• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
What would be a good salty scotch to start out with.
Salt? Oban Distiller's Edition here by far.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talisker 18 has always had a salty note to me, very nautical. But it is discontinued or just really scarce now...

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle
What are some good recommendations of scotch for a beginner to try without spending too much money? Where would one start?

Originally Posted by Warren G.
My first single malt was the Highland park 12. It's really great all around and not that expensive either. Also don't be afraid to buy some samples. You can always buy some 50ml bottle.

+1 on the Highland park 12.

Also, I was just at the liquor store today, and the had a 750 of HP 12 packaged with a 50ml of HP 18 which has been rated as the best overall single malt by several critics. It was one of those 'gift sets' they do for the holidays, so they were basically giving away the 18. Kind of wish I wasn't sitting on a half bottle of 12 already.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Posted this in wrong thread, so re-post here...
img03431.jpg

I've never been a big scotch guy, but I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 after tasting for the first time last night. I knew it was special as soon as the peat hit my nose... I've never fallen in love with a scotch before but this is by far the best scotch i've ever had. I don't even have to drink it; I love just smelling the Lagavulin.

I bought the HP for something a little different. I've already poured myself a dram. It's ok, but I think I'm an Islay man. Gonna pick up bottles of Bowmore 12 and Laphroaig quarter cask next. Should probably try a good speyside too, but I really like the smoke.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodlife
+1 on the Highland park 12.

Also, I was just at the liquor store today, and the had a 750 of HP 12 packaged with a 50ml of HP 18 which has been rated as the best overall single malt by several critics. It was one of those 'gift sets' they do for the holidays, so they were basically giving away the 18. Kind of wish I wasn't sitting on a half bottle of 12 already.

Do it anyways. HP is teh goodness.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
well, if you do find some time, drop me a note on the book of faces. My body clock is pretty twisted lately, so a scotch lunch at midnight is all within normal for me right now, and I got a couple bars I'd like to show you.

Just got to my hotel... I don't think jet lag will be an issue until I get home. On that note, I did notice the Duty Free shop (on the way out of the states) had some interesting HPs for the Duty Free market sold by vintage rather than age (as well as some reasonably priced 1L jugs of the classics from Talisker and Ardbeg).

When I think salt, I think Talisker. The 10yr OB is a minimal investment for maximum salty punch.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Just got to my hotel... I don't think jet lag will be an issue until I get home. On that note, I did notice the Duty Free shop (on the way out of the states) had some interesting HPs for the Duty Free market sold by vintage rather than age (as well as some reasonably priced 1L jugs of the classics from Talisker and Ardbeg).

I haven't been out of Incheon in 3 years or more (last time I left the country, I went to Tokyo via Gimpo) so I can't remember what liquors they have... but SFO does have a damn good DFS. I guess you'll have to report back on the Incheon DFS selection because I'm going through there soon.
I am up and gonna do some work today and **** around a bit all day, so I will be awake and free later today (Monday) late night, if you want to grab a scotch. Find me on the book of feces.

syn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I've never been a big scotch guy, but I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 after tasting for the first time last night. I knew it was special as soon as the peat hit my nose... I've never fallen in love with a scotch before but this is by far the best scotch i've ever had. I don't even have to drink it; I love just smelling the Lagavulin.

I bought the HP for something a little different. I've already poured myself a dram. It's ok, but I think I'm an Islay man. Gonna pick up bottles of Bowmore 12 and Laphroaig quarter cask next. Should probably try a good speyside too, but I really like the smoke.

Might want to give Ardmore a try as well. It's a Highland with peat.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Our local Costco now has Lagavulin 16yr on sale for $49.99 (for the next couple weeks). This is an amazing deal.

+1. I just picked up a bottle last night. It normally costs $80 at BevMo (which is pretty reasonably priced), so at $50, it's a steal. We plan on having it for thanksgiving, pre-dinner, maybe with some blue cheese and apricot jam.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
+1. I just picked up a bottle last night. It normally costs $80 at BevMo (which is pretty reasonably priced), so at $50, it's a steal. We plan on having it for thanksgiving, pre-dinner, maybe with some blue cheese and apricot jam.

oh man, save it for after dinner. If you smoke, get yourself something nice to go with, and then have your scotch, the blue cheese with a little milk chocolate (awesome pairing)... apricot jam would go nicely with dried sardines or something, actually.

SteveStrohm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Posted this in wrong thread, so re-post here...
img03431.jpg

you may be disappointed with the Bowmore 12, its not very peaty/smokey. The Laphroaig Quarter Cask is legit and should be what you seem to be into. I just got a bottle of the cask strength Laphraoig. It's absurdly peaty but is great with a spoonfull or 3 or water.

Try Talisker if you were looking for a non Islay peat/smoke dram. I think it's in my top 3 next to Laga 16 and Ardbeg Biest.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SteveStrohm
you may be disappointed with the Bowmore 12, its not very peaty/smokey. The Laphroaig Quarter Cask is legit and should be what you seem to be into. I just got a bottle of the cask strength Laphraoig. It's absurdly peaty but is great with a spoonfull or 3 or water.

Try Talisker if you were looking for a non Islay peat/smoke dram. I think it's in my top 3 next to Laga 16 and Ardbeg Biest.

He might be disappointed with Bowmore 12. Good thing he didn't buy it though!

SteveStrohm

Reaction score
anyone ever watch Ralfystuf on youtube? Guy is awesome, funny, and gives out a ton of scotch info and reviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads