pen.jpg

yuljo

Reaction score
Just to let the Toronto crowd know, Nomad has received a small shipment of Alden shoes to tide them over until spring.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by number9dream
Are those on the Barrie last? Very nice! I am a real fan of your collection -- makes my mouth water! I've lost sleep over those Ravello perf toes. I own a pair of AE Strands in Walnut, which are basically cheap imitations of those awesome Aldens!

thank you
you are correct it is the barrie last

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2h6f50y.jpg

cigar cap toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads